• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Traditions of the Vanir

DakotaGypsy

Europe was visited by many invasions from Asia during its history.

I am descended from the original, the old Europeans, because of the blood that runs in my veins, O negative rare. Even though I am an Atheist, my father, also an Atheist, passed onto me the lore of the Gods and Goddesses of the Vanir which were worshipped in Old Europe before the arrival of the Aesir (from the East) from Asia.

It is a tradition in my family to have a special fondness for the thunder god Thor, even though he is claimed by the Aesir as the son of their father god, Odin. My study of European mythology leads me to believe that the tradition of the thunder god was firmly established in Europe well before the royalist Aesir thundered in upon their horses. The Aesir also had a different blood type, positive, and carried over type A blood from Asia. They worshipped the father god Odin and his consort, Frigg, the trickster Loki. In Norse mythology is recalled the battles that occured between the Aesir and the original people of Europe who followed the Vanir. A sort of peace was made, and the old gods of the Vanir, Freya and Freyr, the lusty twins, their parents Niord, the ocean, and his consort Nerthus, the earth, became a part of the Aesir league of deities--and arguably, Thor and his spouse Sif who were suddenly made the children of Odin and Frig--Thor, I mean, not Sif.

At any rate, the Aesir, Odin and his sort, were very much into playing the class game, they were associated with horses--my father did not approve of horses as they represented the trappings of royalty and the overly rich--and there was a definite class system within the Aesir scheme of things.

One may examine the myth of Heimdal and his interaction with certain humans and come out with both a Vanic interpretation of the myth or with an interpretation that would be favored by those who follow Aesir.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
DakotaGypsy said:
Europe was visited by many invasions from Asia during its history.

I am descended from the original, the old Europeans, because of the blood that runs in my veins, O negative rare. Even though I am an Atheist, my father, also an Atheist, passed onto me the lore of the Gods and Goddesses of the Vanir which were worshipped in Old Europe before the arrival of the Aesir (from the East) from Asia.

Where do you get that from? Just curious, I'm O- too. :)

DakotaGypsy said:
It is a tradition in my family to have a special fondness for the thunder god Thor, even though he is claimed by the Aesir as the son of their father god, Odin. My study of European mythology leads me to believe that the tradition of the thunder god was firmly established in Europe well before the royalist Aesir thundered in upon their horses. The Aesir also had a different blood type, positive, and carried over type A blood from Asia. They worshipped the father god Odin and his consort, Frigg, the trickster Loki. In Norse mythology is recalled the battles that occured between the Aesir and the original people of Europe who followed the Vanir. A sort of peace was made, and the old gods of the Vanir, Freya and Freyr, the lusty twins, their parents Niord, the ocean, and his consort Nerthus, the earth, became a part of the Aesir league of deities--and arguably, Thor and his spouse Sif who were suddenly made the children of Odin and Frig--Thor, I mean, not Sif.

Well, I think it is important to state up front that we know VERY little about the Vanir, but I do agree with you that they are older, and that they were the gods of a peaceful, more agricultural society. The Aesir were the gods of the more warlike and industrialized, pre-urban, germanic tribes. I am personally drawn more to the Vanir, to Heimdallr, Freya, and Freyr.

DakotaGypsy said:
At any rate, the Aesir, Odin and his sort, were very much into playing the class game, they were associated with horses--my father did not approve of horses as they represented the trappings of royalty and the overly rich--and there was a definite class system within the Aesir scheme of things.

Excellent Points!!!!

Nehustan

While being a monotheist believing that the beings called gods were perhaps advanced beings (as is said in my faith if there were gods would they not have worshipped the absolute and infinite), I have always, when reading of the northern traditions been drawn more to Vanaheim and the Vanir over the Aesir and Asgard. I have often though about Woden (hey hey its wodensday!!!) and thought about the Islamic tradition which teaches that the antichrist will be one eyed. Probably not relevant tho'.

DakotaGypsy

I base my claims on the history of blood types on a book, Eat Right 4 Your Type by Dr. Peter D’Adamo.

I don't know if I agree with D'Adamo's conclusions on diet, but I'm pretty sure he's right on in his examination of blood types and human history.

O negative appears to be the universal blood donor type, whereas Type O negative people can receive blood transfusions only from other Type O negative people.

It would seem that the first humans had O negative blood. The other types developed later due to possible mutation, changes in diet, etc. This point may be arguable--I haven't been able to find any solid proof yet.

At any rate, we type Os are supposed to hunt down furry little animals and devour them, blood, fur and all. I'm exaggerating, of course, because supposedly Os are supposed to be the hunter sort. Type As and Bs are supposed to be the farmer sort who milk cows and grow rice and don't eat as much meat.

That's a gross generalization that I make because I am rather amused by the conclusions of D'Adamo's book. He actually might be correct, though--I don't know that his claims have been widely disputed.