• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

True or False?

Squirt

"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has no demonstratable connection to Christian history whatsoever, and therefore does not have any meaningful relationship to the word 'Christian.'"

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
No need to defend yourself, or your church. It doesn't matter what other's think, only what you and your God think. Christianity is just a word. What matters is what's in your heart. ;)

evearael

False. I've heard similar about Baptists, Catholics, Jehovah's WItnesses, Jews for Jesus and just about every sect of Christianity I can think of... it's an empty and baseless claim made by one sect to demean another sect.

Pah

Uber all member
fredmatthew25 said:
What is it then that separates LDS from the true Christian religion? :)
Who said it was separarted? Who defines a "true" Christian religion?

evearael

the true Christian religion
Every sect within Christianity has their own interpretation of scripture and requirements for being a "true Christian." Sometimes the requirements of one sect are broad enough to also cover their neighbor's particular flavor of Christianity, sometimes not. The only One who truely knows which particular faith, or which particular sect, is correct is God, so in the mean time "judge not..."

Squirt

My apologies. I actually meant to include a poll with the OP, but messed up in the process. I ended up starting another thread (not realizing I'd actually submitted this one). It included a poll, but has been closed for moderator review. I'm not quite sure why.

fredmatthew25

The true Christian religion is the one established by the teachings of the early apostles. Rev. 20 warns about the condemnation of those who add to the Scriptures. To those who either add to the Bible, or to those who do not take the Bible as a whole in the teaching of doctrine, to them I would say they are not of the Christian religion.

Also, there are a couple of things that I would say are essential to Christianity:

-The Deity of Jesus Christ. Hebrews 1, Col. 3, etc.
-The sinfulness of man and his inability to get to God apart from faith in Christ.
-Salvation by grace through faith.
-Infallibility of Scripture.
-Personal relationship with God through the Holy Spirit.

There are probably others........

:) :) :)

You will know the truth and the truth will set you free. Likewise, if you are not in the truth, you are bound in chains you can never lift apart from the truth of Jesus Christ.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
False. But, where's your poll?

Perhaps you should post your congregation's definition of Christ. That might help to educate some on LDS false stereotypes.

Squirt

fredmatthew25 said:
The true Christian religion is the one established by the teachings of the early apostles. Rev. 20 warns about the condemnation of those who add to the Scriptures. To those who either add to the Bible, or to those who do not take the Bible as a whole in the teaching of doctrine, to them I would say they are not of the Christian religion.

Also, there are a couple of things that I would say are essential to Christianity:

-The sinfulness of man and his inability to get to God apart from faith in Christ.

You will know the truth and the truth will set you free. Likewise, if you are not in the truth, you are bound in chains you can never lift apart from the truth of Jesus Christ.
Well, your definition of a Christian not only excludes Mormons, but also Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Christians. Seems as if only Protestants are left, and I suspect you've eliminated a good many of them, too. Interesting.

Squirt

Buttercup said:
False. But, where's your poll?
I goofed. I have the darndest time setting up poles. I ended up setting one up in a different thread, but the thread was closed almost immediately. Nobody has bothered to explain why.

Perhaps you should post your congregation's definition of Christ. That might help to educate some on LDS false stereotypes.
That's been done several times during the past couple of days, Buttercup. I can refer you to the threads if you'd like.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Squirt said:
I goofed. I have the darndest time setting up poles. I ended up setting one up in a different thread, but the thread was closed almost immediately. Nobody has bothered to explain why.

That's been done several times during the past couple of days, Buttercup. I can refer you to the threads if you'd like.

Ok....you might just want to post the links here my dear Squirty. Just in case there's new comers.

I myself haven't read anything about LDS in the last couple of days. I may not be the only one. Just trying to help my LDS buddy out! :hug:

nutshell

Squirt said:

Yeah, I'd like to know too, Squirt.

Super Universe

Defender of God
fredmatthew25 said:

Dear sir, I believe true Christianity was established by Jesus, not the apostles.

How many of the books of the bible were written at the exact moment in time? The New Testament books are close but certainly the Old Testament books are thousands of years older.

Are these different books not divine revelation?

You say LDS is not a Christian religion because their book was founded after some hidden timeline you've created.

Anyone who follows Jesus teachings is a true Christian, no church needed.

Squirt

:hug:
Buttercup said:
Ok....you might just want to post the links here my dear Squirty. Just in case there's new comers.

I myself haven't read anything about LDS in the last couple of days. I may not be the only one. Just trying to help my LDS buddy out!
:hug: You're a sweetheart, Buttercup. Okay, here are a few quick thoughts on the subject of Jesus Christ. (These are my own words, but represent official LDS doctrine.)

Jesus Christ is the Only Begotten Son of God, and thus, God himself. He was with His Father in the beginning and, under His Father's direction, created "worlds without number," including our universe. He was the "firstborn among many brethren" (i.e. all of us) and was "the Lamb chosen before the foundation of the world," designated by our Father in Heaven to be the Savior of mankind. As the second person in the Godhead, He descended to earth, taking upon Himself a physical body, being born to a Virgin in the most humble of circumstances. He was the only person who has ever lived to have both a divine and a mortal parent. He lived a perfect life, absolutely free from sin. He obeyed His Father in all things, acknowledging His greatness and glory at all times. He established a Church before concluding His ministry, and appointed twelve men to oversee it in His absence. He consistently taught a gospel of love, mercy and forgiveness, and then, in the most unselfish act conceivable to mankind, offered Himself as a ransom for our sins. He took upon Himself the guilt we had incurred and would incur and suffered in a way that we cannot possibly imagine, both in Gethsemane and on Calvary. After three days in the tomb, He was literally resurrected from the dead. He remained among His Apostles for an additional 40 days and then ascended to His Father and God, where He reigns with Him today. He is our advocate with the Father. He lives and loves us and is waiting to bring us home again.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Jesus Christ is the Only Begotten Son of God, and thus, God himself. He was with His Father in the beginning
Sounds like the Jesus Christ I love as well. But what do I know? I am a Baptist! :biglaugh:

Adstar

Squirt said:
"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has no demonstratable connection to Christian history whatsoever, and therefore does not have any meaningful relationship to the word 'Christian.'"

True.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

A

angellous_evangellous

Pah said:
Who defines a "true" Christian religion?

Christians do.:D

It's a realatively simple idea. Let's say there's a guy named Jesse, and he starts a club called Calvinsim. They write down the central tenants of the idea, and the idea gets passed down and handed down by tradition. That which is included in the tradition is the definition, and everything else does not fit the definition. No matter how warm and fuzzy it makes us feel, it is something else.

BTW, great idea for a thread. I'm glad that we're talking about it.

Adstar

beckysoup61 said:
Hope you are kidding, but then again, what do I know, I'm a mormon.:bonk:

No i was not kidding. I see mormonism as the same as islam. Both where founded by a false prophet guided by an angel of satan.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days