• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thinking Inside the Box

dan

Thinking inside the box is a term meaning someone interprets information inside pre-determined criteria. It's incredibly prevalent, especially inside religious circles, making most debates on religious matter pointless. A small test to show you what it means:

What professional baseball player holds the record for most stolen bases in a single season?

Offer your answers.

drekmed

Hugh Nicol in 1887, with 138 stolen bases.
second place is Rickey Henderson in 1982 with 130

guinness book of world records has Henderson as the record holder, but other sites have Nicol. not sure how many games were played in either season.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I've saw this before. I've forgotten the answer, but I was assured by a friend of mine (who can tolerate baseball for more than 4 seconds) that the achievment was quite impressive. It was a woman, right?

dan

truthseekingsoul said:
I've saw this before. I've forgotten the answer, but I was assured by a friend of mine (who can tolerate baseball for more than 4 seconds) that the achievment was quite impressive. It was a woman, right?
Correct. Sophie Kurys stole 166 bases in 1943 for the Racine Belles. Thinking inside the box here is shown by the fact that everyone assumes it's a man. An objective observer would have a much broader perspective. Most of the people on this site are not objective (including myself).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Thinking inside the box here is shown by the fact that everyone assumes it's a man.
I never assumed it to be male or female. I thought it might have been a yes/no riddle type of thing, which could make the answer either male or female.

Unedited

Actually, the record is held by Yyyynar Vlishpic of planet Yhacknar at 1,334 bases. Of course, the high number is easier to achieve in since the season of the XXA is considerably longer. Not to mention the other varying differences, the lower gravity, the five bases instead of four, the fact that Uipians can run over 123 MPH, along with hundreds more.

How's that for 'out of the box'? :)

cardero

Citizen Mod
A father and son are driving and get into a terrible accident with critical injuries. An ambulance arrives and brings the two victims to the hospital. The son is rushed into the emergency room and the doctor steps up to operate and exclaims "I cannot perform this operation, he is my son"
How can this be?

Aqualung

Tasty
carrdero said:
A father and son are driving and get into a terrible accident with critical injuries. An ambulance arrives and brings the two victims to the hospital. The son is rushed into the emergency room and the doctor steps up to operate and exclaims "I cannot perform this operation, he is my son"
How can this be?
it's his mom

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
carrdero said:
How can this be?
Because he is badly injured himself, and hasn't got the strength.:biglaugh:

People like Aqualung ought to be banned for being too smart.:eek:

Aqualung

Tasty
michel said:
Because he is badly injured himself, and hasn't giot the strength.:biglaugh:

People like Aqualung ought to be banned for being too smart.:eek:
then I'd be banned from everywhere, because I'm too smart for everybody. :biglaugh:

dan

FeathersinHair said:
Hmm... I wonder if I'd known that if I were a baseball fan. *ponders this*
Well a baseball fan would be further inside the box than one who wasn't. So your distance from the sport would have aided you in researching and finding an answer.

dan

Unedited said:
Actually, the record is held by Yyyynar Vlishpic of planet Yhacknar at 1,334 bases. Of course, the high number is easier to achieve in since the season of the XXA is considerably longer. Not to mention the other varying differences, the lower gravity, the five bases instead of four, the fact that Uipians can run over 123 MPH, along with hundreds more.

How's that for 'out of the box'? :)
No, you're just deep inside your own messed up box.

dan

Aqualung said:
The way I look at, modesty is the same as lying. Why lie and say that I'm not the smartest one here? ;) :D
Modesty is not saying anything. If I were intelligent I would let everyone assume I'm stupid rather than open my mouth and remove all doubt.

Aqualung

Tasty
dan said:
Modesty is not saying anything. If I were intelligent I would let everyone assume I'm stupid rather than open my mouth and remove all doubt.
Ooh. harsh. Have I appearantly removed all doubt?