• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is NO Historical Evidence for Jesus

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
Then you can go to this video:

Yes! That's the one I watched.

and at :45 you can see you are completely wrong.

:45 how to spot trends in religions, at that time China, India, Iran did not have these religious concepts, the Mediterranean region did have saviors and similar mythology.

Hee. That's not showing I'm wrong. That's the point where I thought to myself, ummmm I feel like I've heard myths in chinese folklore that have common elements.

Again, just because someone says it, doesn't mean it's true. i posted a link of a chinese myth with common elements. I think I posted another one with a trinity, maybe in this thread, maybe another one. Anyway.

The dying/rising demigods is a specific group and trend in the quest for eternal life. Asia and early Greek as well as Sumeria did not have an afterlife. Gods did favors (rain) but you didn't go to Heaven. In India you reincarnated.

Not in ancient Asia. Or anywhere else. Only the West, from Mesopotamia to North Africa and Europe. There was a very common and popular mytheme that had arisen in the Hellenistic period—from at least the death of Alexander the Great in the 300s B.C. through the Roman period, until at least Constantine in the 300s A.D. Nearly every culture created and popularized one: the Egyptians had one, the Thracians had one, the Syrians had one, the Persians had one, and so on. The Jews were actually late to the party in building one of their own, in the form of Jesus Christ. It just didn’t become popular among the Jews, and thus ended up a Gentile religion. But if any erudite religious scholar in 1 B.C. had been asked “If the Jews invented one of these gods, what would it look like?” they would have described the entire Christian religion to a T. Before it even existed. That can’t be a coincidence.

The general features most often shared by all these cults are (when we eliminate all their differences and what remains is only what they share in common):

• They are personal salvation cults (often evolved from prior agricultural cults).
  • They guarantee the individual a good place in the afterlife (a concern not present in most prior forms of religion).
  • They are cults you join membership with (as opposed to just being open communal religions).
  • They enact a fictive kin group (members are now all brothers and sisters).
  • They are joined through baptism (the use of water-contact rituals to effect an initiation).
  • They are maintained through communion (regular sacred meals enacting the presence of the god).
  • They involved secret teachings reserved only to members (and some only to members of certain rank).
  • They used a common vocabulary to identify all these concepts and their role.
  • They are syncretistic (they modify this common package of ideas with concepts distinctive of the adopting culture).
  • They are mono- or henotheistic (they preach a supreme god by whom and to whom all other divinities are created and subordinate).
  • They are individualistic (they relate primarily to salvation of the individual, not the community).
  • And they are cosmopolitan (they intentionally cross social borders of race, culture, nation, wealth, or even gender).
You might start to notice we’ve almost completely described Christianity already. It gets better. These cults all had a common central savior deity, who shared most or all these features (when, once again, we eliminate all their differences and what remains is only what they share in common):

• They are all “savior gods” (literally so-named and so-called).
  • They are usually the “son” of a supreme God (or occasionally “daughter”).
  • They all undergo a “passion” (a “suffering” or “struggle,” literally the same word in Greek, patheôn).
  • That passion is often, but not always, a death (followed by a resurrection and triumph).
  • By which “passion” (of whatever kind) they obtain victory over death.
  • Which victory they then share with their followers (typically through baptism and communion).
  • They also all have stories about them set in human history on earth.
  • Yet so far as we can tell, none of them ever actually existed.

It's established the Mystery religions are a product of Greek thought.
This shows all the Christian concepts come from Hellenism, a trend sweeping through all religions from 300 BC - 100Ad. This is why the "mystery religions" also had dying/rising sons/daughters of their one true God. Like Judaism they started out using Mesopotamian myths and then adopted Greek and Persian myths as well.

-the seasonal drama was homologized to a soteriology (salvation concept) concerning the destiny, fortune, and salvation of the individual after death.

-his led to a change from concern for a religion of national prosperity to one for individual salvation, from focus on a particular ethnic group to concern for every human. The prophet or saviour replaced the priest and king as the chief religious figure.

-his process was carried further through the identification of the experiences of the soul that was to be saved with the vicissitudes of a divine but fallen soul, which had to be redeemed by cultic activity and divine intervention. This view is illustrated in the concept of the paradoxical figure of the saved saviour, salvator salvandus.

-Other deities, who had previously been associated with national destiny (e.g., Zeus, Yahweh, and Isis), were raised to the status of transcendent, supreme

-The temples and cult institutions of the various Hellenistic religions were repositories of the knowledge and techniques necessary for salvation and were the agents of the public worship of a particular deity. In addition, they served an important sociological role. In the new, cosmopolitan ideology that followed Alexander’s conquests, the old nationalistic and ethnic boundaries had broken down and the problem of religious and social identity had become acute.

-Most of these groups had regular meetings for a communal meal that served the dual role of sacramental participation (referring to the use of material elements believed to convey spiritual benefits among the members and with their deity)

-Hellenistic philosophy (Stoicism, Cynicism, Neo-Aristotelianism, Neo-Pythagoreanism, and Neoplatonism) provided key formulations for Jewish, Christian, and Muslim philosophy, theology, and mysticism through the 18th century

- The basic forms of worship of both the Jewish and Christian communities were heavily influenced in their formative period by Hellenistic practices, and this remains fundamentally unchanged to the present time. Finally, the central religious literature of both traditions—the Jewish Talmud (an authoritative compendium of law, lore, and interpretation), the New Testament, and the later patristic literature of the early Church Fathers—are characteristic Hellenistic documents both in form and content.

-Other traditions even more radically reinterpreted the ancient figures. The cosmic or seasonal drama was interiorized to refer to the divine soul within man that must be liberated.

-Each persisted in its native land with little perceptible change save for its becoming linked to nationalistic or messianic movements (centring on a deliverer figure)

-and apocalyptic traditions (referring to a belief in the dramatic intervention of a god in human and natural events)

- Particularly noticeable was the success of a variety of prophets, magicians, and healers—e.g., John the Baptist, Jesus, Simon Magus, Apollonius of Tyana, Alexander the Paphlagonian, and the cult of the healer Asclepius—whose preaching corresponded to the activities of various Greek and Roman philosophic missionaries

David Litwa's new book is on this as well. So is Lataster's.
Petra Pakkanen, Interpreting Early Hellenistic Religion, also writes about this.

Anyway, yes, it was mystery religion. That doesn't mean that it was copied. these elements of mystery religions existed elsewhere too.

I'm reminded of that one scholar you brought who said, Noah's flood isn't mentioned by any of the later books in Tanach. An claimed this was evidence that is was added after those books were written. And you posted the video with the quote in it, and you beleived it without double checking. And all you have to do is a bible word search for noah, and the hebrew word for flood, and bippity boppity boo, theres the references in the later books.

You see, there's reasons to claim the Jesus is a myth. Just like there's reasons to say the flood is added later. ( maybe not good reasons, but ) That reason, that specific reason about the flood not being in those later books was false. And that means that scholar you chose was not chosen for accuracy. You didn't check to see if it was accurate. You just believed it.

And then we have Carrier, making some claim about McGrath, you posted it. Didn't check to see if the very first claim in the blog was true. You didn't check. You posted it anyway because you believed it was true.

And now we have this other video. It says there weren't any other myths like this anywhere else. First of all, that makes no sense. Chinese folk religions are vast. Hindu folk stories are vast. You're telling me that you've reviewed them all? Besides that I found you an example. So just saying "You're completely wrong cause someone said so in a video." is BS dude. So the what are you saying? The wiki article is fake. That myth I brought doesn't exist.

Your scholars make mistakes like this. The last debate it was nothing but mistake, missing info, mistake, missing info, mistake, missing info.... over and over and over again. Why don't you start checking this stuff for accuracy?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
Luke is also later and he gave one small section on Jesus at 12. It is not exaggerating in any way to say the childhood of Jesus is a mystery.

Luke is no later than Matthew.

Maybe you should talk to internet super-fans then.

I am. You're the one who posted Carrier's responses to McGrath without check the accuracy of the very first one.

Maybe you should read the article you linked to several posts ago where Carrier explains he doesn't use RR data to demonstrate non-historicity It's used it to establish a prior probability. Which is not sufficient to demonstrate non-historicity.

And that's irrelevant. The issue is exaggerating the RR rating. What's needed is to look at the prior probability with an accurate RR tally and see what that is.

When criticisized, the wrong answer is name calling and strawmanning, the right answer is addressing the criticism.

It's from Plutarch and his sources are given and are pre-Christian.

I asked what is the oldest source YOU could provide. I can't trust Carrier to tell me what a myth says in it. I can't trust Carrier for anything accurate, and neither should anyone. Did YOU read the pre-Christian myth yourself? Did you keep track of the differences.

1)Hero is a son of God
2)Death accompanied by prodigies
3)land covered in darkness
4)hero's corpse goes missing
5)Hero receives a new immortal body, superior to the one he had
6)His resurrection body has a bright and shining appearance
7)After his resurrection he meets with his followers on a road from the city
8)A speech is given from a summit or high place prior to ascending
9)An inspired message of resurrection or translation to heaven. is delivered to a witness
10)There is a great commission (instruction to future followers)
11)Hero physically ascends to heaven in his new divine body
12)He is taken up into a cloud
13)There is an explicit role given to eyewitness testimony (even naming the witness)
14)Witnesses are frightened by his appearance or disappearance
15)Some witnesses flee
16)Claims are made of "dubious alternative accounts"
17)All of this occurs outside of a nearby city
18)His followers are initially in sorrow over his death
19)But his post-resurrection story leads to eventual belief, homage and rejoicing
20)The hero is deified and cult subsequently paid to him (in the same manner as a God)

And all of these could be exaggerated if they are coming from Carrier. See, once a person is caught fudging the numbers like that. It's really hard to come back from it.

No, it means it's a common archetype.

right. That means they're not derived or copied based on similairity. And hopefully you understand why. The reason is archetypes are based on real human experiences.

The RR scale, about mythology, often supernatural beings, only means people born into royalty????
Well I don't know where you got that but I guess it's moot because you cannot be born into a bigger royalty than being the son of God.

No..... the RR scale is evaluating on literal, real, actual royalty. Th RR scale is evalutating on literal, real, actual kings. The RR scale is evaluating on literal, real, actual battles and defeating a beast, giant, or dragon.

Subjective, metaphorical, royals, kings, and battles would render the RR scale into meaningless mush. And that's what Carrier has done and you're supporting.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
I do not think you can support that statement.

I already looked this up. And I thought I posted the dates to you before. You claimed Luke was 80ish years after Jesus. Anyway... dates and links are below.

Matthew: "Most modern scholars hold that it was written anonymously in the last quarter of the first century." - link below
Luke: "Most scholars date the composition of the combined work to around 80–90 AD" - link below

That's pretty close. Matthew 75-100AD-ish. Luke 80-90AD-ish. There's no real difference there.

There you go. Supported.

Reactions: ppp

Palehorse

There is NO secular historical evidence for Jesus, son of God or the apostles, period. Despite all the propaganda Christians put forth about there being so much evidence for Jesus in the historical record, it is just disinformation disguised as truth to keep Christianity afloat. The truth is there simply is no secular historical evidence an avatar god man named Jesus as described in the gospels ever lived--nor did the 12 men he supposedly gathered around him and walked with them for 3 years before being crucified. NONE of this is supported by historical fact. No historian mentions all the supernatural events that the gospels claim occurred after Christ's supposed crucifixion, even though the Gospels claim Jesus' fame spread far beyond the borders of Israel. There may be a possibility an ordinary man who was a Jewish zealot was crucified by the Romans for sedition against Rome but again no historian mentions one.

The two passages by Josephus so often cited by Christians as mentioning Jesus are so mired in controversy that they are dismissed by mainstream historians as having little to no value in trying to prove Jesus existed. Here are some pertinent facts that Christians should consider before they try to pass off these passages as proof of Jesus:

* The Testimonium Flavianum is never quoted by anyone until the 4th century (c. 324), when Bishop Eusebius begins quoting it. Scholars believe it was Eusebius who doctored the passage with references to Jesus' supernatural nature.

* It is impossible that this passage is entirely genuine. It is highly unlikely that Josephus, a Jew working in concert with the Romans, would have written, "He was the Messiah." This would make him suspect of treason. Indeed, in Wars of the Jews, Josephus declares that Vespasian fulfilled the messianic oracles. Furthermore, Origen, writing about a century before Eusebius, says twice that Josephus "did not believe in Jesus as the Christ."

* Josephus is on record that the Emperor Vespasian was the messiah and had fulfilled prophecy.

* The second passage of Josephus, "The brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James.” is a scribal interpolation. There are several indications that the sentence fragment “who was called Christ” was not original to the text.

Here is a link to some research that will help to clear up the controversy surrounding the Josephus passages:

Josephus and Jesus: The Testimonium Flavianum Question

The gospels were NOT written by the apostles or anyone connected to Jesus or the fictional apostles. The gospels were written 50-100 years after Jesus purportedly was crucified in 30 AD by anonymous Greek scholars who couldn't have known Jesus and certainly were not familiar with Israel's geographic terrain as evidenced by the numerous errors they made about towns' proximity to each other and to other natural terrain. The Romans were excellent record keepers of their trials but a trial of Jesus ben Joseph or similar name who was crucified under Pilate's order simply doesn't exist. The name Yeshua ben Joseph or Yeshua Moshiach (Jesus Christ) doesn't appear anywhere in the historical record. A few historians like Tacitus made reference to a man referred to as "Chrestus" but we have no idea who that is nor can we know or reasonably ascertain if they were referring to Jesus, the son of God or another Chrestus who had a following. What we Do know is that Christians are constantly trying to pass off this passage and similar ones using the term, "Christ" as proof secular historians mention Jesus. But they don't. There were dozens of "Christs" in Jesus' time. Any of them could lay claim to being the Messiah.

If God had wanted us to believe Jesus is his divine son sent to earth to die for our sins, God would have left a mountain of evidence proving this that would be so compelling that no one in their right mind could argue otherwise.

But God left no such compelling evidence. The proof for this fact is truth No 1 above. That would mean the Christian god, if he even exists, doesn't give a tinker's damn whether or not we believe in Jesus. God, if he exists, shows himself to not interfere or participate in human affairs. Thus, he could not have left any evidence for this Jesus fellow and this is exactly what we see in the secular historic record--NO mention of Jesus or the apostles.

An unassailable truth: prayers do not get answered, in contrast to what Jesus promises in the gospels. Millions upon millions of people pray every day for their sick loved ones to get well and their loved ones do not recover. If a person recovers it is usually on the order of 10% and here is the key thing: it occurs across all demographics with the SAME rate of frequency. Thus, a small percentage of Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, and atheists all recover from serious illness at exactly the same rate. This proves without a doubt that praying to God has nothing to do with it; some humans are going to recover from their illness but ALL terminally ill people are going to die at some point in the near future. No one is cured as a result of prayer. Study after study has borne this fact out.

There is no reason for people to believe in Jesus as the savior son of God when we haven't a single entry in the secular historic record testifying that he is. People who choose to believe in Jesus as their savior are doing so in ignorance of all the above, or they are doing it on pure faith without any evidence for Jesus. It's a crying shame that people can throw their lives away so carelessly for a myth, but it's a free country and people are permitted to squander their lives on anything they want, even the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

View attachment 77669
If only Biden and Trump would release the DNA of prisoners who are directly connected to the blood line of JESUS CHRIST.....their both Jews.....lol....CHRIST never existed...lols...

joelr

You have articulated exactly what materialism is, the "belief" that the material is all that there is and consciousness merely a phenomenon.
Then you should re-read my answer because I did not do that. In philosophy Materialism and idealism have strong arguments against them. In science it is accepted that there is a world outside of our mind.
What materialism (what Berkeley was arguing against in Three Dialogues) was saying is classical reality is not as real as it seems. Science agrees but the quantum field and quantum reality is not an illusion and no interpretation of modern physics suggests only mind exists.

Kant also had arguments against these idealist world views.
Even if it was true it does not mean a God has to be real, then you are right back at materialism.

If you were ever spirit born then you would understand what spirituality is.
You are using the term "spirituality" here in the sense of a "ghost realm" where everything is a spirit. This isn't what any of these philosophies is saying at all. That is a fictional concept.

What is your evidence that we have a 2nd, redundant body or soul/spirit?

The amount of effort that you dedicate to denouncing God is an indication that you aren't very secure in your doctrines of doubt?
I'm talking about philosophy and how it related to our understanding of the universe and consciousness taking science into consideration as well.
None of this is about a God. I need no effort to denounce any God. That is a concept with no evidence and doesn't even make sense. You may say Yahweh and another can say Allah and another can say Inanna. There is no difference, each are equally unlikely.

Materialism and idealism is more about consciousness being fundamental. Similar to Brahman in Hinduism if you had to compare it to a religion.

joelr

You can have the virigin birth, but you can't have the royalty at the same time. You're claiming a literal impregantion, while in the same line-item flipping to metaphorical royalty.

I can't find any thing that claims she isn't? Seriously. That's the weakest claim I've ever heard. I can't find anything that says she's not a green lesbian from Jupiter. I can't find anything that says she's not a 6'8 center for the LA Lakers. I can't find anything that says she isn't a bugblatter beast from traal.

No. I can't find anything that says she isn't God's bottom-***** in a harem.

She's not royalty.

I didn't see anything about a green lesbian. But you don't give birth to God without being royalty.

She's royal.

In the New Testament, the title has several biblical sources. At the Annunciation, the archangel Gabriel announces that [Jesus] "... will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High; and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David. He will rule over the house of Jacob forever and his reign will be without end."(Luke 1:32) The biblical precedent in ancient Israel is that the mother of the king becomes the queen mother.[13] Mary's queenship is a share in Jesus’ kingship.

You're going about this backwards. Was the RR scale designed looking for metaphorical kings, and royals, and law making? Or were they looking for real kings, and real royals, and real law making?

It makes no sense at all for the RR scale to be based on metaphors, because, then the scale is so subjective, it doesn't measure anything. Anyone becomes a myth.

My daughter was born with a chicken-wing. A real chicken-wing? No, its a metaphor, but it was a strange birth. And my wife is the queen of the house, and she was a metaporical virgin until we had the first major diaper-blowout on a moving airplane, and couldn't get up to change her. We were both metphorical vigins. My daughter is positively slaying the beast of her homework. Made laws for me, not go into her room when she's not home. She's got followers and disciples, metaphorically, as a summer camp councilor.

So, you need to start with the RR scale. Apply it as intended. it cannot possibly be intended to be a metaphorical subjective scale. Then, once the score is tallied, THEN conclude it's a myth like the others. You're doing it the worng way. First you're assuming its a myth, then because of that assumption, you're changing the RR scale into a metaphorical subjective RR scale forcing the conclusion you began with. That's the opposite of academics.
The Gospels declare Jesus the heir of a king.

Mark 10:47
And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out, and say, Jesus, thou son of David, have mercy on me.

The Gospels also declare Jesus King of the Jews.

If he actually defeated Satan, then there woul be no more satan. Just like all the other myths with actual battles, and actual defeats.

Defeating Satan in the desert doesn’t count as battling a great adversary? Even though Satan literally means “the adversary” and there was literally none greater. It doesn't mean Satan is erased forever. But his power over souls IS.

And now you are including Paul. So, again, the net gets cast wider and wider and wider until you find what you want. Doing that is like looking for bible codes. Finding a bible code means nothing because the net is being cast wider and wider till something is found.
I did, Carrier didn't mention Paul. I'll give back my history PhD.

The RR scale says NO details from his childhood. Ignoring the details of his childhood without a good reason is cherry picking.
What details? Infancy and teenage years? That isn't childhood?

And that would mean that Jesus is losing points on RR scale as time goes on.

Still 19.
But your "this" doesn't fit the RR scale.

The part where he was spirited away to Egypt fits. Also he did have a foster parent. Pretty sure Joseph wasn't the biological father.

Also a myth. That doesn't man they're myths for the same reasons, nor that the argument for their myth status is as strong or that they;re the same kind of myths. Jesus could be a myth like Johnny Appleseed, who was a real person wandering around, doing stuff, and stories were conjured about him.
He could be. I would recommend OHJ by Richard Carrier and Questioning the Historicity of Jesus: R. Lataster to get a good argument for mythicism.

It's an answer, just not a true or correct answer. For 50% or more of the items on the RR scale, it is exaggerated. It's just you start with the conclusion, the story is a myth, then exaggerate the plot elements to force that conclusion. You admit it, but then flip and deny it.

Basically, by your standards, it's a myth that Jesus is a myth. It's a manufactured argument just like many manufactured arguments where precision is reduced forcing a pre-desired outcome. If the gospel writters had a pre-desired outcome, and they manufactured a story to fit that outcome, and that's a myth. Then the "Jesus is a myth" myth is exactly the same thing.

That isn't happening at all. What seems to be going on is you prematurely decided Carrier gave too high a score on RR and also assumed he based mythicism on this scale. Why you decided to go by an apologist article, despite having a response that corrected the mistakes. I have no idea.

You said you could point out how McGrath was an apologist based on what McGrath wrote. And we had this same problem in another thread. You decided that a perfectly normal journalist wa an apologist for ZERO reasons except they printed something you didn't like.
I didn't like them because they were wrong and as usual the apologist didn't seem to read the book they were taking issues with.
"The scale was not designed to determine historicity."
"The Rank-Raglan scale does not seem, contrary to Carrier’s claim, to consistently fit figures who were definitely not historical better than ones who certainly were."
"And so Carrier’s attempt to use the scale to slant his calculations of probability in the direction of the non-historicity of Jesus are at best unpersuasive, and at worst deliberately misleading."

What specifically he gets wrong is all here, or part of it

I already covered this.

No. It has nothing to do with not reading Carrier's book. In fact, McGrath, from what I can tell doesn't talk about anything except the RR scale itself and how it doesn't advance the argument because it's exaggerated. And when it's exaggerated anyone can be a myth.

If Carrier, or you, can defend the bullet point items and show they are not exaggerated, then that resolves the issue. But you can't, and Carrier can't because Jesus was never a king, Mary as never royalty, Jesus wasn't "spirited away", no beast, giant, or dragon was defeated. None of those things actually happened. They all ARE being exaggerated, and the answer that you're giving me is, "I don't care if it's exaggerated, because it's a myth."

No. The scale should be applied as intended, and then you make a conclusion.
I did.

Last edited:

joelr

But I can't trust any of this coming from carrier any more than you can trust a Christian telling you Jesus is The Truth. Carrier exaggerates, this is probably exaggerated. Besides, I want YOUR opinion, YOUR words. Why should I care about Carrier? He can't be trusted.

That is one huge cop out and back peddle. You now see Carrier was actually NOT basing anything on RR except prior-probability and it's just one small component on a huge list. Some elements were expanded for many pages.

Suddenly it's "oh I can't trust Carrier....." "I need your words"....... Whatever. Can you sell me a bridge as well?

Here is why you should care about Carrier.............I DON'T F#$%ING CARE WHO YOU CARE ABOUT. All of your objections are answered BY CARRIER. At this point it's up to you to actually read the full argument and make your descision. I spend WAY too much time actually typing up that 3 part list to demonstrate where the RR stands and how prior probability is judged. OF course, I get "I'm not reading that, I don't trust...."

Yeah it's probably exaggerated because NOTHING so far has actually been exaggerated.
I didnt read all of these. You're preaching Carrierism at me. You said you would look at McGrath's write-up and show me from McGrath's words that he was an apologist. I already know Carrier's going to name call and exaggerate. Bringing oodles and oodles of Carrier doesn't help at all.

Then don't read it. Think an apologist lousy critique actually makes sense. I don't care? I already told you, he falsely assumed RR was the critera for mythicism and demonstrated many misunderstandings of the argument. As an apologist would do.
You bought into an apologists rant. Oops.

I see from this "Bringing oodles and oodles of Carrier doesn't help at all." you already know what's up. I'm bringing facts and evidence.

Now. Take a look at this very first link. Question: Did you go and read what McGrath *actually* said? we are back to the same debate points from last time we talked. These people cannot be trusted. They misquote. They don't care about accuracy.

Right of the bat, the very first thing in this link you brought from Carrier IS NOT TRUE. Not even close. It's the opposite of the truth. Look:

This is what Carrier claims McGrath is saying. it's right at the top.

McGrath complains that when I define three criteria that are markers of myth writing, I’m making a big mistake because no one of them is sufficient to entail a text is a myth…completely ignoring that I say exactly that, in the text he claims to be reading.​
But, that's NOT what McGrath says. he says NONE of the three, even combined supports the argument. Here's what McGrath actually says.
Since similarity between real events and other real events is not at all unlikely, and on the contrary well-documented, the first alleged characteristic of myth simply doesn’t work. The third point is equally problematic, not only because it is unclear what “external corroboration” entails (external to one literary work and confirmed in another, or external to the entire tradition in question?), but also because a great many figures in the Judaism of this time, such as John the Baptist and Hillel, might be deemed unhistorical by this criterion. The second also fails to do justice to the presence of the allegedly miraculous in a range of sources about verifiably historical people and events.​
See that? McGrath says, Point one doesn't work. Point three doesn't work either. AND Point two doesn't work. All three are a bust. All three. Carrier completely misrepresents what McGrath said. And this tells me, YOU didn't do what you said you were going to do. And either Carrier didn't actually read McGrath's comments, or Carrier didn't understand it, or Carrier just flat out lied about it. Either way, the dude can't be trusted for accuracy, like, AT ALL.

What a waste of time. You are not looking for facts or truth, you are looking to win an argument without care for actually understanding anything and skimming text.

I'll never get this time back but here we go.......

McGrath says this and quotes Carrier in the middle:

"Carrier helpfully recognizes that identifying the genre of the work will not answer questions of historicity, “For in fact, a great deal of ancient biography, even of real people, was constructed of myth and fiction.”[4] His treatment of myth, and how to determine whether a work is largely or entirely myth, is less satisfactory. Carrier writes,[5]

Characteristics of myth are (1) strong and meaningful emulation of prior myths (or even of real events); (2) the presence of historical improbabilities (which are not limited to ‘miracles’ but can include natural events that are very improbable, like amazing coincidences or unrealistic behavior); and (3) the absence of external corroboration of key (rather than peripheral) elements (because a myth can incorporate real people and places, but the central character or event will still be fictional). No one of these criteria is sufficient to identify a narrative as mythical. But the presence of all three is conclusive. And the presence of one or two can also be sufficient, when sufficiently telling.
Since similarity between real events and other real events is not at all unlikely, and on the contrary well-documented, the first alleged characteristic of myth simply doesn’t work. The third point is equally problematic, not only because it is unclear what “external corroboration” entails (external to one literary work and confirmed in another, or external to the entire tradition in question?), but also because a great many figures in the Judaism of this time, such as John the Baptist and Hillel, might be deemed unhistorical by this criterion. The second also fails to do justice to the presence of the allegedly miraculous in a range of sources about verifiably historical people and events."

Carrier then points out Godfrey commented on it:

"Neil Godfrey has already exposed how incompetently McGrath ignores what I actually wrote in the sections McGrath is talking about. My favorite example: McGrath complains that when I define three criteria that are markers of myth writing, I’m making a big mistake because no one of them is sufficient to entail a text is a myth…completely ignoring that I say exactly that, in the text he claims to be reading.

As Godfrey sums it up:
Ignoring Carrier’s point that “no one of these criteria is sufficient to identify a narrative as mythical but the presence of all three is conclusive” McGrath proceeds to “protest” that “no one of these criteria is sufficient to identify a narrative as mythical”.

Carrier finishes with - "I find this to be disrespectful and insulting. McGrath is pretending I didn’t say exactly what he is saying, and pretending that therefore he has a legitimate critique of what I said. McGrath therefore has no actual rebuttal to what I said."

But they may have overlooked something because there is an edit:

[Edit: Possibly McGrath didn’t realize the logic of his argument entailed this. See comment. Some mistook Godfrey’s description as a direct quote, despite the fact that it is literally verbatim, which should have clued them in. Godfrey and I are describing the logic of McGrath’s argument, and pointing out the fact that it ignores the actual argument is disrespectful and insulting. Not a lie. Only in subsequent sections do I catalog McGrath’s lies.]

He covers lies further down:

I skipped all of these. why should I read someone's blog of errors and misrepresetnations. Now he has 3 strikes against him. Actually 4. 1) The RR scale is exaggerated for Jesus. 2) The RR scale is exaggerated for Moses 3) The claim about McGrath is false. 4) The accusation of APPPPOLOGISSSST, is false too.

Why do people like this person? He's preaching a gospel, and demonizing the critics, and ex-Christians love that stuff. It's the that old-time religion.
1) Carrier's use of the RR scale is blundered by you
2)wrong subject
3)Hence the part where it's corrected
4)McGrath is definitely an apologist. You can finish that article or read any of the others.

The only cult here is the anti-Carrier wu that turns out to be all ad-hom and nonsense.

joelr

Luke is no later than Matthew.

No childhood of Jesus.
I am. You're the one who posted Carrier's responses to McGrath without check the accuracy of the very first one.

Speaking of checking for accuracy, I didn't miss the EDIT right in plain view right below the last line in the article. Because I read it.

And that's irrelevant. The issue is exaggerating the RR rating. What's needed is to look at the prior probability with an accurate RR tally and see what that is.
It's accurate.

When criticisized, the wrong answer is name calling and strawmanning, the right answer is addressing the criticism.
Exactly, like calling Carrier a liar and untrustworthy instead of fact checking.

I asked what is the oldest source YOU could provide. I can't trust Carrier to tell me what a myth says in it. I can't trust Carrier for anything accurate, and neither should anyone. Did YOU read the pre-Christian myth yourself? Did you keep track of the differences.
I see what you are doing. You know you've lost to Carriers' research so you now play up this "can't trust him" and want me to now go check Plutarch out of the Yale library.
As if I've never seen these games before. The book is peer-reviewed. Oh wait, maybe it's a conspiracy? What if the Library is in on it too? We can trust NO ONE. I'll send you smoke signals of my research. Look for that.

And all of these could be exaggerated if they are coming from Carrier. See, once a person is caught fudging the numbers like that. It's really hard to come back from it.

right. That means they're not derived or copied based on similairity. And hopefully you understand why. The reason is archetypes are based on real human experiences.

No..... the RR scale is evaluating on literal, real, actual royalty. Th RR scale is evalutating on literal, real, actual kings. The RR scale is evaluating on literal, real, actual battles and defeating a beast, giant, or dragon.

Subjective, metaphorical, royals, kings, and battles would render the RR scale into meaningless mush. And that's what Carrier has done and you're supporting.
Wow, that's funny since the RR hero type is based on a set of traits that are commonly found in hero myth narratives. As Alan Segal describes in In Quest of the Hero (Princeton University Press). It also describes the RR list as the fable of the "divine king".
Which completely would include metaphorical kings and supernatural battles. And Jesus.

We are talking about beings like Theseus, Dionysus, Romulus, Persus, Hercules, Zeus, Osiris, Asclepius, Jason, Bellerophon.......many who were metaphorical kings and battles demons in an underworld (but they came back).

Although harping on the same point for 3 posts is a bit much? It's not even a good point.

joelr

This also shows that Christianity was and is a purely man-made religion. God had nothing whatsoever to do with its establishment. God didn't send a divine son into the world to die for the sins of mankind. The entire Christian theology was borrowed from dozens of other sources and then like a cancer simply grew and metastasized into what we now have. This would explain why prayer never gets answered and why we see no supernatural forces moving in Christianity, or any religion for that manner. They're all human institutions created for a specific purpose--in Christianity's case for ensconcing otherwise worthless bishops and cardinals in positions of power, money and privilege.
That is what it seems to be. Elaine Pagels book The Gnostic Gospels shows letters from Bishop Irenaeus and he sounds totally like he's going for power. Only a certain bloodline can read, teach and interpret scripture, no women, it's so obvious. He hated the Gnostic sects that were much more open to members and who allowed anyone to teach.

Colt

Then you should re-read my answer because I did not do that. In philosophy Materialism and idealism have strong arguments against them. In science it is accepted that there is a world outside of our mind.
What materialism (what Berkeley was arguing against in Three Dialogues) was saying is classical reality is not as real as it seems. Science agrees but the quantum field and quantum reality is not an illusion and no interpretation of modern physics suggests only mind exists.

Kant also had arguments against these idealist world views.
Even if it was true it does not mean a God has to be real, then you are right back at materialism.

You are using the term "spirituality" here in the sense of a "ghost realm" where everything is a spirit. This isn't what any of these philosophies is saying at all. That is a fictional concept.

What is your evidence that we have a 2nd, redundant body or soul/spirit?

I'm talking about philosophy and how it related to our understanding of the universe and consciousness taking science into consideration as well.
None of this is about a God. I need no effort to denounce any God. That is a concept with no evidence and doesn't even make sense. You may say Yahweh and another can say Allah and another can say Inanna. There is no difference, each are equally unlikely.

Materialism and idealism is more about consciousness being fundamental. Similar to Brahman in Hinduism if you had to compare it to a religion.
The soul isnt a "body" in my belief or philosophy which comes from the Urantia Book revelation.

"The Universal Father is the secret of the reality of personality, the bestowal of personality, and the destiny of personality. The Eternal Son is the absolute personality, the secret of spiritual energy, morontia spirits, and perfected spirits. The Conjoint Actor is the spirit-mind personality, the source of intelligence, reason, and the universal mind. But the Isle of Paradise is nonpersonal and extraspiritual, being the essence of the universal body, the source and center of physical matter, and the absolute master pattern of universal material reality.

These qualities of universal reality are manifest in Urantian human experience on the following levels:

1. Body. The material or physical organism of man. The living electrochemical mechanism of animal nature and origin.

2. Mind. The thinking, perceiving, and feeling mechanism of the human organism. The total conscious and unconscious experience. The intelligence associated with the emotional life reaching upward through worship and wisdom to the spirit level.

3. Spirit. The divine spirit that indwells the mind of man—the Thought Adjuster. This immortal spirit is prepersonal— not a personality, though destined to become a part of the personality of the surviving mortal creature.

4. Soul. The soul of man is an experiential acquirement. As a mortal creature chooses to "do the will of the Father in heaven," so the indwelling spirit becomes the father of a new reality in human experience. The mortal and material mind is the mother of this same emerging reality. The substance of this new reality is neither material nor spiritual—it is morontial. This is the emerging and immortal soul which is destined to survive mortal death and begin the Paradise ascension.

Personality. The personality of mortal man is neither body, mind, nor spirit; neither is it the soul. Personality is the one changeless reality in an otherwise ever-changing creature experience; and it unifies all other associated factors of individuality. The personality is the unique bestowal which the Universal Father makes upon the living and associated energies of matter, mind, and spirit, and which survives with the survival of the morontial soul.

0:5.12 Morontia is a term designating a vast level intervening between the material and the spiritual. It may designate personal or impersonal realities, living or nonliving energies. The warp of morontia is spiritual; its woof is physical." UB 1955

joelr

You keem bouncing from one myth to an other………. Pick your favorite, and build your case, the gospels have specific details about both relevant and secondary local leaders (and secondary people) and specific details about large and small places, even specific towns, ports, valleys etc.

Why would I have a favorite myth in terms of historical data?
Do you have abythong analogous with the Ramayana, or the Mahabharata, or homer, or any other of the myths that you keep mentioning?

These places where mentioned in the odisey By Homer

Troy . ...

IsmarusLotus Eaters

Cyclops

Island of Aeolus

Laestrygonians

Aeaea

The Sirens

Etc

If you show that most of these places where real cities or towns, specific details were given on each place (like a port or a lake or something like that), and homer accuretly mentioned the name of the say the governor of each city, then you would have a point.

The odesy would have be analogous to the gospels, and I would have to accept them as valid historical sources in order to be consistent.
All myths have real places and people.
The Quran is traced back to an original source. There are historical pilgrimages, SEVEN actual historic battles documented in the Quran, many real religious sites and about 100 real locations, groups, real people and their wives and more.

None of this is proof that Gabrielle is real, angels are real and Muhammad had a revelation. Of course there are apologetics, it couldn't be recreated, it has science beyond it's time they could not know. I don't believe any of that is true and it can be demonstrated but their apologists believe it.

In the same way the absolute mythic NT, a Hellenistic religious tale combined with Jewish and Persian theology in no way is historical. It isn't written as history, at all.
As I explained it's written as a myth, using fictive literary devices (many impossible sequences of events in triadic ring cycles) and using a myth that was trending ONLY in places where the Greeks invaded, combining their local religion with Hellenism, creating mystery religions. Yes they used baptism, a communal meal, salvation, a savior and so on.

Who were they?

Elusinian Mysteries = Mycenaean + Hellenistic

Bacchic Mysteries = Phoenician + Hellenistic

Mysteries of Attis and Cybele = Phrygian + Hellenistic

Mysteries of Baal = Anatolian + Hellenistic

Mysteries of Mithras = Persian + Hellenistic

Mysteries of Isis and Osiris = Egyptian + Hellenistic

Christian Mysteries = Jewish + Hellenistic

Mark uses mystery religion terminology many times in his Gospel.

So build your case, I don’t know anythong about homer, nor any of the myths that you mentioned, so perhaps that do have the same level of historical accuracy and detail than the gospels.
Homer and Mark /Acts have parallels but the historical events in Homer are not able to be verified. We can see Mark was using other literature to craft his story, in part at least.

joelr

The soul isnt a "body" in my belief or philosophy which comes from the Urantia Book revelation.

"The Universal Father is the secret of the reality of personality, the bestowal of personality, and the destiny of personality. The Eternal Son is the absolute personality, the secret of spiritual energy, morontia spirits, and perfected spirits. The Conjoint Actor is the spirit-mind personality, the source of intelligence, reason, and the universal mind. But the Isle of Paradise is nonpersonal and extraspiritual, being the essence of the universal body, the source and center of physical matter, and the absolute master pattern of universal material reality.
That sounds completely made up.

These qualities of universal reality are manifest in Urantian human experience on the following levels:

1. Body. The material or physical organism of man. The living electrochemical mechanism of animal nature and origin.

2. Mind. The thinking, perceiving, and feeling mechanism of the human organism. The total conscious and unconscious experience. The intelligence associated with the emotional life reaching upward through worship and wisdom to the spirit level.
Those are real enough.

3. Spirit. The divine spirit that indwells the mind of man—the Thought Adjuster. This immortal spirit is prepersonal— not a personality, though destined to become a part of the personality of the surviving mortal creature.
Needs evidence.

4. Soul. The soul of man is an experiential acquirement. As a mortal creature chooses to "do the will of the Father in heaven," so the indwelling spirit becomes the father of a new reality in human experience. The mortal and material mind is the mother of this same emerging reality. The substance of this new reality is neither material nor spiritual—it is morontial. This is the emerging and immortal soul which is destined to survive mortal death and begin the Paradise ascension.
Also needs evidence.

Personality. The personality of mortal man is neither body, mind, nor spirit; neither is it the soul. Personality is the one changeless reality in an otherwise ever-changing creature experience; and it unifies all other associated factors of individuality. The personality is the unique bestowal which the Universal Father makes upon the living and associated energies of matter, mind, and spirit, and which survives with the survival of the morontial soul.

0:5.12 Morontia is a term designating a vast level intervening between the material and the spiritual. It may designate personal or impersonal realities, living or nonliving energies. The warp of morontia is spiritual; its woof is physical." UB 1955
This sounds like a work. Probably revelations or channeled?

So the information is very detailed. So they were getting precise information in (what was the date?) so now show me all of the future science, and math equations and problems they solved to demonstrate any sort of intelligence beyond a human person.
Also some philosophy beyond what a human can produce. OR is this more of the same spirit decides to contact human but can only strangely tell them concepts similar to what already is being passed around and ZERO on new science, math, explanations of the universe, cosmology, new elements. Heck, if it was the 1940s and they said "internet, 2000's and cell phones will be big" just that would be huge.

Colt

That sounds completely made up.

Those are real enough.

Needs evidence.

Also needs evidence.

This sounds like a work. Probably revelations or channeled?

So the information is very detailed. So they were getting precise information in (what was the date?) so now show me all of the future science, and math equations and problems they solved to demonstrate any sort of intelligence beyond a human person.
Also some philosophy beyond what a human can produce. OR is this more of the same spirit decides to contact human but can only strangely tell them concepts similar to what already is being passed around and ZERO on new science, math, explanations of the universe, cosmology, new elements. Heck, if it was the 1940s and they said "internet, 2000's and cell phones will be big" just that would be huge.
cell phones??? well, sort of

UB, 1911?-1934, printed 1955

47:10.2 John the Revelator saw a vision of the arrival of a class of advancing mortals from the seventh mansion world to their first heaven, the glories of Jerusem. He recorded: “And I saw as it were a sea of glass mingled with fire; and those who had gained the victory over the beast that was originally in them and over the image that persisted through the mansion worlds and finally over the last mark and trace, standing on the sea of glass, having the harps of God, and singing the song of deliverance from mortal fear and death.” (Perfected space communication is to be had on all these worlds; and your anywhere reception of such communications is made possible by carrying the “harp of God,” a morontia contrivance compensating for the inability to directly adjust the immature morontia sensory mechanism to the reception of space communications.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who were the ghost people of Africa? DNA reveals ancient Africans bred with new unknown race of humans just 50,000 years ago​

DANYAL HUSSAIN and JOE PINKSTONE FOR MAILONLINE

Evidence of the so-called ‘ghost population was found in modern-day people and did not match the genetic fingerprint of Homo sapiens, Denisovans or Neanderthals (pictured, artist’s impression of a neanderthal)
An extinct branch of human ancestry has been discovered lurking inside the DNA of modern-day West Africans which evolved around 500,000 years ago.

Traces of this so-called ‘ghost population’ were located in modern-day people and did not match the genetic fingerprint of Homo sapiens, Denisovans or Neanderthals.

Exactly what species the hominids belonged to is unknown, but humans mated with them around 50,000 years ago, researchers discovered.

No physical evidence — DNA from ancient bones, for example — was found, but a computer model indicates this mysterious species must exist.

Scientists at the University of California in Los Angeles say the unidentified species accounts for up to 19 per cent of the genetic ancestry of four populations in three countries: two from Nigeria, one from Sierra Leone and one from the Gambia.......

Cont>Who were the ghost people of Africa? DNA reveals ancient Africans bred with new unknown race of humans just 50,000 years ago.

Urantia Book 1911?-34, printed 1955
64:6.10 2. The orange man. The outstanding characteristic of this race was their peculiar urge to build, to build anything and everything, even to the piling up of vast mounds of stone just to see which tribe could build the largest mound. Though they were not a progressive people, they profited much from the schools of the Prince and sent delegates there for instruction.

64:6.11 The orange race was the first to follow the coast line southward toward Africa as the Mediterranean Sea withdrew to the west. But they never secured a favorable footing in Africa and were wiped out of existence by the later arriving green race.

64:6.12 Before the end came, this people lost much cultural and spiritual ground. But there was a great revival of higher living as a result of the wise leadership of Porshunta, the master mind of this unfortunate race, who ministered to them when their headquarters was at Armageddon some three hundred thousand years ago.

64:6.13 The last great struggle between the orange and the green men occurred in the region of the lower Nile valley in Egypt. This long-drawn-out battle was waged for almost one hundred years, and at its close very few of the orange race were left alive. The shattered remnants of these people were absorbed by the green and by the later arriving indigo men. But as a race the orange man ceased to exist about one hundred thousand years ago.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Urantia Book​

Paper 74​

ADAM AND EVE​

74:0.1 ADAM AND EVE arrived on Urantia, from the year A.D. 1934, 37,848 years ago. It was in midseason when the Garden was in the height of bloom that they arrived. At high noon and unannounced, the two seraphic transports, accompanied by the Jerusem personnel intrusted with the transportation of the biologic uplifters to Urantia, settled slowly to the surface of the revolving planet in the vicinity of the temple of the Universal Father. All the work of rematerializing the bodies of Adam and Eve was carried on within the precincts of this newly created shrine. And from the time of their arrival ten days passed before they were re-created in dual human form for presentation as the world's new rulers. They regained consciousness simultaneously. The Material Sons and Daughters always serve together. It is the essence of their service at all times and in all places never to be separated. They are designed to work in pairs; seldom do they function alone.

Clip source UBtheNEWS

According to The Urantia Book, which was published in 1955, the first human beings (roughly corresponding to Homo erectus) evolved about 1,000,000 years ago. It also recounts that almost 38,000 years ago Adam and Eve introduced some genetic upgrades into our gene pool, which enhanced brain function and resistance to disease (roughly corresponding with Homo sapiens sapiens). The authors extensively recount the development of the civilization that Adam and Eve started and how their descendants migrated around the world and mixed with other races. The Urantia Book provides specific information regarding time periods, places, degree of admixture with other races, and the impact on language and other aspects of culture.

Starting in 2004 numerous reports started to be published relating to portions of the Y chromosome and the Microcephalin gene. The Microcephalin gene play a critical role in the growth of the brain. The research results closely correlate with what The Urantia Book says about the spread of the genetic and cultural contributions of Adam and Eve. The research into Microcephalin indicates that new genetic material was introduced into the Microcephalin gene about 37,000 years ago and that the rest of the Microcephalin gene was approximately 990,000 years old. None of the obvious explanations for how new material might have been introduced fit well with the results of the research. It then spread into most of the human population quite rapidly, excepting sub-Saharan Africa. Similarly, Y chromosome related studies also document how some types of mutations or other changes occurred around 40,000 years ago, originating in the Mesopotamia region, and spreading quickly into most of humanity, excepting sub-Saharan Africa.

Is this UB claim a coincidental cold-hit by fraudsters?????

Microcephalin, a Gene Regulating Brain Size, Continues to Evolve Adaptively in Humans

Last edited:

Thrillobyte

I already looked this up. And I thought I posted the dates to you before. You claimed Luke was 80ish years after Jesus. Anyway... dates and links are below.

Matthew: "Most modern scholars hold that it was written anonymously in the last quarter of the first century." - link below
Luke: "Most scholars date the composition of the combined work to around 80–90 AD" - link below

That's pretty close. Matthew 75-100AD-ish. Luke 80-90AD-ish. There's no real difference there.

There you go. Supported.
Not supported.

No scholar believes that Matthew and Luke were written in a vacuum independent of each other. Luke copied from Matthew and there is much in Luke that is not in Matthew so it's obvious Matthew came first and then Luke. How much time between gospels is a matter of guesswork since no fragments of Matthew, Mark and Luke start appearing until the late 2nd century and whole copies of the gospels don't appear until the 4th century.

Which is older Matthew or Luke?

"About 15 years after Mark, in about the year 85 CE, the author known as Matthew composed his work, drawing on a variety of sources, including Mark and from a collection of sayings that scholars later called "Q", for Quelle, meaning source. The Gospel of Luke was written about fifteen years later, between 85 and 95."

Luke will always be used in conjunction with words like "tradition says...." "it is believed...." "is ascribed to...." and other vague phrases because Luke never appears in any secular volumes of history. It's all guesswork. Even his date of death is traditional since it isn't mentioned anywhere. Like most everything in this period modern scholars start saying things without any evidence and other scholars just go with it. Nothing about Luke can be supported, not even his authorship of the gospel. It was Irenaeus who attached MML and J's names to the gospels circa 185 CE

Thrillobyte

I didn't see anything about a green lesbian. But you don't give birth to God without being royalty.

[Mary] is royal.
I would point out to the readers this salient fact:

That the genealogies of Matthew and Luke have serious disagreements between each other goes without saying. How do the apologists try to paper over this glaring inconsistency? Sleight of hand: they claimed without any evidence that Matthew's genealogy is about Joseph and Luke's genealogy is about Mary. So Mary being royalty comes about strictly because of expediency--to sweep away the discrepancies between the two. Both mention Joseph; neither mention Mary so how do Christians get the idea Luke's is about Mary? Or is it all pure guesswork and having to take the word of two people without any historical records we know of to rely on? Luke's genealogy is so ridiculous it tries to carry Jesus' lineage all the way back to Adam and Eve, two other mythical figures. That's how much hubris Luke writes with.

Colt

I would point out to the readers this salient fact:

That the genealogies of Matthew and Luke have serious disagreements between each other goes without saying. How do the apologists try to paper over this glaring inconsistency? Sleight of hand: they claimed without any evidence that Matthew's genealogy is about Joseph and Luke's genealogy is about Mary. So Mary being royalty comes about strictly because of expediency--to sweep away the discrepancies between the two. Both mention Joseph; neither mention Mary so how do Christians get the idea Luke's is about Mary? Or is it all pure guesswork and having to take the word of two people without any historical records we know of to rely on? Luke's genealogy is so ridiculous it tries to carry Jesus' lineage all the way back to Adam and Eve, two other mythical figures. That's how much hubris Luke writes with.
Because the genealogies are just wrong! The early followers of Jesus were Jewish men and women who ASSUMED that Jesus was the Jewish Messiah. In an ongoing attempt to convince their fellow Jews after Jesus left they sought to trace his ancestry as well as force Jesus into certain Old Testament writings which were NOT about Jesus!