• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things as Information

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
If all the information about a thing could be captured; including both the experiential and composition, then could that thing be recreated. basically reverse engineered, or reverse engineering of a personality?

palingenesis?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
If all the information about a thing could be captured; including both the experiential and composition, then could that thing be recreated. basically reverse engineered, or reverse engineering of a personality?

palingenesis?
sneaking a thread about resurrection are you?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
ok...so having a taste for science fiction....

I have seen scenario after another about bringing life to a form long dead
(Jurassic Park)

and many more about spirit shifting between one incarnation to another

but when it comes to digging up this corpse and restoring my flesh.....
not so sure that would be ideal

and Who would bother?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

palingenesis?

Depends on the information, depends on the thing, depends on the technology

Thief

Rogue Theologian
oh....what about a lean to that longstanding argument between Suskind and Hawking

HonestJoe

I suspect it’d be theoretically possible but beyond the very simplest of things (from the single particle scale), the raw amount of data which would need to be stored and processed would likely be insurmountable.

There have been experiments involving “teleporting” fundamental particles, which would effectively be a similar kind of thing, but I don’t think there is any prospect of them progressing anywhere beyond that scale in the foreseeable future.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I suspect it’d be theoretically possible but beyond the very simplest of things (from the single particle scale), the raw amount of data which would need to be stored and processed would likely be insurmountable.

There have been experiments involving “teleporting” fundamental particles, which would effectively be a similar kind of thing, but I don’t think there is any prospect of them progressing anywhere beyond that scale in the foreseeable future.
ah but the seed of faith carries a lot of prospects, doesn't it?

the genotype carries all the structural information but then the environment transforms the phenotype with every change in environment.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
one sci-fi included a device to form a body identical to yours at a distant point

If your clone was harmed or killed....
"you" would default to the point of origin and survive

during the event...you would be in two places at once
but functional only in one place at a time

HonestJoe

ah but the seed of faith carries a lot of prospects, doesn't it?
No. :)

the genotype carries all the structural information but then the environment transforms the phenotype with every change in environment.
There is a major difference between growing a descendant or new version of something and creating an exact copy of the same thing.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
No. :)

There is a major difference between growing a descendant or new version of something and creating an exact copy of the same thing.

you'll never have an exact copy, clone. the thing is in another space/time differential. the form is going to be altered due to current environmental issues. the conditional information has already been altered. one wonders what effect it would have on the experiential information

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Try reverse engineering (your wording) without it
the modifier "reverse" would be dropped; so using our lingo its basically technology, or engineering.

so nature, which we are a part of, is both engineering and reverse-engineering via humans?

ChristineM

Premium Member
the modifier "reverse" would be dropped; so using our lingo its basically technology, or engineering.

so nature, which we are a part of, is both engineering and reverse-engineering via humans?

I used your wording while replying to he OP. If you want to move the goalposts feel free but dont try to make me respond to irrelevant questions modelled to suite your agenda

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I used your wording while replying to he OP. If you want to move the goalposts feel free but dont try to make me respond to irrelevant questions modelled to suite your agenda

i have no such power to control; except by the commission of the blind

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
:facepalm:

You are not controlling, i though i made that clear
i agreed with you on the control, not the goal post. the goal post didn't get moved. your problem was solely with the language, not the process being discussed.

languages only become personal; when a person chooses to be exclusive to what logos should/shouldn't be used.

ChristineM

Premium Member
i agreed with you on the control, not the goal post. the goal post didn't get moved. your problem was solely with the language, not the process being discussed.

languages only become personal; when a person chooses to be exclusive to what logos should/shouldn't be used.

Language is the device through which we communicate. People may choose to modify language to suite their agenda, all that means is you are moving goalposts.

I will quote

Do you not see a problem in writing something then saying a key word should be dropped after the fact?