• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The universal sacred heritage of the Winter Solstice

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
This year is a special year for a conjunction of the two largest planets in the solar system Jupiter and Saturn. This happens often, but not always visible because of the Sun. The Winter Solstice and Spring Equinox is central to most religious and cultural traditions. To me it is a universal unifying principle, The conjuction of Saturn and Jupiter is central to this observance.

Interesting cute reference.\: Google Doodle illustrates great conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn

"Google Doodle illustrates great conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn
Animated Doodle shows us the two largest planets in our solar system appearing to pass close to each other on the first day of winter.

The shortest day of the year is going to pack a big show.

On Monday, as the Northern Hemisphere marks the beginning of winter with the solstice, we're also being treated to a rare and spectacular sight in the sky: the great conjunction."

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Conjunction.gif

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
In North China where I lived most of the time the traditional meal is Chinese dumplings (Jiaozi). I will be having Jiaozi tonight.

In South China they eat a sweet bean paste filled ball called tang yi er (sp?)

Wandering Monk

To me it is so wonderful that virtually every culture has some kind of festival of lights at the winter solstice. We really need cheering up when the days are so short and the nights so long.

I am infatuated with European Christmas Markets.

We visited this one in 1984: