• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Tomb of Jesus

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I'd like to ask for some specific information regarding the Talpiot Tomb. For those who are not familiar, it is a tomb that has an ossuary for "Yeshua bar Yosef" (Jesus son of Joseph) as well as for others in Jesus' family.

I've been discussing this tomb with some friends, and some strange claims have been made. For example, does anyone have any documentation regarding the ossuary not haveing any bones in it?

And a biggie: is there a consensus among archaeolgoists whether this tomb is / is not / or simply may possibly be the tomb of Jesus? Does anyone have the names of archaeologists who accept it as Jesus' tomb?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'd like to ask for some specific information regarding the Talpiot Tomb. For those who are not familiar, it is a tomb that has an ossuary for "Yeshua bar Yosef" (Jesus son of Joseph) as well as for others in Jesus' family.

I've been discussing this tomb with some friends, and some strange claims have been made. For example, does anyone have any documentation regarding the ossuary not haveing any bones in it?

And a biggie: is there a consensus among archaeolgoists whether this tomb is / is not / or simply may possibly be the tomb of Jesus? Does anyone have the names of archaeologists who accept it as Jesus' tomb?
Both of the names Yeshua and Yosef were very common in those days. It would not be surprising if there were quite a few examples over the time period that those bones are dated too. If Jesus was real the odds are most likely that he would have been thrown into a mass grave. As part of the punishment of Roman Crucifixion people were almost always left up for quite some time and eventually just put in a mass grave with other such "law breakers".

I do not see those bones as evidence for or against Jesus. To me there are too many other explanations and that makes them neutral.

IndigoChild5559

Both of the names Yeshua and Yosef were very common in those days. It would not be surprising if there were quite a few examples over the time period that those bones are dated too. If Jesus was real the odds are most likely that he would have been thrown into a mass grave. As part of the punishment of Roman Crucifixion people were almost always left up for quite some time and eventually just put in a mass grave with other such "law breakers".

I do not see those bones as evidence for or against Jesus. To me there are too many other explanations and that makes them neutral.
But not only the names of Jesus and Joseph mentioned in the tomb. there is also Mary, and Mariamene (a name for Mary Magdelene used int he gospel of Philip) Now you have to to look at the statistical analysis for FOUR names.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
But not only the names of Jesus and Joseph mentioned in the tomb. there is also Mary, and Mariamene (a name for Mary Magdelene used int he gospel of Philip) Now you have to to look at the statistical analysis for FOUR names.
And some of that, such as the Mary Magddelene is thought to be speculation. In fact even the interpretation of Jesus's name itself is highly disputed. That along with a time period of 600 years that the ossuary could have been placed there makes the case rather weak:

Talpiot Tomb - Wikipedia

IndigoChild5559

This is a really a big what if there were bones found and the DNA study returned very unusual results. If these bones were measured and had human form but really strange DNA could it be argued they were only part human. I actually suspect the authorities would not let any tests to be permitted or it would be delayed indefinitely if it was proven to be the bones of Jesus. I recall as a boy people waiting for the secret letter containing a prophesy that the children of Fatima was said to receive from the Blessed Mother. The letter was supposed to be opened to the public in 1960.That year came and went but the Pope decided not to announce what was written in that letter.
DNA that is only part human? No offense, but you are really going to have to connect me to a reputable stie to document this.

Wandering Monk

IIRC, these were very common names in First Century Jewish families. Even if these are authentic, it doesn't follow that this is the NT Jesus.

IndigoChild5559

My post is a fantasy, a 'what if' that suggests the bones of Jesus should be different if he was God and man at the same time. Christians believe Jesus ascended into heaven and probably left no body or bones behind. JWs believe that only the Spirit of the Christ appeared after his burial. IndigoChild5559, ...
Look, I think the whole Jesus is god thing is a bunch of balogne. But since you ask "is it possible that an individual 'incarnate of the Holy Spirit...' might have a different type of DNA than the average human?" my answer has to be no. DNA has to be inherited from the father (as well as the mother) and spirits have no DNA. But honestly, this whole discussion is just nonsense.

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist

I even don´t take the history of Jesus literally.

IMO we are dealing with an "astro-theological" story which can be found in several other cultures of a "dying and rising god" in where a certain celestial human named star constellation descend (die) on a specific annual season and rise ascend/rise/resurrect again over the horizon.

The specific religious "womb"-term derive from the mythical telling of a creation from the "cosmic womb or Egg" in where a celestial "son" is born - from the very center of the Milky Way galaxy which is represented by a Goddess (Mary/Magdalena) in several ancient cultures.

Even the "hanging in a tree" story is a common mythical description that deals with the mythical telling of the "tree of Life and Death" in the cosmological creation. (In Norse Mythology it concerns Odin)

With other words: The Jesus history can IMO only be logically and naturally understod by including astronomical scenarios and motions and by including the mythical symbolism which concern celestial and cosmological motions.

Last edited:

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
Look, I think the whole Jesus is god thing is a bunch of balogne. But since you ask "is it possible that an individual 'incarnate of the Holy Spirit...' might have a different type of DNA than the average human?" my answer has to be no. DNA has to be inherited from the father (as well as the mother) and spirits have no DNA. But honestly, this whole discussion is just nonsense.
This is your OP and your OP brings into discussion the remains of Jews whose names are associated with the Christian movement....What you consider "nonsense" I believe could be essential evidence that would prove the carpenter's son had a human father. It could prove or disprove Joseph( if Joseph's bones are found) to be the natural father. In the future,perhaps, science may be able to gain even more evidence from samples. The bigger problem is proving any bones found to be those of Jesus. If I find any sites that provide more information on your search I will share...(a Roman father??)

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The Tomb of Jesus

HISTORY
The Little-Known Legend of Jesus in Japan

A mountain hamlet in northern Japan claims Jesus Christ was buried there
Franz Lidz,January 2013
Rising-Son-Japan-Jesus-631.jpg

The burial ground to what some claim is Jesus' final resting place. Jensen Walker / Getty Images
On the flat top of a steep hill in a distant corner of northern Japan lies the tomb of an itinerant shepherd who, two millennia ago, settled down there to grow garlic. He fell in love with a farmer’s daughter named Miyuko, fathered three kids and died at the ripe old age of 106. In the mountain hamlet of Shingo, he’s remembered by the name Daitenku Taro Jurai. The rest of the world knows him as Jesus Christ.
(to read the full article please access):
The Little-Known Legend of Jesus in Japan | History| Smithsonian Magazine
What would Pauline-Christianity people of 32000+ Christianity denominations say (including the yester time JWs and Mormons) and their supportive Bahaism people about Jesus, and the reactionary movements of the former, grown in the Renaissance period some or most of them identify themselves as "nones" or the (Western) Atheism people, and the like, in connection with this tomb, please?
I think it must be of interest for all of them, please. They can however disagree with the above if it confuses them with good reasons and can come out with their plans supported by undeniable "claims" and "reasons". There is no compulsion whatsoever though. Right?

Regards

Rising-Son-Japan-Jesus-2.jpg

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The Tomb of Jesus

A New Study Suggests That Jesus’s Tomb Is 700 Years Older Than Previously Thought
The research also lends support to the belief that the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem is the final resting place of Jesus.

Sarah Cascone, November 29, 2017

GettyImages-656134654-1024x683.jpg

The renovated Tomb where Jesus is thought to be buried, at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in the Old City of Jerusalem. Photo courtesy of Thomas Coex/AFP/Getty Images.
New scientific testing adds credence to the long-held belief that the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem is the final resting place of Jesus Christ. But the tomb is about 700 years older than previously thought, built in the year 300, according to research from the National Technical University of Athens.

A New Study Suggests That Jesus's Tomb Is 700 Years Older Than Previously Thought | Artnet News

Regards