• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The unholy crisscrossing of mediums

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Adaptations are tricky. All mediums have unique quirks to them and not everything can translate efficiently. Though in saying that, book readers may actually be more forgiving of a movie/TV show than casual audiences. Which is interesting given the reputation of “purists.”
I’ve seen very positive reactions from the Grisha Fandom towards the TV show adaptation of Shadow and Bone (and Six of Crows) for example. Even though the show itself isn’t actually very friendly to the everyday audience member. You have to know the lore going in, basically. Many Potter fans actually forgive a lot of the condensing of plot points in the movies due to their prior knowledge of the books.
And I’ve even seen video games blend cinematic tropes into their story (RDR2, a direct homage to the Westerns seen in Television, and a game which imo is a masterpiece.)

But what are some examples of adaptations that didn’t work?
Any guilty pleasures with regards to adaptations?
Any adaptations that surpassed the source material for you?
Discuss as you like

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
But what are some examples of adaptations that didn’t work?
Lawnmower Man, a film that originally claimed to be based on Stephen King's book. Stephen King had nothing to do with it and sued, so they had to take his name off. Personally I enjoyed the film, but I was very young and forgiving. As I've gotten older I have become less interested in films.

AlexanderG

I've really been enjoying the Wheel of Time adaptation that was just released on Prime. This is an interesting example, because a subset of longtime fans of the book series appear to be enraged that the TV adaptation isn't exactly like the books, whereas a majority of fans are grateful and excited to see it put on screen.

I think some fans really live in the world of their favorite books. Reality is very drab by comparison, after all. It may feel like an attack on their self-identity, in that sense, when a TV series distorts their inner world enough that they feel significant dissonance.

I really liked the Shadow and Bone TV series, but when I considered reading the books I didn't really like the synopsis.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I really liked the Shadow and Bone TV series, but when I considered reading the books I didn't really like the synopsis.
Interesting. May I ask why? Since the synopsis of both are pretty much the same. Though I suppose the books do focus on one point of view