• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theocracies and fundamentalism

Five Solas

What we see in the US is Oligarchy: Study: US is an oligarchy, not a democracy
People are discontented because they are being exploited.

The treasure of the richest nation on Earth has become almost entirely concentrated in the hands of a very few individuals and corporations. The poor are poorer, and the Middle Class is disintegrating.
This is all by design, initiated by the Powell Memo [ The Powell Memo: A Call-to-Arms for Corporations | BillMoyers.com ], Which was later implemented by Reagan's Neoliberal revolution ("trickle-down" economics).

The right-wing Corporatists, and their GOP lackeys, have successfully shifted the popular blame for the economic and social decline to the "Radical Leftists."
I wouldn't say it's due to secularism. It's due more to corporatism; to Neoliberal Capitalism.

Religion is, potentially, just as exploitative, and is, today, being exploited by the GOP to divert the public from the real source of their discontent.
That study says: "the wealthy few move policy, while the average American has little power."

That is the issue, I think, in most of the western world. So it's not government by the people for the people.
Politics in my view became a battle of ideologies exploited by the wealthy.

ronki23

Exactly what I said. Muslims are more effective at combatting Islamic extremism than outsiders.

Yeah, so I don't want a theocracy, even if it's NOT executing apostates or gaoling homosexuals. But it's worth noting that an assumption that the most extreme interpretation of any religion is the version which follows it 'completely' isn't overly accurate.
The best proof against Islamic extremism are Muslims.

ISIS and the Taliban believe they're the true Muslims. The argument is that your average Muslim isn't a true follower.
I've noticed that most Muslims hate America and are anti Israeli; they will abstain from pork but will still drink alcohol and smoke. I'd say 1 out of 3 Muslims I know don't fast on Ramadan

Hindu Mahasabha believe they're the true Hindus. I don't know enough about them but I don't condone shooting Mahatma Gandhi.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
ISIS and the Taliban believe they're the true Muslims. The argument is that your average Muslim isn't a true follower.
I've noticed that most Muslims hate America and are anti Israeli; they will abstain from pork but will still drink alcohol and smoke. I'd say 1 out of 3 Muslims I know don't fast on Ramadan

Hindu Mahasabha believe they're the true Hindus. I don't know enough about them but I don't condone shooting Mahatma Gandhi.

I didn't say 'true', since such an argument is nonsensical if taken from world view (by definition an atheist isn't going to see any theists as 'true' anythings...).

Many of the people fighting against ISIS were Muslims. There is really very little of controversy in my statement. Unless you want to pretend Muslims are a homogenous group.

ronki23

So I watched a documentary on the return of the Taliban in Afghanistan and how people were desperate to get away : does this mean literally interpreting Islam is a bad thing?

Yesterday I posted about the 2022 head scarf riots in Iran: is Islam evil if people in those countries don't want to abide by it?