• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tithes and taxes

chris9178

Do you think its ok to give your tithes and then go and use them at the end of the year as a deductible?

I had this problem yesterday. To make long story short, I could have had $1300 more dollars on my tax return had I used my tithes. It just seems wrong to give to God, but expect to get it a lot of it back at the end of the year. The H&R Block guy thought I was nuts though....
What are your thoughts?

No*s

Captain Obvious
chris9178 said:
Do you think its ok to give your tithes and then go and use them at the end of the year as a deductible?

I had this problem yesterday. To make long story short, I could have had $1300 more dollars on my tax return had I used my tithes. It just seems wrong to give to God, but expect to get it a lot of it back at the end of the year. The H&R Block guy thought I was nuts though....
What are your thoughts?

That...is what I would term an "Ask the priest question." It sounds awfully pastoral, and as such, I'm not sure the application will be the same for each person. One may need it, while the next may be lifted up in pride. Since the priest is to guide them, he would be in an ideal position to make the call.

huajiro

Why not declare your tythes, get your money back, and give that money to the Church as well?

Even better, why not just give the money directly to someone who needs it, avoid all of the middlemen, and not worry about taxes?

Scott1

I would just be happy that you are blessed enough to provide money for your church.... many people are not so fortunate in this world.

Melody

chris9178 said:

What are your thoughts?
You can use your tithes as a charitable deduction?? I thought if you gave money to a church, it was non-deductible?

I used to believe that if I gave to a charity, I shouldn't claim it as a tax deduction because then it was the government giving to charity not me. My views have changed. I take every single charitable deduction I can because I figure it's the only way I can have any say in how the government spends my money.

Hope that made sense.