• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This compassion & forgiveness thing is going a little too far (this is a little long, you know me)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I've probably told the stories of my sister-in-law, partner's sister, with whom we've had nothing but trouble over the past 17+ years we are together. She was trouble from the day she slid out. But I must say, in all honesty, there were times we had fun.

Over the years I've helped raise her three kids, bought them clothes, given them a car to use, put them under my insurance, bought their high school and college books, fed them. I ask nothing in return because the kids think I walk on water. This is in addition to supporting her mother, who would have lost her house, if not for me. She did nothing to ever help, rather she would always take, take, take.

During all this time, at every opportunity despite my actions, like a rattlesnake you try to help, she would strike and cause untold aggravation and trouble. This went on time and again. The last straw was two years ago involving her removing my m-i-l from her own house and our care, having called Social Services reporting "elder abuse". This was a totally unfounded accusation in an attempt to take her mother's monthly Social Security check. Tell me how a woman with medical problems we cared for, for at least 8 years, lived in her own house, and after 5 months living with her daughter, is dead. Anyway, this caused a rift that made the splitting of Pangaea look like a cracked egg. We had not spoken in almost two years.

Through all this time, I even prayed for her, I felt sorry for how she is and the life she leads. I did not hate her, but I wished and prayed she could and would change. Well, I can't say she has changed, because I don't know for sure, and they say you can change a leopard's ways but not its spots. So, I am wary.

My partner was the first to mend fences with her a few weeks ago; he was especially hurt because she kept him and their mother from talking, and he never got a chance to see his mother a last time. I could forgive her, I would not forget, but I didn't want to have anything to do with her. I don't think that and forgiveness are mutually exclusive. At her daughter's law school graduation, yes, I ignored her, even though she said hello to me. Maybe I should have taken that opportunity to go the extra step. I didn't, so it was what it was.

However, on Sunday at the bbq-graduation party, she again came up to me, said hello. I said "oh hai!" and we offered cheeks to kiss. I complimented her on how much weight she lost, and how she looks good. She had bariatric surgery, having been morbidly obese. We chit-chatted, joked and even messaged pictures back and forth on our phones that we were taking.

Do I feel better for this fence-mending? I can't say yes or no. Do I realize now that I held a lot of anger and hurt, and am I glad that is gone? Yes. Will I ever trust her? She has a long road to travel before gaining my trust again. Does she still have my compassion? Yes. What have I learned?

From Eight Verses of Mind Training By Geshe Langri Thangpa

Whenever I see ill-natured beings, or those overwhelmed by heavy misdeeds or suffering, I will cherish them as something rare, as though I’d found a priceless treasure.

Whenever someone out of envy does me wrong by attacking or belittling me, I will take defeat upon myself, and give the victory to others.

Even when someone I have helped, or in whom I have placed great hopes mistreats me very unjustly, I will view that person as a true spiritual teacher.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
I think it's absolutely possible to forgive someone, attain a sense of peace but be perfectly justified in not keeping them in your life anymore. There doesn't have to be animosity involved but you also arn't obligated to make a special effort.

I have an Ex friend that I parted ways with a long time ago and at the time I was fiercely angry with her, and held onto a lot of resentment. Over time, I matured, and let it go. She has attempted to reach out to me a few times since, but I had moved on with my life. I didn't need to invite her back in as a friend because I didn't really feel her absence. I rarely think of her at all these days. I hold no anger towards her, but I also don't feel a special need to try and "get back" the friendship we had. We're different people and I don't need her in my life.

Now, this person sounds like she has done significant damage and over a much longer period of time - every situation is different. But I think you can make your peace with her without being BFFs. you know what she's capable of, and you know better then to trust her on certain issues. She may feel it's unfair that you don't trust her, but that's a tough s*** situation. If she wants your trust badly enough, she'll work for it. If she doesn't want it, she'll have no power to hurt you because you haven't given her any.

Best of luck on this.

Shanti :camp:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks. It's good to get an outside perspective. That's one of the reasons I posted the essay. As I said, I'm wary. I feel the same way you do about your ex-friend... nothing would be missing from my life. For my part I'm content to keep it civil, cordial, and at arm's length.

Kalidas

It is the spiteful fool who neither forgives or forgets
It is the foolish man who forgives and forgets
It is the wise sage who forgives but never forgets

Forgiveness is great but never forget. You have as much a responsibility to protect yourself as others have in not being evil and spiteful. To allow yourself to be in a situation where pain will befall you again is not just a bad idea, I feel it is a "sin" (I know we don't believe in sin but I couldnt think of another word to use)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
In retrospect, I've been #1.
I hope not to be #2.
I hope to be #3.

:)

Kalidas

I am a #2 for sure. You could punch me today and I,ll give you a hug tomorrow. I need to learn to stick up for myself more. I have the opposite problem of you jainaryan.

nith33

Hi,

How should I react to a person who is viciously badmouthing me because I turned down his proposal?? I ve been tolerating it for sometime now. But each time I keep quiet, the guys' verbal battering is on the rise.

I dont want to shout at anyone but this thing has been going around for too long a time.

Problem is he isnt speaking to me directly. He speaks in my absence.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Pray for him. His actions say more about him than they do about you. He wants you to respond to him... don't. People will see through him and see him for what he is. Just my opinion.