• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Too many answers that should remain as open questions

arcanum

Everybody is too full of answers, bring up any unknowable topic and representatives from any given religious sect will have an approved and certain answer for it, none of them verifiable of course. Perhaps some things should remain mysteries, open questions to be continually pondered on, because they are unknowable. I see people on these forums speak with such certainty, in light of their faith, on matters that nobody really knows or can know the answer to. Usually their answer is based on their particular faiths interpretation and often appropriation of scripture that probably meant something very different to the person who wrote it. Too much certainty, too many full cups, for some things it's ok not to know the answer to. It's ok not to know sometimes, then you may come closer to it, maybe not. But personally I think it's best to let some questions remain open, being an empty cup, spilling out the stale to make room for the new, then eventually dumping that too. Everyday I have more questions, which instead of leading to answers only leads to more questions. Perhaps it's better to have deeper questions, than contrived and sterile answers like one would find in a dusty old file cabinet.

Last edited:

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I agree. Have any examples specifically on your mind?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
It is said that Hel has two appearances.

She is the epitome of beauty and grace, radiating all things with a soft, warm light, and smiling together with full lips and soft eyes that say, "I love you, no matter what."

She is the most hideous thing to behold, where her very presence sucks all color from the world, black, skeletal eyes full of judgment, and a toothy, smelly smile that says, "Come on, give this old hag a kiss."

So, which one is Her True Self? Trying to answer that question is one reason why there shouldn't be any "certainty" in these matters, since it's subjective.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
For me, getting various different answers for a question helps me to more understand the question. We all see things differently, we all experience things differently, therefore, we are going to have different answers for questions including religious questions.

arcanum

For me, getting various different answers for a question helps me to more understand the question. We all see things differently, we all experience things differently, therefore, we are going to have different answers for questions including religious questions.
Oh I love to see all the diversity of opinion on these things, and I've learned a lot, but as a result of all these exchanges over the years my certainty was driven out of me. Being exposed to so many viewpoints, I realized there was so much of what I thought I knew as truth was often only opinion masquerading as truth or erroneous and speculative interpretations handed down to me. Once I checked my certainty at the door a whole new world opened up to me.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Oh I love to see all the diversity of opinion on these things, and I've learned a lot, but as a result of all these exchanges over the years my certainty was driven out of me. Being exposed to so many viewpoints, I realized there was so much of what I thought I knew as truth was often only opinion masquerading as truth or erroneous and speculative interpretations handed down to me. Once I checked my certainty at the door a whole new world opened up to me.

This doesn't contradict your OP?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

Although I am a Christian, I am a born skeptic. I question everything. We are truly certain of very little. It is certain that I am a human female, but everything else is shrouded in mystery. Even for me, my answers for questions will change over time as I learn more.