• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the Turnover from atheist to theist.

CAPPA

Squirt said:
Okay, this may sound dumb, but I was born believing. I am the exact opposite from you. No matter what I do, I cannot convince myself that there is not a God. I have, on occasion, tried to talk myself out of believing in Him, but I can't. And to me, your perspective is an difficult to comprehend as mine probably is to you.

I did see something on TV awhile back. It had something to do with what some scientists have referred to as the "God gene." As it turns out, some people have this gene and some do not, and it apparently ties very closely to their inclination to be a believer or a non-believer. Science is definitely not my strong point, so I can't give you any more information. I might be able to find something online, though. If I do, I'll pass it on to you.

I mention this primarily because it has helped me come to terms with the atheistic viewpoint. For a long, long time, I used to think, "How can anybody be so stupid as to not believe in God?" I'm sure that many an atheist has often thought the reverse: "How can anyone be so stupid as to believe in God?" Maybe it really does have something to do with how we're "programmed." The one thing I will say is that I have decided that intelligence has absolutely nothing to do with whether one is a believe or not. There are brilliant and stupid people on both sides of the fence.
[font=&quot]

OK...., however, just another thought to ponder.... what if.. I say this sparingly, what if your programming was flawed... or that of mine... can your thoughts or emotions or beliefs actually materialize a supreme being into existence?
again, I plead not just with you, but the know religious world to consider all possibilities before passing judgment on something that so drastically affects this world.
[/font]

spookboy0

Bouncing Ball said:
What happened that made you suddenly believe?

Nothing happened until a couple years ago. Until then, I had been raisied in the faith, and I didn't really understand it. (you could've called me a Baptist :D :D :D just kidding).

And I don't remember right off the bat what changed in me, but whatever did it did it for a reason. The problem now is I gotta find out what that reason is.

Are you thinking about religion, BB? If you are that's great, cause time on Earth's running out.

Flappycat

I actually think it's possible that I'm too powerfully "spiritual" for such restrictions as religion. To believe in something that is not incarnate is to attempt to force it into the constrictions of the physical world. Something doesn't have to be physically incarnate to have a life for me, and I don't require it to exist if it brings me joy. To ask something to exist in a world which conflicts with it is to compromise it in a way that destroys what it really meant to me or to ask an uncompromising world to compromise for something that only has meaning or purpose to myself. It may be difficult for some here to grasp, but I could only see "religion" as a way of putting something that is meant to remain unfettered into a cage. This may sound odd to some, but please let this be food for thought.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
CAPPA said:
In Response to Bouncing Ball's question

- Religion, my friend, is a fiend, a distraction, and most importantly a lie. There is a great number reasons why I would never be able to consider myself a religious person (humor included).
Arrgh! Why did you have to post something I feel compelled to respond to ?:D

1.) there is no real proof of there being a god (voices in your head do not count)
Agreed, except that the voices in my head do count (for me)

2.) there is/has been no interaction to any such supreme being (throw a ball... won't get it back)
Obviously; one of his demands is that we have faith in his existence. If he brought the ball back, you would Know he was there, and that would defeat the point of living your life.

3.) the trials and tribulations in my life have been overcome by myself and my family not a higher power's help (heard voices, but they were about guns and stuff.. definitely not god)
God put you here to learn; if he stood by your side the whole of your life, and gave you instructions, again, there would be little point in your going through life.

4.) the real world and all it's chaos serves as proof against any such being (asked god for rain, got a hurricane)
Same again. If the world was the Garden of Eden, and nothing ever went wrong, you would never be put in the position of having to make choices, and therefore, by free will, choose to either do an evil deed, or a ggod one.

5.) the evil acts of man that have been unchallenged through out time and still continue, can not possible resemble the works of a higher/all loving/powerful spirit (GOD TOLD me to TAKE A PLANE INTO THE SHINNY BUILDING)
The guy who flew the plane into the building will have a hard time convincing the Lord of his worth (but there again, maybe in his heart the intent was theologically justifiable.)
Besides, dreadful events such as the destruction of the towers gave folks the opportunity to be heroes, and to help one an other. If nothing ever ent wrong, there would never be a way of proving we can be generous.;)

:sarcastic

Cappa's Thoughts[/QUOTE]

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
spookboy0 said:
Are you thinking about religion, BB? If you are that's great, cause time on Earth's running out.
Im always considering the opposite, it's the only way to learn. If you only stick to what you know, you can't change, even if you are chosing the wrong side.
The thing is though, the more I learn about religion and over religious people, the further away from the possibillty of God I go..

If it were about my time running out, even if I do start believing in God I'm very much tempted to keepdenying him, because I just can't believe that God would be so evil to put everybody who denies him will go down. Church is just playing with peoples thoughts way to hard. wich is a shame..

[squirt]Atheist: "How can anyone be so stupid as to believe in God?"[/quote]The believe in God is not stupid, it appears to bring comfort (although it brings me only fear) Following a religion that brings contradictions in your head though is considered.. strange..

ChrisP

Veteran Member
mr.guy said:
Marijuana makes me want to believe in god. It's the only argument he really has locked down, in my eyes.
Certainly a strong argument for a deity. :biglaugh:
I turned away from a personified deity, does that count?

CAPPA

michel said:
Arrgh! Why did you have to post something I feel compelled to respond to ?:D

Agreed, except that the voices in my head do count (for me)
Obviously; one of his demands is that we have faith in his existence. If he brought the ball back, you would Know he was there, and that would defeat the point of living your life.

God put you here to learn; if he stood by your side the whole of your life, and gave you instructions, again, there would be little point in your going through life.

Same again. If the world was the Garden of Eden, and nothing ever went wrong, you would never be put in the position of having to make choices, and therefore, by free will, choose to either do an evil deed, or a ggod one.

The guy who flew the plane into the building will have a hard time convincing the Lord of his worth (but there again, maybe in his heart the intent was theologically justifiable.)
Besides, dreadful events such as the destruction of the towers gave folks the opportunity to be heroes, and to help one an other. If nothing ever ent wrong, there would never be a way of proving we can be generous.;)
I'm glad that you chose to respond to this, and yes some of what you said does make sense, however, there are events in our human history that no loving god/parent would absolutely allow at all costs... the holocaust for one;
But, I ask you;
-the voices in your head are yours.. not his right?
-if we are NOT supposed to see him/know him.. in the physical state, as you said, then why show up 2010 years ago...(yes is son...)?
- defeat the point of living your life? --- I’ll let you explain that more before I answer it

- choices are not equated to good and evil ALL the time my friend, choosing to help an old lady carry her food home is not evil or GOOD it's a unselfish choice
as a human to help another, likewise, choosing not to help, does not make you an evil person.

-well if heroes were made, at the expense of ~3000 lives, don’t you think the people that died should have made that choice…looking at the upside of something, is fine, but more often then not, it actually circumvents the truth and impact of that event

-c’mon you can be generous when something is NOT wrong… u’ever at store and you and someone else go for the same thing, and you decide to give it up?

Anyway, thanks for your response