• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theological Parodies

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Should the government be allowed to pass laws governing your beliefs about atheism? If not, then it falls under the legal definition of a religion.
I once read a legal definition of an automobile as "a powered vehicle with four or more wheels not in a line, in contact with the ground or road surface." Sometimes legal definitions aren't really adequate for all purposes... unless, of course, my car really does cease to be an automobile while it's jacked up to change a tire.

Atheists should have the same protection afforded to them that any religion has. Of course, they have the same responsibilities as well.
I kinda know the responsibilities of a church, and I kinda know the responsibilities of a religiously-affiliated charity or business... but what are the responsibilities of a religion? :confused:

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Should the government be allowed to pass laws governing your beliefs about atheism? If not, then it falls under the legal definition of a religion.
Atheists should have the same protection afforded to them that any religion has. Of course, they have the same responsibilities as well.
So, under the law, we are a religion, therefore we are a religion? That is absurd.

There are hundreds of legal definitions that do not adhere to traditional usage.
I will be more clear though
Religion ~[SIZE=-1]a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny;
an institution to express belief in a divine power; "
[/SIZE]
Also, how does atheism function like a religion in any aspect at all? If atheism is a religion, then I can pretty much declare anything a religion, making it a useless term.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Atheists do not hold one set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature and purpose of the universe any more than theists hold one set of beliefs about them. There is definitely no single moral code governing the conduct of human affairs that all atheists adhere to.

Atheists, by definition, do not consider the universe to be the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies.

Most atheists do not participate in devotional ritual observances.

Is this the definition you think makes atheism a religion? If so, why?

There is no specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by atheists, unless you're claiming that the belief in the non-existence of God makes a "set". I suppose that technically, a set can have one member (though a set can also have zero members, so I think it'd be just as logical to argue that the entire planet is a single religion, since they agree to an empty set of beliefs ;) ), but I think this is stepping beyond the use of the term in normal speech.

This one's clear enough: atheism does not meet this definition of religion. There are atheist associations, but most atheists do not adhere to them.

While belief in the supernatural can play a role in a religion, it is not essential. Playing fast and loose with words does little to prove your point.
Fast and loose with words? Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle. ;)

Atheism is no more a religion than theism is one.

There are atheistic religions (certain forms of Buddhism come to mind, and some other religions allow the individual member to decide for themselves whether God exists) and there are theistic religions (i.e. most of them :) ). There are theists who don't belong to any religion (I'd argue that a good portion of the people who describe themselves as "spiritual, not religious" fall into this category) and there are atheists who don't belong to any religion as well (i.e. most of them :) ).

But the flipside to arguing, as you effectively are, that the status of a set of peoples' belief in God is enough to define them as a religion is that theism as a whole is a religion as well. I don't know any reasonable person who would agree that Christianity, Islam, Wicca, Zoroastrianism, Native American religion, cargo cults, theistic Buddhism, Hinduism, worship of the Greek pantheon, etc., etc. are all the same religion. This is the implication of what you're arguing; unless you're okay with this, I think you should reconsider your position.

There are theistic religions. There are religions with theist members. This does not make theism a religion. By the same token, there are atheistic religions and there are religions with atheist members, but this does not make atheism a religion.

Rolling_Stone

Atheists do not hold one set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature and purpose of the universe any more than theists hold one set of beliefs about them. There is definitely no single moral code governing the conduct of human affairs that all atheists adhere to.

Atheists, by definition, do not consider the universe to be the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies.

Most atheists do not participate in devotional ritual observances.

There is no specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by atheists, unless you're claiming that the belief in the non-existence of God makes a "set". I suppose that technically, a set can have one member (though a set can also have zero members, so I think it'd be just as logical to argue that the entire planet is a single religion, since they agree to an empty set of beliefs ;) ), but I think this is stepping beyond the use of the term in normal speech.

This one's clear enough: atheism does not meet this definition of religion. There are atheist associations, but most atheists do not adhere to them.

Fast and loose with words? Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle. ;)

Atheism is no more a religion than theism is one.

There are atheistic religions (certain forms of Buddhism come to mind, and some other religions allow the individual member to decide for themselves whether God exists) and there are theistic religions (i.e. most of them :) ). There are theists who don't belong to any religion (I'd argue that a good portion of the people who describe themselves as "spiritual, not religious" fall into this category) and there are atheists who don't belong to any religion as well (i.e. most of them :) ).

But the flipside to arguing, as you effectively are, that the status of a set of peoples' belief in God is enough to define them as a religion is that theism as a whole is a religion as well. I don't know any reasonable person who would agree that Christianity, Islam, Wicca, Zoroastrianism, Native American religion, cargo cults, theistic Buddhism, Hinduism, worship of the Greek pantheon, etc., etc. are all the same religion. This is the implication of what you're arguing; unless you're okay with this, I think you should reconsider your position.

There are theistic religions. There are religions with theist members. This does not make theism a religion. By the same token, there are atheistic religions and there are religions with atheist members, but this does not make atheism a religion.
Ann Coulter is right in her book Godless.

Fluffy

A fool
Scuba Pete said:
Is theism a religion and, if not, why specifically is it not?

Rolling Stone said:
Ann Coulter is right in her book Godless.
I've never read the book but it sounds interesting. What was she right about, Rolling Stone?

Random

Which earmarks?

Evangelism ("religion is irrational and stupid, join the winning side now!"),

Fanaticism ("theists suffer with delusions and are mentally ill, they need to be locked up away from rational, sane people...like us")

Uncritical acceptance of external authority (eg. Science, Secularism, Democracy, Materialism)

Those are just to name a few...

Fluffy

A fool
Random said:
Evangelism ("religion is irrational and stupid, join the winning side now!"),

Fanaticism ("theists suffer with delusions and are mentally ill, they need to be locked up away from rational, sane people...like us")

Uncritical acceptance of external authority (eg. Science, Secularism, Democracy, Materialism)

Those are just to name a few...
Would you like us to see religion in those terms?

Pete said:
My... that's going to leave a mark.
smile.gif
Would you?

Why can't you (as in all of you) just let us believe that there is something positive about religion for others and that we are happy without it just as you guys are happy with it? Why do you have to consistently accuse us of believing, desiring a whole array of things that we don't think or feel? And why when we call you out on it can you do nothing more than go "Look at Dawkins! You started it" as if a few atheists were the equivalent of the Pope, infallibility and all?

Random

Would you like us to see religion in those terms?

Most do already, don't they?

Fluffy said:
Why can't you (as in all of you) just let us believe that there is something positive about religion for others and that we are happy without it just as you guys are happy with it? Why do you have to consistently accuse us of believing, desiring a whole array of things that we don't think or feel? And why when we call you out on it can you do nothing more than go "Look at Dawkins! You started it" as if a few atheists were the equivalent of the Pope, infallibility and all

Well, Atheists did start it. Fact. But it will be shown that it was not wise council to start a war you can't win...and Dawkins and the rest of the Dirt Clique (Dennet, Hitchens, et al) are treated like Gurus in the truest sense of the word, and their words treated almost infallibly. What's the difference with a Pope? None.