• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Three Books of Occult Philosophy

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Has anyone read Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa?

Thoughts?

IMG20231015145337~2.jpg

I'm thinking about picking this up, but it's an investment.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa von Nettesheim (/əˈɡrɪpə/; German: [aˈgʀɪpa]; 14 September 1486 – 18 February 1535) was a German Renaissance polymath, physician, legal scholar, soldier, knight, theologian, and occult writer.

Agrippa's Three Books of Occult Philosophy published in 1533 drew heavily upon Kabbalah, Hermeticism, and neo-Platonism. His book was widely influential among esotericists of the early modern period, and was condemned as heretical by the inquisitor of Cologne.[1]

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes.

It is probably the most horrendous slog I have ever subjected myself to.

Would not recommend.

That's not to say it isn't worth a read, but... the writing style is... by today's standard it is... okay. Imagine a sentence, except it's the length of several paragraphs. So when I say it is a horrendous slog, I really, really do mean it. And I was using a translation that had extensive commentaries to help make it less opaque.