• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today, I played God.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Today I played God.

A tiny insect managed to land in my cup of coffee. (Fortunately the coffee was not hot.) I carefully fished it out and placed it on my desk. It did a lot of squirming and struggling, and it was difficult to tell if it had been seriously injured or just needed to dry off. My dilemma was whether to put it out of its misery or let it live as long as possible. In a way, I was playing God. Eventually, the insect crawled to the edge of the desk and fell to where I could not see or reach it.

My thought was: Well now, the creature was in the hands of the real God--if He exists. Would the God you believe in care about the fate of an insect?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
retrorich said:
Today I played God.

A tiny insect managed to land in my cup of coffee. (Fortunately the coffee was not hot.) I carefully fished it out and placed it on my desk. It did a lot of squirming and struggling, and it was difficult to tell if it had been seriously injured or just needed to dry off. My dilemma was weather to put it out of its misery or let it live as long as possible. In a way, I was playing God. Eventually, the insect crawled to the edge of the desk and fell to where I could not see or reach it.

My thought was: Well now, the creature was in the hands of the real God--if He exists. Would the God you believe in care about the fate of an insect?
I believe he would; if he cares about us, he cares about insects; they are just as 'important' as we are.;)

Bangbang

retrorich said:
Today I played God.

A tiny insect managed to land in my cup of coffee. (Fortunately the coffee was not hot.) I carefully fished it out and placed it on my desk. It did a lot of squirming and struggling, and it was difficult to tell if it had been seriously injured or just needed to dry off. My dilemma was weather to put it out of its misery or let it live as long as possible. In a way, I was playing God. Eventually, the insect crawled to the edge of the desk and fell to where I could not see or reach it.

A all loving good god would have placed him on the ground so he would not have fallen off the desk to his death.:biglaugh:

Bishka

Veteran Member
I believe God cares about every living thing, whether it is a human, bug or plant. He created this world, so He cares for it. Just as a loving parent should.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
My G-d cares about all life.

I hate that insect thing. I always fish them out of cups or pools and they squirm around and I just don't know if I really saved them or prolonged their suffering. If they don't take off after a while I squish them. :/ It's not out of malice- just concern- so I hope G-d doesn't think me a murderer.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
I don't believe in God. But I do believe in the sacredness of life. I was a vegan vegetarian for five years, but had to give it up for health reasons. I hate killing.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
retrorich said:
I don't believe in God. But I do believe in the sacredness of life. I was a vegan vegetarian for five years, but had to give it up for health reasons. I hate killing.
Bravo!:clap Fruball for yet another demonstration that an atheist can be even more moral than a religious person.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
I was a vegetarian for about 6 years then a pesctarian (I ate just fish) for two years but gave both up when I came to Brasil.

If I didn't eat meat, I would get sick or starve here- They eat so much meat here. ;_;

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I am much the same as Rich; I became a vegetarian, fell ill (because way back when I did there was no one to give dietary advice), and was told to eat meat by my dooctor.

It then occurred to me that fish and vegetables are justas deserving of respect; so now I just accept that living beings need to give up their life so that my body be nourished.

I accept the sacrifice with sadness.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
retrorich said:
Today I played God...
Since I believe that all things serve God's purpose, have you considered that the insect's purpose was to cause you to reconsider the view that God does not exist? ;)

BTW...I hate killing as well, but some of the insects are too icky and need to get squashed. :)

maggie2

Well, Retrorich, I applaud your willingness to be open to the possibility of God. You don't believe in God but yet you would try to imagine what it might be like to BE God. And certainly you exhibited caring characteristics and that certainly seems to be God-like to me. Thanks for sharing your buggy adverture.

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent
CaptainXeroid said:
BTW...I hate killing as well, but some of the insects are too icky and need to get squashed. :)
I usually only kill insects if my wife is yelling at me to do so ... :)

As a kid I kept bugs as pets. I always get very excited when I see a praying mantis, unless it's a dead one -- then I get very sad.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
CaptainXeroid said:
Since I believe that all things serve God's purpose, have you considered that the insect's purpose was to cause you to reconsider the view that God does not exist? ;)
It did NOT cause me to reconsider the view that God does not exist. I am still content with my atheism. I am, however, interested in how people such as you who do believe in God feel about God's concern, or lack of concern, about creatures such as insects.
How about icky people? :eek:

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NetDoc said:
Let me get this straight: You baptised a fly. Was it with Rich's baptism or was it another? :D

Naughty (for an atheist) but very funny. fruballs for you!:biglaugh:

retrorich said:
It did NOT cause me to reconsider the view that God does not exist. I am still content with my atheism. I am, however, interested in how people such as you who do believe in God feel about God's concern, or lack of concern, about creatures such as insects. How about icky people? :eek: [/font]
I see what you are trying to get to Rich, and the question is very valid, and goes far deeper than squashing flies................

God let us have this 'playground' on which to be tested (as I a theist sees it), and yet we have to kill to survive. There is one massively long chain of killing of living beings that ends with man; whether we like it or not, by proxy or directly, we have to kill (be it a cow, a cabbage or a tree (to build a house)). One cannot, of course know how God feels about this, but I would expect him to know that it is nature, a 'must be' in the equation of the whole world.

The fact that some of us can feel a sense of part-repentence by admitting that living beings are killed every day, for our sustenance, and can give thanks to those beings for their sacrifice help, IMO.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
retrorich said:
It did NOT cause me to reconsider the view that God does not exist. I am still content with my atheism. I am, however, interested in how people such as you who do believe in God feel about God's concern, or lack of concern, about creatures such as insects.
Glad to hear it, and of course, I am content with my belief in God and His Son Jesus Christ.:162: I just find it interesting that people who profess that God does not exist are so curious about how those of us who do believe in God relate to Him.:)
retrorich said:
How about icky people? :eek:
It depends on the person. When I pop into chat, name a few & we'll see.

BTW...did you ever find out what happened to that insect?:p

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
CaptainXeroid said:
Funny you should ask that, I have a slightly dizzy ghost of an insect here complaining that he has been abused by a human............

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
CaptainXeroid said:
Glad to hear it, and of course, I am content with my belief in God and His Son Jesus Christ.:162: I just find it interesting that people who profess that God does not exist are so curious about how those of us who do believe in God relate to Him.:)
Well speaking for myself, I find the concept of God fascinating, though totally unbelievable to me. I love to discuss religion, as you well know. :)
No. It dropped out of sight behind my desk where I couldn't search for it. Maybe it's just as well. I felt bad enough as it was.