• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Too much in incharacter?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
A reply from Netdoc on another thread got me thinking. Is it possible for an actor to be incharacter too much?
it was a re-enactment of Florida's Indian wars and the soldier was deep into Character. So much so that his bigotry was truly offensive and I complaigned about it to the Park Ranger
Having acted for several years, I would applaud the above actors skills for making it very believable.
I also know many indy wrestlers who will push every button possible to get the crowd to want to see him get his head pounded in. One of them was at a city that is mainly filled with trailor parks, and he was telling his faction in the ring that Dominoes was delivering a few pizzas, and then he looked at the crowd and said, but you guys don't worry, because they dont accept food stamps. And most of the people do use food stamps in that town. That really got the crowd wanting to tear his head off. It also allowed for a bigger reaction when the his rival came out, defended the audience, and pounded the guy and made him run. In the locker room, we was joking around saying "Don, someone from that crowd is gonna be waiting for you in the parking lot for saying that." But it was entertainment, and the crowd enjoyed watching Don not being able to back up his mouth and get beaten for it.
On a non-violent stage, I have played several roles were I was able to build up tension. One of my favorites was Agatha Christies "Ten Little Indians." I played General MacKenzie, who goes insane just before he dies. On stage, I didn't act mad, I was mad. I even had the two actresses playing Vera Claythorn arguing over who was going to rehearse that scene, since I litterally scared both of them. I even had most of the audience convienced I was the killer.
After giving a couple examples, I say the more in character, the better.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Luke Wolf said:
A reply from Netdoc on another thread got me thinking. Is it possible for an actor to be incharacter too much?
Having acted for several years, I would applaud the above actors skills for making it very believable.
I also know many indy wrestlers who will push every button possible to get the crowd to want to see him get his head pounded in. One of them was at a city that is mainly filled with trailor parks, and he was telling his faction in the ring that Dominoes was delivering a few pizzas, and then he looked at the crowd and said, but you guys don't worry, because they dont accept food stamps. And most of the people do use food stamps in that town. That really got the crowd wanting to tear his head off. It also allowed for a bigger reaction when the his rival came out, defended the audience, and pounded the guy and made him run. In the locker room, we was joking around saying "Don, someone from that crowd is gonna be waiting for you in the parking lot for saying that." But it was entertainment, and the crowd enjoyed watching Don not being able to back up his mouth and get beaten for it.
On a non-violent stage, I have played several roles were I was able to build up tension. One of my favorites was Agatha Christies "Ten Little Indians." I played General MacKenzie, who goes insane just before he dies. On stage, I didn't act mad, I was mad. I even had the two actresses playing Vera Claythorn arguing over who was going to rehearse that scene, since I litterally scared both of them. I even had most of the audience convienced I was the killer.
After giving a couple examples, I say the more in character, the better.
I have never acted (well, once in a silly amateur dramatic company), but I know what you are talking about.

I agree, the more in character, the better; when you hear how even soap stars research into details when using a particular subject such as rape, or mental ilness.....well, you realize how much they put in the part...

The nearest I have ever come to that was when I used to be a voracious reader.

I would get through a novel every two days; I'd read it on the bus to and from work, during my lunch hours (I speed read). Sometimes, I'd shut the book after an hour's reading, and found that it took me awhile to 'find my bearings' - I always got so 'involved' in the book; it was as if I was one of the characters in the book.

It sure was a good way to relax; for an hour or so, I'd not be myself..........:D

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Absolutely. Certain personality types can immerse themselves in other roles, whether it be in acting, reading, writing, or some other way, that they 'lose' themself in doing so.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
jamaesi said:
Sometimes I hope Tom Cruise is just acting...
Unfortunately I don't think he is...:(
Whatever plot he started with has parted company with him and started throwing rocks. Possibly that's why there are so many of them in his head at the moment.:bonk:

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Unfortunately I don't think he is...:(
Whatever plot he started with has parted company with him and started throwing rocks. Possibly that's why there are so many of them in his head at the moment.:bonk:
You.. you.. hope-hater! Leave me to my delusions.... ;_;

I heard that apparently he and Katie are trying to spawn... which makes me more sad for the future.

Nehustan

I think it depends on which method you apply. I'm thinking Constantin Stanislavski here, and which books you may or may not have read 'An Actor Prepares' or 'Building a Character'.

The difference between the two is comically summed up in a little thespian story. During the filming of 'The Mission' ( http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0091530/ ) De Niro spent days pulling 'conquestador' equipment through a South American jungle to 'get into the part'. Jeremy Irons on the other hand, sat, drank and played cards with the crew. Eventually De Niro in a fit of rage burst up to Irons stating 'How are you ever going to play your part if all you do is sit around getting drunk and gambling!!!!!??????' Jeremy Irons replied 'Well my dear Mr. De Niro, I shall act old chap, I shall act.'

Just to make people on the forum smile, I often travel around on our underground system and invariably talk to myself (what am I meant to do...it's hard to find stimulating debate these days!!!!). If someone looks startled by my monologue I often smile at them saying 'Don't worry, practising Thespian, working on my soliloquies' unfortunately oft' they look no happier....

:biglaugh:​

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
jamaesi said:
You.. you.. hope-hater! Leave me to my delusions.... ;_;

I heard that apparently he and Katie are trying to spawn... which makes me more sad for the future.
Trying to spawn? Have you no news service in Brazil? The girl's taken pregnant. And will give birth in the 'silent' Scientology way, to forstall the possibility of insanity in the newborn caused by his/her mother being able to have a bit of nitrous oxide and the right to scream her guts out during the labour, should she so desire. Obviously something thought up by some idiot man, who should be kicked in the groin repeatedly until his eyes swell shut.Knockout
Then again, as our Tom has recently come out and told us that mental illness is all in your mind - throw away those anti psychotics and be free! - that's sort of like putting up an electric fence to keep out the boogeyman.
I think he inhaled too many avgas fumes when he was making 'Top Gun'.:help:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
what am I meant to do...it's hard to find stimulating debate these days!!!!
I'm sure Duet could help ya out with that one.

I will admit, when I was playing General MacKenzie, I did watch alot of MASH episodes, studying Colonel Potter. I took that mostly for the first act, and added in the insanity of The Warheart, and came up with a frightening character. I haven't read those books, actually I've never heard of them, but I will look around for them to read them.

Linus

Acting is not pretending to be another character, it is being another character. I acted for several years as well, doing plays both in high school and college, and can say from both watching and performing, that the more into a character you are, the more the audience will (or, at least, should) enjoy it. When you are playing a character, you need to be as accurate as possible. So, if your character is a racist, then you have to become racist in order to more accurately portray that character. After all, it isn't what the actor necessarily believes in his/her every day life...

Beck63Don

lady_lazarus said:
Trying to spawn? Have you no news service in Brazil? The girl's taken pregnant. And will give birth in the 'silent' Scientology way, to forstall the possibility of insanity in the newborn caused by his/her mother being able to have a bit of nitrous oxide and the right to scream her guts out during the labour, should she so desire. Obviously something thought up by some idiot man, who should be kicked in the groin repeatedly until his eyes swell shut.Knockout
Then again, as our Tom has recently come out and told us that mental illness is all in your mind - throw away those anti psychotics and be free! - that's sort of like putting up an electric fence to keep out the boogeyman.
I think he inhaled too many avgas fumes when he was making 'Top Gun'.:help:
Scientology sucks. That's just my opinion.;)

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Is this then a scathing acceptance of "Brother Ed's" little charade? Acting is a noble profession, but it does not give you a license to act irresponsibly. Impersonating an officer outside of a sanctioned film/theatre production is definite no-no. Pretending to be a terrorist would be ill advised anywhere in the USA.

I had the pleasure to visit the little house where Stonewall Jackson died (and where his hand is buried). There were two actors employed by the National Park Service depicting a Southern soldier and a Southern lady. While they stayed pretty true to form, they were careful to add caveats from time to time. It was important for them to point out to children that bigotry was not acceptable and that the Civil war was anything but civil. It was a great blending of fact and role playing and I was never offended by their demeanor.

Contrast this with the man playing the soldier during the Seminole Wars, and we have a horse of a different color. My children were exposed to hatred and bigotry and there were no explanations as to what he was doing. My daughter was quite concerned why the man was so mean and hateful.

Linus

NetDoc said:
Is this then a scathing acceptance of "Brother Ed's" little charade? Acting is a noble profession, but it does not give you a license to act irresponsibly. Impersonating an officer outside of a sanctioned film/theatre production is definite no-no. Pretending to be a terrorist would be ill advised anywhere in the USA.
I thought that was pretty obvious...

NetDoc said:
I had the pleasure to visit the little house where Stonewall Jackson died (and where his hand is buried). There were two actors employed by the National Park Service depicting a Southern soldier and a Southern lady. While they stayed pretty true to form, they were careful to add caveats from time to time. It was important for them to point out to children that bigotry was not acceptable and that the Civil war was anything but civil. It was a great blending of fact and role playing and I was never offended by their demeanor.

Contrast this with the man playing the soldier during the Seminole Wars, and we have a horse of a different color. My children were exposed to hatred and bigotry and there were no explanations as to what he was doing. My daughter was quite concerned why the man was so mean and hateful.
I see your point, brother, but you can't honestly blame the actor in this case. In both scenarios you describe above, it seems like the actors are doing their jobs, and, from what you describe, doing them well. The Civil War actors were teaching a lesson, and the Seminole War actor was portraying a character. I can't imagine them making those kinds of decisions behind their employer's back. If that were the case, they would most likely be fired and replaced. Some performances are not intended for children, so it would seem to me to be the responsibility of the parent to explain the situation.

Scuba Pete

The employer is probably MORE culpable than the actor. Both of these occured on government owned parks. The Indian War Soldier was at the Devil's Millhopper in Gaineville and a State Park. Stonewall's death house is a National Park. As a citizen, I should never have to worry about being offended on MY property. While historic re-enactments are great, care should be exercized so that they don't cross the line into being overtly hostile to mind, body or soul.

Linus

NetDoc said:
As a citizen, I should never have to worry about being offended on MY property. While historic re-enactments are great, care should be exercized so that they don't cross the line into being overtly hostile to mind, body or soul.
But how much historical accuracy are you willing to sacrifice for that?

Scuba Pete

Linus,

to understand my take, you have to realise just how painful bigotry of ANY kind is to me! It hurts my soul and while we should understand it, we surely don't need it "glorified" or "justified" in any way. Bigots occupy the same realm as wife beaters, pedophiles and rapists.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I find nothing wrong with following the script, and making it look real. I havent even yelled "Son of a B****!" on a stage that is family intended, and, heaven forbid, have said "Damn." on a high school stage. I actually got in trouble for that. Last play I did for that teacher/director. If its in the script, I feel as an actor, it is my responsibility to portray the character as the play author intended, and say or do whatever.