• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To the "KJV Onlyists" Please Read Your Preface by the Translators

For my whole life I've been around KJV Onlyists who are Christian Fundamentalists by the way. Trust me, they will start attacking their fellow Christians with things like this for those who don't use the KJV translation:

"KJV is the one and only best Bible translation, fool!"

"We will not conform to the NKJV, ESB, NIV, AKJV etc. because the KJV one is perfect and the other ones are satanic!"

Let me ask you, how are you peaceful when acting like this? Well, I implore you to read the KJV Preface by the very translators themselves and let them REALLY open your mind to the truth of their own translation and work.

Excerpts from the KJV 1611 Preface:

The Translators To the Reader

1. The translators acknowledging other Bible versions can be just as good. Like the two Geneva Bible translations 1560, 1599 and the Bishop's Bible, 1568.
Zeal to promote the common good, whether it be by devising anything ourselves, or revising that which hath been laboured by others, deserveth certainly much respect and esteem.

2. The Translators acknowleging that their work is NOT perfect and that the hand of infallibility rests on the apostle's hands only. Not the KJV translators.
[There is] no cause . . . why the word translated should be denied to be the word, or forbidden to be current [“circulated”], notwithstanding that some imperfections and blemishes may be noted in the setting forth of it. For whatever was perfect under the sun, where Apostles or apostolic men, that is, men endued with an extraordinary measure of God’s Spirit, and privileged with the privilege of infallibility, had not their hand?

Well, that sums this argument up pretty well. Here's a link to the very long KJV Preface. I want to also note that it doesn't make much sense to be an advocate for the 1611 KJV Bible as the Geneva translators did a much better job at creating their Geneva Bible. It was even the first Bible to have numbered verses which came about over half a century before the KJV! It also had pictures and footnotes which the KJV never did surprisingly.

The Geneva Bible was the first Bible to hit the U.S from the Mayflower Journey 1620-1648 so I hear, to Plymouth. The Mayflower Puritans never chose the KJV.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
For my whole life I've been around KJV Onlyists who are Christian Fundamentalists by the way. Trust me, they will start attacking their fellow Christians with things like this for those who don't use the KJV translation:
They have become pretty rare. I haven't seen many KJV-only fans online not for a long time. There are still churches that have this as a rule, but I don't think they have a strong online presence.

Aren't there worse things though than sticking to a particular translation?

"We will not conform to the NKJV, ESB, NIV, AKJV etc. because the KJV one is perfect and the other ones are satanic!"

Let me ask you, how are you peaceful when acting like this? Well, I implore you to read the KJV Preface by the very translators themselves and let them REALLY open your mind to the truth of their own translation and work.

1. The translators acknowledging other Bible versions can be just as good. Like the two Geneva Bible translations 1560, 1599 and the Bishop's Bible, 1568.

2. The Translators acknowleging that their work is NOT perfect and that the hand of infallibility rests on the apostle's hands only. Not the KJV translators.

Well, that sums this argument up pretty well. Here's a link to the very long KJV Preface. I want to also note that it doesn't make much sense to be an advocate for the 1611 KJV Bible as the Geneva translators did a much better job at creating their Geneva Bible. It was even the first Bible to have numbered verses which came about over half a century before the KJV! It also had pictures and footnotes which the KJV never did surprisingly.

The Geneva Bible was the first Bible to hit the U.S from the Mayflower Journey 1620-1648 so I hear, to Plymouth. The Mayflower Puritans never chose the KJV.
I do have a KJV that I use occasionally as a reference. It was presented to me sometime ago and the "preface" had been removed. Regardless of this, the edition I have (edition/printing date unknown) has the name of "God" in only 7 places: Genesis 22;14; Exodus 6;3, 17:15; Judges 6:24; Psalms 83:18; Isaiah 12:2' 26:4. Modern/updated editions have removed the name of God and replaced it with "lord" or some other solemn title.. If you know, what is the purpose of this?

Tomef

People like to believe they got at least one thing right in their life.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
I understand the impulse behind the idea even if it's misguided. Having a single, authoritative translation makes for a rather neat and tidy state of affairs. The KJV is also beautifully composed with its thees and thous giving an almost sacred aura to the text.

RestlessSoul

Birthed between Shakespeare and John Milton, the KJV arrived in a golden era of English letters. Whatever else it is, it’s a literary masterpiece

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I’m a KJV-only fan. When I quote from the Bible, I only quote from the KJV.
I think though that the OP is asking about people who believe the KJV is the only acceptable version for churches to use. There are or were a lot of such people. I don't remember when, but at some point I became aware of some people claiming it was divinely protected from error.