• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

True meditation?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Greetings fellow Earthlings!

I was cruising around not really looking for anything specific and found this quote by Hakuin:

What is this true meditation? It is to make everything: coughing, swallowing, waving the arms, motion, stillness, words, action, the evil and the good, prosperity and shame, gain and loss, right and wrong, into one single koan.

It comes from this page - scroll down a bit -

Hakuin: Master of the Koan

Feel free to respond in any way you fancy!

:)

Yes Man

Premium Member
Interesting. I would have liked to see the article's sources cited so I could explore Hakuin's quotes more. I'm only a little familiar with Soto, and know almost nothing of Rinzai. I think a contemporary orthodox Soto practitioner might still be skeptical of what Hakuin is saying and reply as to having to clear the mind of distractions, that these "distractions" are simply meant to come and go and the root of practice is "just being" however clear or cloudy the mind may be.