• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toxic positivity

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Here's an article on it, for those who don't know what it means, or what actions indicate it's happening.

Personally, I try, not always successfully, to be neither overly optimistic, nor pessimistic, but plain old realistic.
I've known a few people who, by my observations, suffered from toxic positivity. A simple example is the parent who can't say anything at all even corrective about the child's behavior because 'the child's self-esteem will suffer.' Another example is the religious person who keeps saying, "Don't worry, 'God' will take care of it."

Any thoughts or experiences to share in this regard to share, to provide further insight?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Here's an article on it, for those who don't know what it means, or what actions indicate it's happening.

Personally, I try, not always successfully, to be neither overly optimistic, nor pessimistic, but plain old realistic.
I've known a few people who, by my observations, suffered from toxic positivity. A simple example is the parent who can't say anything at all even corrective about the child's behavior because 'the child's self-esteem will suffer.' Another example is the religious person who keeps saying, "Don't worry, 'God' will take care of it."

Any thoughts or experiences to share in this regard to share, to provide further insight?
I sometimes get this from certain family members. I'm fighting it, and the impulses their influences have left, causing me to sometimes exhibit 'toxic positivity' towards myself.

I'm finding it healthier to say "this sucks" than to push myself to say "its fine"...

"Its fine, its fine, its fine... IT'S NOT FINE!" is more hectic to deal with then a bland "Yup, it sucks. Still sucks. Moving along."

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

It's an interesting subject.

Personally though, I'd say that even "toxic realism" should be a thing in general - it happens when you meet a realist that constantly points out the obvious (you aren't -- I'm just talking about people I've met before and had conversations with).

Whether there's a real term for this, I haven't looked... but I'm just saying that I think too much optimism, pessimism, and realism can all be bad - especially in cases where one enters with it without reading the room.