• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Typhonian Order and its afterlife beliefs?

DanielR

Hi!

I don't know if this thread belongs into this section, if not then please feel free to move it into the appropriate place.

What I wanted to know is what Kenneth Grant and his Order's belief in an afterlife was? I really cannot find anything on the Internet (google). Maybe somebody could help me out. I don't understand what role Cthulhu plays in all of this.

thanks ;)

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Hi!

I don't know if this thread belongs into this section, if not then please feel free to move it into the appropriate place.

What I wanted to know is what Kenneth Grant and his Order's belief in an afterlife was? I really cannot find anything on the Internet (google). Maybe somebody could help me out. I don't understand what role Cthulhu plays in all of this.

thanks ;)

Kenneth Grant rarely discussed ideas of the afterlife, he was focused on magic in this life, here and now. He also was rather scattered, honestly from some tales I hear he made Crowley seem organized and sane. It's safe to say that he believed in a type of spiritual ascension, where man enters the magical realms upon initiation or death. His obsession with transcended states and eternal, stellar forces seem to support this.

Cthulhu comes into play because Grant tried incorporating the works of Lovecraft into Thelema. If you accept some mystical variable was present in the writing of AL, then you almost have to assume Lovecraft tapped into the same force based on the evidence. This makes the works of Lovecraft important to Grant, even things like the Simon Necronomicon which are hardly Lovecraftian. For Grant, Cthulhu was the primal force of life in us: the kundalini, the sexual driving force, the winged serpent, and so on. Raising Cthulhu as he rises from the ocean is the key to ascension.

DanielR

I'm reading the Necronomicon right now!

I was always fascinated by the Cthulhu myth, I always thought they represent the Archonts from Gnostic Christianity, never knew they would also represent Tiamat.

I'm a huge fan of HP Lovecraft!

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Depends in what context. You can use Cthulhu as everything from the symbol of Tiamat in a positive way to the devil in a negative way. As far as I know, myself and Adramelek are the only ones on the entire forum to have used the mythos, so perhaps you may want to start a private conversation with us. That said, the LHP dir or here are probably the best, or the general debate section which would be great fun.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
full

I'a k'nark Cthulhu!

DanielR

thanks guys, I have an idea for a thread, maybe the topic would not be that interesting, but it would be one good explaining why I am fascinated by the ancient ones.

Gonna start it tomorrow in the LHP section :D