• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Teleonomic Worldview of Atheism vs. The Teleological Worldview of Theism

leibowde84

Veteran Member
My first-person perspective of my own subjectivity reveals that I am driven by a purpose, namely, to seek the good.

"Goodness is that which all things desire." - St. Thomas Aquinas
But, subjective experience is often unreliable and flawed in this regard due to our overwhelming desire for purpose. So, how can you be sure?

Gambit

"Isn't it enough to see that the garden is beautiful without believing there are fairies at the bottom of it, too?" - Douglas Adams.

Beauty, like the good, is a transcendental. As such, it cannot be detected by science.

Gambit

That seems like quite the leap. What is it about your "first-person perspective of your own subjectivity" that leads to this conclusion?

A desire is present within me to seek the good.

On what grounds do you claim that this purpose is "real" in a sense that's unavailable to atheists?

I never argued that it was unavailable to atheists. But it would appear that atheists believe it is only an apparent purpose (teleonomic), not a real purpose (teleological). Because they believe that it can be explained by appealing only to blind mechanisms.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Because on the teleonomic view of the world (which you embrace by your own admission), anything that appears to be purposeful or the result of creative intelligence must ultimately be deemed illusory. That would also apply to your behavior. (Your behavior may appear to look purposeful or the result of creative intelligence. But, if we accept the teleonomic view, then we must deem that appearance to be purely illusory.)

Well, that does not explain how I can deny my intelligence, if any. My denial would also be illusory, wouldn't it?

So, I am free to rely on my intelligence as much as I am free to deny it. The result would be the same. The product of ultimately blind mechanisms or naturally selected algorithms. Therefore, your suggestion is inherently contradictory.

But as long as my intelligence seems to help me to expose your fallacies, I prefer to accept it. Rather than deny it, indipendently from it being the result of some blind machinery :)

Ciao

- viole

Gambit

But, subjective experience is often unreliable and flawed in this regard due to our overwhelming desire for purpose. So, how can you be sure?

In epistemology, knowledge has been defined as justified belief. As such, we can never have absolute certitude. The only question here is whether my belief can be rationally justify. I believe it can for reasons already stated. However, If you disagree, then you will have to accept the logical implications of that disagreement, namely, you must accept that your creativity and intelligence is completely illusory.

Gambit

That sounds like an argument from ignorance.

Nonsense! That I am acting to a real purpose (as opposed to an apparent purpose) is based on the evidence accorded to me by my first-person perspective of my own subjectivity. To deny that would be to deny my own creativity and intelligence.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
A desire is present within me to seek the good.

I never argued that it was unavailable to atheists. But it would appear that atheists believe it is only an apparent purpose (teleonomic), not a real purpose (teleological). Because they believe that it can be explained by appealing only to blind mechanisms.
How is motivation not a "real" purpose? Atheists feel motivation just like theists, so if this is a "real" (i.e. actual) purpose for you, why isn't it one for them?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Nonsense! That I am acting to a real purpose (as opposed to an apparent purpose) is based on the evidence accorded to me by my first-person perspective of my own subjectivity. To deny that would be to deny my own creativity and intelligence.
Yet you claim that without god being stuffed in there somewhere, it is all for naught, right?
What you have not done, regardless of how much you jump up and down screaming you have, is shown that claim to be true.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

I am not sure what difference there is between real purpose and apparent purpose. It smells like question begging.

Suppose my decisions are driven by blind naturalistic processes. Suppose now I am hungry and decide to get a nice pizza for dinner, so that I am not hungry anymore.

Is my decision taken towards a real or an apparent purpose?

Ciao

- viole

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
I substantiated my claims in the original post of this thread by furnishing appropriate documentation. To date, I have yet to see you make anything resembling a counter to those claims.

Really? So why did you assert what you think the atheist world view is?
You are incorrect on that, for one. Evidence can be found in the people on this very forum.
You second up to it with the viewpoint you seem to subscribe to, using emphases as though to prove it's truth.

You didn't substantiate anything.
Giving definitions for the terms you are asserting as true is not substantiation.

Last edited:

McBell

Beauty, like the good, is a transcendental. As such, it cannot be detected by science.
Ah, so spiritual is synonymous with subjective..?

You know what, based upon the "definitions" given here on RF for the word spiritual, that makes sense.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
question begging is not what I think it smells like....

Yes, i see what you mean ;)

However, it is question begging because it arbitrarily declares that naturalists must believe only in the illusion of the "real thing", without evidence that there is such a thing as the "real thing". It makes no sense to talk of illusions of X without first independently deducing the existence of X. So, the best it can be said, is that naturalists believe only in the illusion of what theists believe, for instance in a metaphysical intelligence, which could very well be just a figment of the pious imagination.

Ergo, that line of arguments leads to naturalists holding an incoherent position, under the unproven assumption that naturalism is wrong (the "real thing" exists). And that is circular.

Which is not surprising, considering that all so-called logical arguments for the existence of God suffer from the same exact logical disease.

Ciao

- viole

McBell

Yes, i see what you mean ;)

However, it is question begging because it arbitrarily declares that naturalists must believe only in the illusion of the "real thing", without evidence that there is such a thing as the "real thing". It makes no sense to talk of illusions of X without first independently deducing the existence of X. So, the best it can be said, is that naturalists believe only in the illusion of what theists believe, for instance in a metaphysical intelligence, which could very well be just a figment of the pious imagination.

Ergo, that line of arguments leads to naturalists holding an incoherent position, under the unproven assumption that naturalism is wrong (the "real thing" exists). And that is circular.

Which is not surprising, considering that all so-called logical arguments for the existence of God suffer from the same exact logical disease.

Ciao

- viole
Oh, don't get me wrong.
I do not disagree with the use of "question begging" to describe the post.
I disagree with the use of "question begging" to describe the smell said post is emanating.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Oh, don't get me wrong.
I do not disagree with the use of "question begging" to describe the post.
I disagree with the use of "question begging" to describe the smell said post is emanating.

Yeah, I got that :)

I made a full reply to you, because the original poster seems to be missing in action. Sorry.

Ciao

- viole