• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Three Commandments of Set

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
As compared to or opposed to the Christian "thou shalts and thou shalt nots", what are your thoughts on the "Three Commandments of Set" as I call them: "I. Arise in your glory, II. behold the genius of your creation, III. and be prideful of being, for I am the same - I who am the Highest of Life." - The Word of Set

Xeper and Remanifest.
/Adramelek\

allfoak

Alchemist
this is interesting.
I don't know much about Set.
Like the picture.

From what i do know i would say it is much like the Jacob an Esau story.
Jacob was a usurper and stole his first-born brothers blessing with the help of their mother.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
this is interesting.
I don't know much about Set.
Like the picture.

From what i do know i would say it is much like the Jacob an Esau story.
Jacob was a usurper and stole his first-born brothers blessing with the help of their mother.

A pretty good study of the historical Egyptian god Set can be found in E.A. Wallis Budge's book "The Gods Of The Egyptians" Volume 2 and Lewis Spence's book "Ancient Egyptian Myths and Legends".

Set, in the earlier more noble depictions, was the god of the Sky by Night and the Slayer of the serpent fiend Apep. In this aspect, Set was originally the defender of Khepera - the god of the Rising Sun.

Gnothi seauton!

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

Last edited:

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Oh, and also check out the book "Seth - God of Confusion" which can also be found on Amazon.com.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Those are three I can live with. I'm also gonna have to check that book out. And read over the thread again when I have some time.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
In this invocation one can get an idea of some of my personal subjective/symbolic understandings of Set as one who honors and is in league with Him:

Hymn to Sutekh

Hail thou Majesty of Set! Prince of the Powers of Darkness, Ruler of the Sceptre-Power on High! God of Gods, Lord of the Infinite, Master of all Creation, the great god Sutekh! O disturber in darkness, bringer of lightning and thunder, storms and winds, thou who Comes Forth by Night and who breaths forth fire and ice, who doth maketh the seas and oceans boil and who maketh the depths quake. Hail O Dark Lord, Eye of Set, who brought forth to the Earth the Black Flame of the Abyss!
I am he who searched the whole world with thee and found the death-god Osiris, whom I brought before thee in chains.
I am he who joined thee in war against the gods.
I am he who closed the gates of Heaven and put to sleep the fiend who must not be seen, who stopped the seas, the streams, the river currents until thou didst come to rule this realm.
And as thy soldier I have been conquered by the gods, I have been thrown face down because of empty wrath. But in my wrath I have risen up and have conquered the gods within, and I have awakened unto the glory of the everlasting Truth of Being.
I call upon thee O thou Deathless One, Primal Father, Akh of the Seven Stars, hear me and be friendly into me for I am a Child of the Black Flame. Descend from thy celestial temple and enshroud me with thy Power and Strength that we may work our wills together upon this Earth.
Unto thee I pray, O Lord of Darkness, whose name is the holy Name of Power; bestow unto me thy Undefiled Wisdom and enshrine within me the Essence of the Highest of Life.

IO IAO BOLCHOSETH!
Xeper.
/Adramelek\

Last edited:

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
That's a rather clever mockery, MacKinnon, of an invocation that I find inspiring and that works for me. You know very well that Setians have their own individualistic approaches to magic. And use words in certain ways in invocations that may not adhere to traditional meaning and in subjective ways. This invocation was inspired by one I found in Don Webb's "Seven Faces of Darkness" and Flower's book on Hermetic Magic. Perhaps you should ask them why thy used such words as "soldier" and "prayer". I am inspired by Webb and other Setians for various reasons, too many to go into at this time. It seems for some reason, the purpose of your post is to ridicule my Path of the Left Hand, personal belief system, and philosophy of the Setian Flame, and certain ways I might approach my own magic. Don't ever do it again. You come across as rather narrow minded in your post, not a Setain virtue. I have been Setian far longer than you, both within and outside the ToS. Outside, for personal reasons that are known to me and to Set, which should be respected. And I can state for a fact that your mocking attitude is not a Temple of Set trait.

Perhaps, MacKinnon, you might be a better fit in the Church of Satan. However, if your attitude has become a common thread in the ToS now days, then it is a sad day indeed.

Forever in the Dark Fire of Set!

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

Last edited:

MacKinnon

Sure, I did make fun of that invocation by adding some Superman references. Even if I had not, my questions would still be the same. I'm not particularly interested in how anybody else has used the terms 'soldier' and 'pray' anywhere else. I'm addressing you, about what you have wrote. What do you mean by them, and by what you have said?

But let's for arguments sake suppose that what anybody else has said about 'praying' is relevant to your post, how do you feel about this statement?

"So from our point of view it really makes no difference whether you pray to a father god or to a mother goddess — or to an entire gaggle of gods and goddesses! You’re still wishing for their acceptance. You’re waiting for them to put their arms around you and say, ’You belong. You are a part of us. You can relax. We will take care of you. We approve of you. We endorse you…’ The Satanist or black magician does not seek that kind of submergence of the self. We do not seek to have our decisions and our morality approved or validated by any higher god or being. We take responsibility unto ourselves.”" -Michael Aquino

As an aside, you can be a Setian inside or outside the Temple, for 1 year or 10+ years. That doesn't mean your ideas are any more ore less impervious to scrutiny. It also is no indicator of an ability to deal with that scrutiny.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Ok, now that's more like it, thank you. I might get back to you, I'll think about it. I am wondering though, Mackinnon, why do you feel it necessary to "scrutinize" me?

Last edited:

MacKinnon

You aren't under scrutiny. What you posted, however is.

Seriously, you identify as Setian and ask why another would question your posts and challenge your ideas? Have you become so comfy outside the Temple that you have forgotten that ideas are discussed and perspectives challenged as a matter of course? Is it now your preference to accept only positive feedback?

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
You aren't under scrutiny. What you posted, however is.

Seriously, you identify as Setian and ask why another would question your posts and challenge your ideas? Have you become so comfy outside the Temple that you have forgotten that ideas are discussed and perspectives challenged as a matter of course? Is it now your preference to accept only positive feedback?
You do make some good points here. I don't mind being challenged on my ideas, however, you could have gone about it in a better way than your original post. Could have done without the silly mocking, trust me, a lot of Setians would have shut you off right there.

Last edited:

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Well here is in reply to the first two. It's symbolic language, "soldier" is in respect to my warrior spirit mentality and my interest in the Martial arts. I was conquered by certain "gods" or "daemons" or powerful strife, drugs, addiction, depression, ("agents of Apep") but I did rise up to conquer them through years of work.

Xeper.

Last edited:

Kemble

Good for you, Adramelek! :)

Well here is in reply to the first two. It's symbolic language, "soldier" is in respect to my warrior spirit mentality and my interest in the Martial arts. I was conquered by certain "gods" or "daemons" or powerful strife, drugs, addiction, depression, ("agents of Apep") but I did rise up to conquer them through years of work.

Xeper.

MacKinnon

It's a good thing you got over those problems, for sure. My problem with labeling such as 'gods' or 'daemons' is it distracts us from acknowledging that they are consequences of actions we have taken. I have as much disdain for the guy in jail saying that the devil made him do it, as I do for somebody who actually does a good deed because it's God's will. The buck always stops with us.

So what about the rest of those questions?