• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is the coolest geologic find that I have seen in years:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
https://news.berkeley.edu/2019/03/2...thbed-linked-to-dinosaur-killing-meteor/?T=AU

inundation750.jpg

Except for the beads of tektites this would be what one would expect all "Flood" deposits to look like. One thin layer of all life in the region violently deposited. Instead it is the very rare deposit of a violent event.

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I saw this a couple days ago and I completely agree. This seems to be a record of *the* event. And we can determine the time scale on which it happened! Love it, love it, love it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That is a fascinating find. And I can't help but feel there has to a dark joke to accompany it given they found it in America/South Dakota.

Daemon Sophic

I saw this a couple days ago and I completely agree. This seems to be a record of *the* event. And we can determine the time scale on which it happened! Love it, love it, love it.
Likewise.
The rain of glass beads was the coolest/scariest thing. It makes you consider the size and velocity of the impact, with continent-wide superheated sand cast into the stratosphere before raining down hundreds or thousands of miles away. Make nuclear weapons look like a jab from the foreleg of an ant.
tumblr_mt8gd7NGp91qm9htso1_500.gif

Nerdgasm!​

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I am waiting till the papers come out.
That can be a wise tack to take. That way you are not embarrassed by such things as Cold Fusion. Though this does not appear to be a case of that, it is only a very dramatic confirmation of information that was already known from multiple sources.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Likewise.
The rain of glass beads was the coolest/scariest thing. It makes you consider the size and velocity of the impact, with continent-wide superheated sand cast into the stratosphere before raining down hundreds or thousands of miles away. Make nuclear weapons look like a jab from the foreleg of an ant.
tumblr_mt8gd7NGp91qm9htso1_500.gif

Nerdgasm!​
Well, asteroids would hit at orbital velocities: about 30 km/sec. And yes, this one *far* surpasses all the nukes humans have made.

One estimate I have seen for the impact energy is between 6*10^23 and 3*10^24 Joules.

The energy budget of human civilization is about 5*10^20 J/year. A one megaton nuke has an energy of about 4*10^15 J.

That means the impact had an energy that could power the whole Earth for 300 years and is equivalent to 150 *million* megatons of nukes.

/E: Remember, this was a *large* extinction event.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That can be a wise tack to take. That way you are not embarrassed by such things as Cold Fusion. Though this does not appear to be a case of that, it is only a very dramatic confirmation of information that was already known from multiple sources.
The issue is whether the dating is correct etc.
Also, I am not a fan of publicity before the papers are actually published.
Anyways here is the full coverage,
New fossils may capture the minutes after the dinosaur-killing asteroid impact

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
this be what "Flood" deposits to look like. One thin layer of all life in the region violently deposited. (How creationists see OP)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Also, I am not a fan of publicity before the papers are actually published.
Anyways here is the full coverage,
New fossils may capture the minutes after the dinosaur-killing asteroid impact
One thing that does appear to exist without much doubt are the tektites. And those are exceedingly rare. It could be shown to be a different event by dating, but I find that rather unlikely.

And I know that there still advocates of the Deccan Traps role in this extinction event. Studies in that are still are continuing:

Massive Volcanic Eruptions 66 Million Years Ago Happened Almost Exactly When the Dinosaurs Died Off - Universe Today

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
One thing that does appear to exist without much doubt are the tektites. And those are exceedingly rare. It could be shown to be a different event by dating, but I find that rather unlikely.

And I know that there still advocates of the Deccan Traps role in this extinction event. Studies in that are still are continuing:

Massive Volcanic Eruptions 66 Million Years Ago Happened Almost Exactly When the Dinosaurs Died Off - Universe Today

My understanding is that current thought is that it was more of a one-two punch. Dino species are declining before the impact, in part because of the massive eruptions in the Deccan Traps. And then the asteroid hit, making a bad situation much worse.

One of the interesting points in the Dakota site is that it shows dinos were still around when this thing hit.

Also, there is a question of how much the asteroid hit affected the volcanic activity on the other side of the world. It was that big of a hit, after all.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

From the article:

"Unaltered impact-melt glass exhibits a clear geochemical and geochronological link with the Chicxulub impact. A well-defined cap of iridium-bearing, fine-grained impactite tonstein directly overlying the deposit provides a well-constrained chronology—that is, after impact but before the finest ejecta settled—that can provide a detailed record of conditions shortly after the impact. The time frame indicated by the embedded ejecta and capping tonstein at Tanis overlaps with arrival times calculated for seismic waves generated by the Chicxulub impact, a peculiar coincidence that suggests the impact played a causative role in triggering the Tanis depositional event."

That seems like a pretty clear indication of the date. That Iridium layer is pretty definitive, from what I understand.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
My understanding is that current thought is that it was more of a one-two punch. Dino species are declining before the impact, in part because of the massive eruptions in the Deccan Traps. And then the asteroid hit, making a bad situation much worse.

One of the interesting points in the Dakota site is that it shows dinos were still around when this thing hit.

Also, there is a question of how much the asteroid hit affected the volcanic activity on the other side of the world. It was that big of a hit, after all.
I agree. Now the Deccan Traps might have done the job themselves, but the sudden disappearance of all dinosaurs after the impact means that we will never know.