• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Veracity of the Bible Put in Question

Hawkins

Our languages advance with time. The English today is not the English 2000 years ago. The KJV is an up to date translation from Greek back in King James days. God's criteria for the maintenance of the Bible's accuracy is as follows,

1) The translations must be true human witnessing, such that their overall validity can stand court in heaven
2) The translations must be theologically consistent, say, with the NIV stream of translations
3) The overall effect of the Bible is for those with faith to read to be saved, and those without faith to read to be condemned

Period.

Humans are simply too stupid to make a correct judgment about what's going on.

Deidre

If you are a Christian, the Bible is 'one way' of coming to know God...or 'a god.' Not all of the Bible makes sense, but that is how I tend to interpret things...it's a way of knowing God. There are other ways, and that is through experiencing faith. I think why some feel flat in their faith, is that they view the Bible as the only way to gain an understanding of God. Even if all Christians were to believe the Bible as literal through and through (which many don't)...it's still just a set of stories, told by others...there is more to faith than the Bible, for a Christian. (IMO)

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I've already considered that, but it costs considerably more, and the book you would end up with still wouldn't be ideal. I have a thread about finding a Bible.
Well for its not finding a new bible or scripture, its realizing what is within, its being connected to what is called God, this connection is where our true inner being realizes the truth, the truth can never be found outside of us, don't be too conditioned by scripture, something that had its worth many years ago, but now needs to be put away, so as to grow in spirit, or mature in spirit.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The KJV has been read by more people and brought more people to God than all others combined.
It has itself been retranslated into other languages more than any other Bibles.
Its direct successor the NRSV is already the most used replacement in the Anglican communion and is the officially authorised version in all major churches. It is also the most used and respected by academics and for serious study.

Most so called errors in Bibles are where passages diverge from the beliefs of the reader, rather than real inaccuracies

12jtartar

Premium Member
It is widely recognized within academic Christianity that the KJV is one of the most inaccurate versions currently available. It is one of the worst possible translations to study from.

Eseka,
You are technically right about the KJV, but the truth is also in that Bible. The message to mankind, from God is there, it just has to be searched for a little harder. There are said to be over 20,000 errors in the KJV, but they have, mostly to do with numbers and names, which as very little to do with the message of the Bible. Many people do not want the KJV to be changed, because they like the way it is written, ans especially since they have read it for many years.
Even though there are inaccuracies in the KJV, it does not mean that God has not protected His word, just as ahe promised, Psalms 12:6,7, Isaiah 40:8, John 17:17, 1Peter 1:25. There are many, many Bibles today that are very accurate, so if anyone wants to know exactly what the Bible said in any place, it is very easy to get several Bible translations to compare, besides there are many Bible dictionaries, Concordances so that anyone who is serious about Bible truth, has no excuse, before God, Jehovah, for not knowing the truth, by which we will all be judged, John 4:23,24, 2Thessalonians 2:10-13, Romans 3:5,6, 14:10,12. Since God is just in all things, He would not judge mankind, if there were not any Bibles that had His truth in them, Deuteronomy 32:4, Job 34:10-12.
Only aperson who has made no serious search says there is no God, Psalms 10:4, 14:1, 53:1.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Eseka,

Only a person who has made no serious search says there is no God, Psalms 10:4, 14:1, 53:1.
Thegoverning body of Jehovah's Witnesses might be misleading you about these scriptures.
There are people who say, "there is no God" and those men say these scriptures are about those people..

There are people who carry no thought of God and the will of God to do and these scriptures are about them.

Jesus says, "you will love the Lord, your God, with ALL the heart, ALL the mind and ALL the soul....."

When you do, your heart. mind and soul will know God. THEN your heart will tell you that God is with you. If not, then you heart is saying there is no God with you.

In fact, the governing body of JWs actually teach you that you need them for God to be with you. Do they not?

12jtartar

Premium Member
Savagewind,
It all is determined by what you mean, need. Need in what way, for salvation? NO!! Maybe for help in understanding the message of the Holy Scriptures, especially for those who are still BABES, in the truth.
The Bible actually tells us NOT to put our trust in men, because there is NO salvation in men, Psalms 146:3,4. The Bible also tells us that we will all give ACCOUNT, FOR HIMSELF, before the Judgment Seat of God.
Elders, are in the congregations to help anyone who needs help, especially spiritual help, but also in any way that it is needed. The Bible tells us to be in subjection to the ones taking the lead in the congregations, which are elders, Hebrews 13:17. Of course, this subjection is relative. If anyone, elders included, tell you something that is contrary to what the Bible says, we should not obey, Acts 5:29.
If a member of the congregation has committed a serious sin, the elders can help that person to get back on tract, by encouraging them and by asking them how they are doing, which helps the person to stay away from what they did wrong. The elders also pray with the person to help spiritually.
So do you NEED the elders?? I would say yes, because they are put in the congregations to help, both the individual person, and also to make sure the whole congregation is pleasing to God, Galatians 6:1. In 1Timothy chapter 3, and Titus chapter 2, gives some of the qualifications of both elders and ministerial servants. Men who fulfill these qualifications can be of great help to any congregation.
Of all Christians in the first century, Paul was given, by far, the most knowledge and understanding of how Jesus wanted the congregations to operate. 1Corinthians, chapters 12-14 give many instructions.
There was also a Governing Body in Jerusalem, with Jesus' half brother James the head. Any problems or help need in any way, the congregations would consult the Governing body for instructions. At Acts 15:1-33. As the Bible tells us at Acts 14:33, God is not a God of confusion, but of peace, so He wants all congregations to run as one.
There is not to be divisions of God's world wide congregation, all should speak the same truths, 1Corinthians 1:10. To make sure that all things, the world over, operate the same and continue to be pleasing to God and His son Jesus, who is the Head of the Congregation, the Governing Body is needed, as are elders.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
@12jtartar but I think you are missing the fact that you DO need the governing body for salvation because they teach that you must know scripture their way and only their way.

12jtartar

Premium Member
@12jtartar but I think you are missing the fact that you DO need the governing body for salvation because they teach that you must know scripture their way and only their way.

savagewind,
The only thing anyone is required to believe in is The Holy Scriptures!!! That is the reason God had His word recorded and kept accurate, Psalms 12:6,7. God will judge the world of mankind on what He had written, Romans 3:4-6.
Remember, God does not want any to be destroyed, but all to attain to repentance, 2Peter 3:9. All those who do not love the TRUTH will be destroyed, John 4:23,24, 2Thessalonians 2:8-14.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
savagewind,
The only thing anyone is required to believe in is The Holy Scriptures!!! That is the reason God had His word recorded and kept accurate, Psalms 12:6,7. God will judge the world of mankind on what He had written, Romans 3:4-6.
Remember, God does not want any to be destroyed, but all to attain to repentance, 2Peter 3:9. All those who do not love the TRUTH will be destroyed, John 4:23,24, 2Thessalonians 2:8-14.
But I must obey the Holy Scriptures according to the direction of the Watchtower. Correct? The Bible says the command of God through Jesus is to make disciples of people. I say that is wrong. If I say it is wrong I can't be saved because I do not believe it.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
@12jtartar There is a woman who was a Jehovah's Witness and she told the JWs that she would not believe that Jesus came invisibly in 1914. She was disfellowshipped for it.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I must be through the looking glass. I suspect Paul was not transformed for the purpose of stopping the jailing of Christians but was transformed for the same reason everyone is transformed in Christ. Truth.

I agree that you must be looking at things strangely. I believe Jesus showed His concern for those persecuted when He asked Saul "why do you persecute me?"

Muffled

Jesus in me
Dear savage,
Yeshua is not God, that is a determination of the Roman church at the Council of Nicaea, and is a mark of the beast with respect of "he will intend to make alterations in time and in law" (Dan 2:24-25)

The wheat is the product of the "word of the kingdom" the "good seed". The seeds of the wheat plant are it's fruit. The testimony of Yeshua is the "good seed", and the testimony coming from the "evil one" produces tares. Per Mt 7:13, there will "many" tares which follow the path to "destruction". You will know them/false prophets, by their fruit. Look around at the fruit of the followers of Paul. What an child will see, who hasn't been indoctrinated, is double minded hypocrisy.

I believe for JW's fixing the Bible (to their point of view) didn't work very well so they stuck to just misinterpreting it instead. I believe they need to fix that but megalomania keeps them from doing so..