• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Trinity

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Huh. Most everything concerning the bible is opinion. but there's a HUGE difference between scholarly or considered opinion, and "what I happen to believe." Scholarly opinion, derived from a historical consideration, shows that the canon was a base guideline. It never meant to exclude other writings as not being "inspired" or even "truthful" or "useful." It set a baseline standard for authenticity and authority whose aim was to establish "what could be read in church." Sorry -- that's history.
Eh...don't we encounter arguments claiming an ''apostate'' approach, (therefore wrong), to all sorts of ideas from other groups, all the time, from some main denominations? You may be correct in some official sense, but it sure seems like a lot of people disagree with you.
Or to put it another way, I sure wouldn't know that from interactions that actually take place.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Eh...don't we encounter arguments claiming an ''apostate'' approach, (therefore wrong), to all sorts of ideas from other groups, all the time, from some main denominations? You may be correct in some official sense, but it sure seems like a lot of people disagree with you.
Or to put it another way, I sure wouldn't know that from interactions that actually take place.
It's not a matter of "apostate" or "legitimate." It's a matter of record (given one knows where to look, is interested in looking, and buys into the history given. Not everyone does that, as is evidenced in this thread. Some would say that the Catholic Church "rewrote" the history to suit themselves.). Most of those disagreeing with me are non-historic, non-orthodox adherents who choose to not respect the historic record.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
It's not a matter of "apostate" or "legitimate." It's a matter of record (given one knows where to look, is interested in looking, and buys into the history given. Not everyone does that, as is evidenced in this thread. Some would say that the Catholic Church "rewrote" the history to suit themselves.). Most of those disagreeing with me are non-historic, non-orthodox adherents who choose to not respect the historic record.
Have you heard of Nehemiah Gordon? I'm not going to dismiss proposed or possible ideas simply because they don't fit in with a church's official storyline. That's all I'm saying.

sojourner

Have you heard of Nehemiah Gordon? I'm not going to dismiss proposed or possible ideas simply because they don't fit in with a church's official storyline. That's all I'm saying.
Yeah, but I don't see what he's got to do with the canonization process.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Yeah, but I don't see what he's got to do with the canonization process.
I didn't start reading your other discussion at that point. I would say, the canonization process is only as good as the interpretation of the canon. We've had personal Bibles for ages now, there is no reason people cannot read their own Bibles and figure out what is being stated. Is it helpful to use outside interpretation? Sure, of course. Is it a necessity to the point of a 'no questioning' regard to church interpretation? Nope.

sojourner

I didn't start reading your other discussion at that point. I would say, the canonization process is only as good as the interpretation of the canon. We've had personal Bibles for ages now, there is no reason people cannot read their own Bibles and figure out what is being stated. Is it helpful to use outside interpretation? Sure, of course. Is it a necessity to the point of a 'no questioning' regard to church interpretation? Nope.
It's not a matter of "figuring out what's being stated." It's a matter of relationship. No one of us is the body of Christ. But together, we are the body of Christ. It's the "sense of the community" that really matters. Sure, each individual voice must be heard, but each voice must be part of the chorus of voices. That's why no one has the right to dictate which canon is "correct" or "incorrect." That's why no one has the right to determine who is "legitimate" and who is "false." I'm pushing hard here for the orthodox voice, because so many others are pushing for its illegitimacy. The Trinity is a valid, legitimate, theological construct for God. Others are just as valid, so long as they remain true to the "sense of the community" in conceptual, hermeneutical, and metaphysical continuity.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
It's not a matter of "figuring out what's being stated." It's a matter of relationship. No one of us is the body of Christ. But together, we are the body of Christ. It's the "sense of the community" that really matters. Sure, each individual voice must be heard, but each voice must be part of the chorus of voices. That's why no one has the right to dictate which canon is "correct" or "incorrect." That's why no one has the right to determine who is "legitimate" and who is "false." I'm pushing hard here for the orthodox voice, because so many others are pushing for its illegitimacy. The Trinity is a valid, legitimate, theological construct for God. Others are just as valid, so long as they remain true to the "sense of the community" in conceptual, hermeneutical, and metaphysical continuity.
I don't think anything I present actually contradicts a broad understanding of the trinity doctrine. My main focus in these arguments is proposing that Jesus is deific, period, in Xian tradition. One doesn't have to believe the theology of that, but it's the real Xian traditional belief, imo. There is no real reason for us to be ''arguing''.

sojourner

I don't think anything I present actually contradicts a broad understanding of the trinity doctrine. My main focus in these arguments is proposing that Jesus is deific, period, in Xian tradition. One doesn't have to believe the theology of that, but it's the real Xian traditional belief, imo. There is no real reason for us to be ''arguing''.
That's a fair statement.

Kolibri

Matt was written ca. 80 C.E. Lk/Acts was written ca. 85 C.E

If Mark, Matthew and Luke/Acts were written so late, why did they not include such things as the end of Paul's life and the fulfillment of Jesus prophesy regarding Jerusalem's destruction in 70 C.E.?
In Matthew "to this very day" to me makes this late date implausible, and in Luke's case, again he was said to have 'traced things from the start with accuracy' thru "eyewitnesses and attendants of the message.' Such a late date for the writing would have severely cramped the eyewitnesses available to interview.

I have no issue with the date given for John's writing. However i do take issue with these being normal catalogs instead of being "inspired" (2 Tim 3:16)

sojourner

If Mark, Matthew and Luke/Acts were written so late, why did they not include such things as the end of Paul's life and the fulfillment of Jesus prophesy regarding Jerusalem's destruction in 70 C.E.?
Both Luke/Acts and Matthew were written outside Israel. They may not have known. Why would they contain the end of Paul's life? Paul's life wasn't the object of those gospels.
I have no issue with the date given for John's writing. However i do take issue with these being normal catalogs instead of being "inspired"
I didn't say they weren't "inspired." But when Timothy was written, none of the NT writings was considered scripture.

Kolibri

I didn't say they weren't "inspired." But when Timothy was written, none of the NT writings was considered scripture.

2 Thessalonians 2:15? 1 Corinthians 12:7,10?

"So, then, brothers, stand firm and maintain your hold on the traditions that you were taught, whether it was by a spoken message or by a letter from us."

"But the manifestation of the spirit is given to each one for a beneficial purpose." One of those purposes was for "discernment of inspired expressions." It was one of the "gifts" of the spirit supplied to the congregation while it was still in it's infancy.

moorea944

I am glad that you will answer the questions, even if I have to wait a couple of days. You might find them simple enough to answer quickly.

Remember, you said Jesus is not God, so then, you must then teach that God and Jesus are not interchangeable. So then, make sure you only give one person for each answer.

Who will we bow to, God or Jesus?

Who is the light, God or Jesus?

Through who was everything made, through God or Jesus?

Who is the First and the Last, God or Jesus?

Is God our Savior, or is Jesus our Savior?

Who is our Redeemer, God or Jesus?

Who is the Shepherd, God or Jesus?

Who is our Rock, God or Jesus?

Whose commands are they, God's, or Jesus'?

Who sends the Holy Spirit, God, or Jesus?

Who pours out the Holy Spirit, God, or Jesus?

Great questions though. I"ll explain them.

"Sleeping" in the grave or sleeping in Christ. "Sleeping' is a term used about death and resurrection. Sleeping is used because the dead will awake when Christ returns. The dead are not really sleeping as we sleep at night. The faithful will awake as if in a sleep at the sound of the trumpet. The dead are dead, they cease to exist. Scripture is clear on that.

Ej

I"ll answer some of these, because there seams to be some confusion on some of these issues. We have to remember that God was here first. And now that Jesus has come into the world, God has "given" him all authority on everything. But is still doesnt make him very God. God is working through his son. Jesus has no power of himself. It all comes from the Father.

Who will we bow to, God or Jesus?

We will bow to Jesus. God has manifested Himself into Jesus. Jesus represents his Father. When we bow down to Jesus at his return, we are also bowing in respect to our God who is "in heaven".

Who is the light, God or Jesus?

Both. God is our light. But again, it is now Jesus. But it doesn make Jesus God.

Through who was everything made, through God or Jesus?

God made everything, but with his son in mind. God (Yahweh) is the creator of everything. His spirit is everywhere and keeps us alive. Jesus was not here at creation. He was not born yet. And he did not pre-exist.

Who is the First and the Last, God or Jesus?

Both, but it depends on what they are referring to. But it still doesnt make Jesus God.

Is God our Savior, or is Jesus our Savior?

God is our ultimate saviour, but now he saves through his son. Jesus is also now are saviour too.

Who is our Redeemer, God or Jesus?

Same as above...

Who is the Shepherd, God or Jesus?

Same as above....

Who is our Rock, God or Jesus?

God was Israel's rock and saviour. But again... Jesus is now our rock and saviour too.

Whose commands are they, God's, or Jesus'?

These are God's commandments. Jesus has commandments, but I would say they are of course God's. God is working through Jesus reconciling the world unto Himself. We must always remember that...

Who sends the Holy Spirit, God, or Jesus?

God. The Holy Spirit is apart of God.

Who pours out the Holy Spirit, God, or Jesus?

Again, the Holy Spirit comes from God. The spirit of God is the spirit of God.

Wharton

• human - man/woman
  • not just human - man but with a history of being something else before or after, but not during being human.
Jesus was a man, his human life was of equivalent value to Adam prior to his rebellion. Jesus however had a history of being Jehovah's chief spokesman, and by virtue of being Jehovah's closest relative, he would have also been Jehovah's closest friend. In sending his son to be merely human, he sent his very best.

Why would you need to ask? I question your motive.
So Jesus was more than Adam. He had a spirit past. Adam did not. Not equal, even if he had angelic amnesia. Sorry. Your ransom has failed.

moorea944

So Jesus was more than Adam. He had a spirit past. Adam did not. Not equal, even if he had angelic amnesia. Sorry. Your ransom has failed.
What do you mean, Jesus had a spirit past. Are you talking about pre-existance? Bible doesnt say that. He was born. David even knew that he would come from him too. No spirit past was told to David, or Isaiah, or anyone else. Scripture tells us that Christ was born like us, same nature, but with God as his Father. So he was different in that way. But he was just like his brethren. God was working "through" His son. He had to be like us, he also had to be the son of man and the son of God.

Wharton

What do you mean, Jesus had a spirit past. Are you talking about pre-existance? Bible doesnt say that. He was born. David even knew that he would come from him too. No spirit past was told to David, or Isaiah, or anyone else. Scripture tells us that Christ was born like us, same nature, but with God as his Father. So he was different in that way. But he was just like his brethren. God was working "through" His son. He had to be like us, he also had to be the son of man and the son of God.
I don't believe that. I was responding to someone who does believe that. Sorry if I confused you.

Kolibri

John 3:13; 6:38, 62; 8:23, 42, 58, all quote Jesus speaking about a prehuman heavenly existence.
And yet while he was here, he was not angelic. He was fully flesh and blood, made into the exact likeness of men without the sin. (John 1:18; Romans 8:3)
Thus when he died, his body with it's blood, was sacrificed in our behalf. His body with it's blood was the exact equivalent in worth as Adam's prior to his deliberate sin.
Jesus sacrificed his life as a human in our behalf.

Last edited:

Wharton

John 3:13; 6:38, 62; 8:23, 42, 58, all quote Jesus speaking about a prehuman heavenly existence.
And yet while he was here, he was not angelic. He was fully flesh and blood, made into the exact likeness of men without the sin. (John 1:18; Romans 8:3)
Thus when he died, his body with it's blood, was sacrificed in our behalf. His body with it's blood was the exact equivalent in worth as Adam's prior to his deliberate sin.
Jesus sacrificed his life as a human in our behalf.
Michael, the transformer (Optimus Prime??), could never be an exact equivalent to Adam. Adam wasn't a Transformer

Kolibri

. Adam wasn't a Transformer
Neither was Jesus. Unlike angels that can materialize and dematerialize human bodies, Jesus became fully human. The only way he could return to heavenly life was to literally die, and to be restored to life as a spirit. (Philippians 2:7,8; Acts 2:32)

Wharton

Neither was Jesus. Unlike angels that can materialize and dematerialize human bodies, Jesus became fully human. The only way he could return to heavenly life was to literally die, and to be restored to life as a spirit. (Philippians 2:7,8; Acts 2:32)
Yeah, he was. Angel to human to angel. Transfomer, more than meets the eyes.