• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Word "Retard"

Timothy Bryce

Admittedly, this is a topic that I might be lacking in understanding so I appreciate any assistance.

The other day, I was watching a game at a bar and one of the players on screen made a huge mistake. One guy I was watching the game with shook his head and said, "that'd be right - the retard we all knew him to be". Immediately when this guy said "retard," another guy turned around to him, noticeably offended, and confronted him about his use of the word. The offended guy's complaint was based upon the fact that he "works with special needs children" and that he is always offended when he hears that word being used. The guy apologised and said to offended guy that he never intended to use the word to offend anyone.

Now, I have an enormous respect for language and love flexible use of the English language so this altercation left me puzzled. After briefly looking at the etymology and considering the past and present uses of the word, I'm still at a loss about this offended guy's reaction.

First off - apparently this was a term that was widely accepted with medical connotations and used as a means to refer to people with mental disabilities as an alternative to being called things like "idiot" or "moron". This was apparently up until the last 15 years when people started deciding that "retard" should be considered an insult. Secondly, the word is used so liberally today to refer to so many different things in literally infinite contexts that to avoid the word would probably only cripple expression.

Considering the above paragraph, it's obvious to me that there needs to be a term that distinguishes people with intellectual disabilities for everyone's benefit however it seems as if the very nature of the topic would doom any term that refers to intellectually challenged people to eventually become a term of insult. This almost confirms to me that simply being offended by something does not constitute any form of argument and by assuming that it does stifles progress.

Idk, it's a dirty topic I suppose - but necessary.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
"Moron", "imbecile" and "retard" were originally terms used on IQ tests to classify low IQ people. Eventually they started being used as insults. We already have a non-offensive term for mentally impaired people - handicapped. (But to some, even that is offensive so they came up with "handicapable". :rolleyes:)

Timothy Bryce

"Moron", "imbecile" and "retard" were originally terms used on IQ tests to classify low IQ people. Eventually they started being used as insults. We already have a non-offensive term for mentally impaired people - handicapped. (But to some, even that is offensive so they came up with "handicapable". :rolleyes:)

Lol, how long until "handicapable" becomes an offensive term?

I can just imagine two guys getting into a bar fight, throwing the word "handicapable" at each other.

dust1n

Zindīq
Considering the above paragraph, it's obvious to me that there needs to be a term that distinguishes people with intellectual disabilities for everyone's benefit however it seems as if the very nature of the topic would doom any term that refers to intellectually challenged people to eventually become a term of insult.

This is called a euphemism treadmill.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
It was a lot longer ago that people began to think that those words were worthy as insults--I can remember them being slung about when I was in elementary school in the 1960s. In the 1980s, the term handicapped was already in wide use, and people--read those who had family members who were handicapped in some way, and other people who are sensitive to the feelings of others, sometimes because they worked with those individuals, and sometimes because they were just sensitive people--were actively trying to get people to stop using words like retard, idiot, and so on. I personally, have been asking people, more or less politely, to find other words since 1980. It's partly because I'm well aware of how words can harm, and it's partly because I adopted my handicapped son, and I find that I have to defend him from the insensitive louts who insist on using offensive terms. Usually, it's simply providing a little education.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I vote for putting retard back on its former pedestal and put those PC tards back in their proper place, as this is just so offensive to all non PC folks everywhere.

Timothy Bryce

Meh, why can't people just call each other idiots or mad?
No need to offend others while your at it, just offend who you are targeting.

I see this in reverse. I don't think a person's speech should be governed by whether or not someone might be offended; I think that's a slippery slope to a ****tier world.

In the context of the incident I mentioned in my first post, the football player who was the subject of criticism had often been criticised for his awkward, goofy appearance and demeanour and when he was called a "retard". I laughed out loud. It was funny and using any other word wouldn't have been as funny. I don't think the conduct of many should be curbed by the arbitrary feelings of individuals who regard their being offended as an argument especially when the intention to offend is not there; if anything, the intention to offend is held by the offended one.

Timothy Bryce

It was a lot longer ago that people began to think that those words were worthy as insults--I can remember them being slung about when I was in elementary school in the 1960s. In the 1980s, the term handicapped was already in wide use, and people--read those who had family members who were handicapped in some way, and other people who are sensitive to the feelings of others, sometimes because they worked with those individuals, and sometimes because they were just sensitive people--were actively trying to get people to stop using words like retard, idiot, and so on. I personally, have been asking people, more or less politely, to find other words since 1980. It's partly because I'm well aware of how words can harm, and it's partly because I adopted my handicapped son, and I find that I have to defend him from the insensitive louts who insist on using offensive terms. Usually, it's simply providing a little education.

Are you referring to people who use the word "retard" or people who deliberately go out of their way to offend your son or yourself? They seem to be mutually exclusive uses of the word.

What education would necessarily rectify either of those uses? Everyone knows what we're talking about.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Yeah, it's become a pejorative term, and for no apparently good reason.

from the Urban Dictionary.

RETARD
"A person born with a mental condition and therefore has to work a million times harder to be able to do simple things (such as learn and communicate) that we take for granted. On top of this, a retard will usually suffer a lot of ridicule from society because people fear what they do not understand. The people who choose to make fun of the mental retarded tend to be complete morons and cannot comprehend that these people have feelings and emotions just like anyone else.

I find it amusing that saying somebody has cancer would not be taken as a joke and yet, using another disease such as mental retarded as an insult is common among society, and many do not realize that it is very offensive and that there is something seriously wrong about it."
source

Deidre

It's never necessary to name call. It's not compulsory to find an 'appropriate' word to sling at someone when you're angry, or have a weak argument lol

Mockery, bullying, making fun of people...all not necessary. But, usually people who sling the terms 'retard' and other such words around, are unhappy themselves. And are looking to feel better about themselves, by putting others down.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Its just not funny though. I don't see the difference in that or the N word tbh.
Making fun of a minority due to how they were born.
How is calling someone a "retard" making fun of those who are mentally retarded?

"Intellectual disability (ID), also called intellectual development disorder (IDD) or general learning disability,and formerly known as mental retardation (MR)is a generalized neurodevelopmental disorder characterized by significantly impaired intellectual and adaptive functioning.'
Source: Wikipedia

From the American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (AAIDD).

"The term intellectual disability covers the same population of individuals who were diagnosed previously with mental retardation in number, kind, level, type, duration of disability, and the need of people with this disability for individualized services and supports."
source

Timothy Bryce

Yeah, it's become a pejorative term, and for no apparently good reason.

from the Urban Dictionary.

RETARD
"A person born with a mental condition and therefore has to work a million times harder to be able to do simple things (such as learn and communicate) that we take for granted. On top of this, a retard will usually suffer a lot of ridicule from society because people fear what they do not understand. The people who choose to make fun of the mental retarded tend to be complete morons and cannot comprehend that these people have feelings and emotions just like anyone else.

I find it amusing that saying somebody has cancer would not be taken as a joke and yet, using another disease such as mental retarded as an insult is common among society, and many do not realize that it is very offensive and that there is something seriously wrong about it."
source

I wouldn't argue "no good reason".

I think "retard" is extremely effective phonetically when used as an insult and conjures up just as effective imagery when used in that context. I also feel that insulting a mentally handicapped person for being born mentally handicapped or as the result of some unforeseen tragedy is in poor taste.

The difference between using "cancer" as an insult and "retard" is that "retard" is a far more personal attack on someone's intellectual capacity or ability to do anything for the very reasons explained in your urban dictionary definition. I fail to see what is wrong with using the word in a context that doesn't expressly refer to mentally handicapped people. I've heard people refer to imperialism as a "cancer on the face of the earth"; does that mean an anti-imperialist with cancer would be offended by the expression? I think it's a valid analogy; the same way that, if someone were to do something that reflected poor judgement or ignorance, the word retard becomes more appropriate.

At some point, people need to get in touch with reality rather than defaulting to being offended. It's an offensive world and everyone experiences it.

Timothy Bryce

It's never necessary to name call. It's not compulsory to find an 'appropriate' word to sling at someone when you're angry, or have a weak argument lol

Mockery, bullying, making fun of people...all not necessary. But, usually people who sling the terms 'retard' and other such words around, are unhappy themselves. And are looking to feel better about themselves, by putting others down.

Case Study: A principal lawyer asks one of his paralegals to look for an appropriate barrister to act in a matter and the paralegal suggests one. The principal, as the work load is enormous, says no on the basis that he would be "a retarded choice" or that "[the barrister in question] is a retard".

Now, these two colleagues might have a mutual understanding of what is meant when they refer to someone in the industry as a retard and, by using a two syllable word instead of explaining why this barrister would be an inappropriate choice, time is saved.

Where in this case study is an example of someone who is reflecting their unhappiness and where is the example of putting others down to make themselves feel better?

Timothy Bryce

Because they use the term retarded as a synonym for something inferior or something that doesn't work properly. I don't think you should need an explanation why that is offensive. This sums it pretty well I think.

This is such redundant noise on the issue.

Isn't a mental disability BY DEFINITION describing something inferior or that doesn't work properly?

Retarded as a word also goes beyond characterising/distinguishing people.