• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 5 cancer causing foods hot off your barbecue grill

dust1n

Zindīq
When food is barbecued, it becomes laced with compounds known as heterocyclic amines, HCAs. Not only are these compounds unhealthy, but in 2005, the government added HCAs to its ever-growing list of cancer-causing compounds.

According to the National Cancer Institute, HCAs form when amino acids (the building blocks of proteins) and creatine (a chemical found in muscles) react at high cooking temperatures. Researchers have identified 17 different HCAs resulting from the cooking of muscle meats that may pose human cancer risk.

Dietitians with the Cancer Project, an affiliate of the Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine have analyzed foods cooked with high heat, such as barbecued foods, and created a list of the 5 worst foods to grill.

The report offers healthier alternatives that do not produce HCAs when grilled, including vegetable kabobs, vegetarian “chicken” patties, and veggie burgers.
Click through this slide show to reveal the list in reverse order, ending with the food that is worst to grill. The number one food may just surprise you.

#5 -- A grilled hamburger contains 130 nanograms of HCAs per 3.5 ounce portion.

#4 --Grilled salmon contains 166 nanograms of HCAs per 3.5 ounce portion.

#3 -- Grilled pork contains 470 nanograms of HCAs per 3.5 ounce portion.

#2 -- A grilled steak contains 810 nanograms of HCAs per 3.5 ounce portion.

The WORST food to grill is chicken. Grilled chicken contains 1,400 nanograms of HCAs per 3.5 ounce portion. Chicken is NOT a health food.

Top 5 cancer causing foods hot off your barbecue grill

brbubba

Underling
So wouldn't these cancer causing agents be present in anything that is cooked? Unless maybe you are cooking something sous-vide.

idea

Question Everything
Suntan lotion 'raises risk of cancer'
Suntan lotion 'raises risk of cancer' | Mail Online

Sunlight good for you - Vitamin D, skin cancer prevention suntan sunburn
Sunlight Prevents Skin Cancer

so... getting into the sun helps you avoid skin cancer and...
suntan lotion causes skin cancer ;)

"Results in a study published in the Feb. 2, 2005 issue of the Journal of the National Cancer Institute [2] have Scientists baffled. The results show that exposure to sunlight actually reduces the risk of skin cancer."

Could it be that sunscreens are causing skin cancer? [7] [8]

In 1991 Professor Johan Moan of the Norwegian Cancer Institute made an astounding discovery [9] . He found that the yearly incidence of melanoma in Norway had increased by 350% for men and by 440% for women during the period 1957 to 1984. He also determined that there had been no change in the ozone layer over this period of time. He concludes his report in the British Journal of Cancer by stating "Ozone depletion is not the cause of the increase in skin cancers".

There is still no denying the fact that the highest incidences of skin cancer have actually occurred in countries where the use of chemical sunscreens containing benzophenone and oxybenzone and PABA have been promoted the most. The irony is that the chemical sunscreen industry makes money by selling sunscreen lotion products which is promoted to prevent skin cancer, but the ingredients used actually contain cancer-causing chemicals. [10]"

Last edited:

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond

Ive seriously wondered about that lately. I wouldnt be surprised if it were the case. The way I see it is, im human, im on earth, there is sun, and I was born to be out on earth where the sun is. (^_^)

I think peoples idea of cancer and what causes it, will change in the semi near future somehow.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I stopped caring about cancer causing claims when a group out of Ohio State claimed that there is evidence that taking a shower causes cancer.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.

I don't know anything about the 1st one, but about the 2nd, it should be clarified that if you let yourself get burnt, yes it'll go brown, but burning is damaged skin, and causes cancer. Sunlight is good, but there's such also too much of a good thing. Especially down here in NZ where there's alot more UV than in the Northern Hemisphere.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Chicken? Salmon?
Even suntan lotion?

I'm starting to wonder what doesn't increase cancer risk nowadays.

I'd be interested in knowing what kind of chicken they used, too: free range, battery, organic, or what? I wonder if the type of environment the meat is raised in would have an effect on it?

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
I'm starting to wonder what doesn't increase cancer risk nowadays
Chocolate.
drool.gif