• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Truck Driving

In spite of the fact that I'm 27 years old, I don't even have a driver's license yet, but once I do, I might be interested in eventually becoming a truck driver. I am attracted by the thought of traveling across the country for a living. Is any member of this forum a truck driver or know someone who is a truck driver? Do you enjoy being a truck driver? How long do you have to be driving an automobile before you can start learning to drive a truck? How difficult is it to drive a truck? What types of companies are willing to hire new drivers without prior experience since no one starts out having experience? Finally, a few years ago, I read about a job that some people consider to be better than truck driving, which is delivering RVs from the manufcturers to dealerships across the country. Does anybody know about this job? Answers to any of my questions would be much appreciated.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I drove tractor trailers in the past and am currently returning to the industry and hopefully employed by mid to late July. My personal experience as an OTR driver in the trucking industry is that of a love / hate relationship. I love it in that it gets in the blood so to speak akin to farmers loving the land, but its a dangerous and stressful job at the same time for various reasons that can put that love to a serious test. First and foremost get proper training and acquainted with federal and state regulations and safety guidelines as you will discover they are strict and not playing games. In the US there is no waiting limit to upgrade your car licence to a CDL.
There are age requirements but you are old enough so it shouldnt be a concern regarding interstate travel but you must obtain DOT certification which is a health exam that upon passing must be renewed every two years. A card and long form will be issued that needs to be maintained in your possession whenever you drive commercially. Truck driving is a skill that requires an intense awareness and dexterity is required to operate the vehicle properly using a varity of transmissions and gear patterns.
As far as company's go there are mega carriers around that will take in rookies that are able to afford the higher libality that comes with new drivers entering the industry and even old dogs like myself returning to the industry that had been out of the loop.
In summary, it can be a rewarding and fairly lucrative career with the right company and can certainly be satisfying but still one that requires a degree of resolve to see through retirement. Bottom line is I already know the pitfalls and while I hesitate in light of the danger and aggravation there is something about this career field that compells me to make a comeback and to remain until retirement. Good luck and if there is specifics post away a

Thanks for the information and advice. I will definitely take it to heart if I decide to go through with my plan to become a truck driver. If I have any more questions, I will post them. I will almost certainly being asking you questions in the future, either by posting them here or through PM, while I'm receiving training in preparation for taking the CDL test, and also when I'm applying for jobs, and afterward, when I (hopefully) get a job, if I need any further advice. In the meantime, I want to wish you good luck when you return to trucking in July.