• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tig! Why I love Buddhism...

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Here's to admitting that I'm extremely biased about Buddhism because one of my all-time-favorite goddesses, Kwan Yin (aka any number of other spellings), is a 'member' or it.

I'm not sure if I know another path in which all of its participants seem to 'practice what they preach' as in the followers of Buddhism. Of all the people I've talked with, Buddhists tend to be the most serene, the most grounded.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Ah, I'm afraid it doesn't stand for anything. It's the name of a game that we discussed here, where RFers go into the Individual Religions forums of other faiths or non-faiths and say something kind.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Good point Feathers; Buddhism is a wonderful philosophy. Incidentally, it has a very worthwhile aside - in that the disciplines are remarkably useful for the purposes of relaxation, for 'getting over' past events, for facing any uncertain future, and for pain control.

That is just a useful 'branch' that anyone can take on board, as a useful adjunct towards a happier life.:)

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
FeathersinHair said:
Here's to admitting that I'm extremely biased about Buddhism because one of my all-time-favorite goddesses, Kwan Yin (aka any number of other spellings), is a 'member' or it.

I'm not sure if I know another path in which all of its participants seem to 'practice what they preach' as in the followers of Buddhism. Of all the people I've talked with, Buddhists tend to be the most serene, the most grounded.
Thank you very much, Feathers.

I think it comes from the fact the Buddhism is a practice, and something that most of us work at on a very regular basis, rather than just professing belief in.

BTW, and very respectfully, to portray Kwan Yin as a "goddess" is not very accurate. Bodhisattva Hearer of the World's Cries (one of the english translations of the name) is one who has attained all of the requisites of enlightenment, but chooses to focus instead upon the Bodhisattva path of aiding and asisting others. This Bodhisattva can take as many as 38 different forms (many of them female) in order to make those he aids more comfortable and able to accept aid. This Bodhisattva is the subject of Chapter 25 of the Lotus Sutra; we often chant this chapter (in shindoku, classical chinese prounounced in a japanese fashion) as part of certain of our different services.