• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Shroud of Turin

bippy123

And also note Lombatti's false claim that these forty (plus) copies of the Shroud were "so-called burial cloths of Jesus." They would only be that if they all were claimed to be the original, but as we shall see below, most (if not all) of them were only claimed to be copies of the original Shroud of Turin (as it was later called).
Moreover, note Lombatti's fallacious reasoning that because there are forty known copies of the Shroud (actually there are many more than that, which I didn't realise - see below), therefore the original they were all copied from, must itself be "a medieval fake." But if that were the case, then the "dozens of the surviving replicas of the" Mona Lisa, would mean the original Mona Lisa would also have to be a fake!:

There is nothing new in this claim by Lombatti that there are many copies of the Shroud. In 2004 a paper by a Daniel Duque Torres, who had made a special study of Shroud copies, was published in the British Society of the Turin Shroud Newsletter:
"There are copies [of the Shroud of Turin] the same size as the original, some very small ones (just 10 cm long), others with the spear and nail wounds in different positions, some with a crown of thorns and others without it, some from the same workshop and others absolutely anonymous. Some have texts written on (in Latin, French, Spanish and Italian) etc, ... [in] the eighteenth century ... a copy was made without permission of the House of Savoy, painted from another copy that had been given to Charles II, king of Spain. Another copy was made from the second one. The Savoy family encouraged the tradition to such an extent that Princess Francisca Maria Apollonia spent long periods of her leisure time painting copies of the Shroud that were then distributed according to specific requests or simple friendship. ... many copies made in the sixteenth century and the first half of the seventeenth were given to the royal family and nobility of Spain ... Many of the copies from this time were produced in Chambéry, where the original was kept until 1578. However, in the second half of the seventeenth century and all through the eighteenth, most copies stayed in Italy ... copies were made for the other side of the Atlantic (Argentina and Mexico) ... There are earlier copies in France, although most probably based on the Besançon shroud. ... When we know the date of a copy we can sometimes attribute it to a specific painter or even relate it to another copy which has since been lost. Such is the case of the copy kept in Pamplona, Spain, painted in 1571. This copy was only discovered recently and we can confidently state that it is the "twin" of the copy in Alcoy (Alicante), Spain, also painted in 1571. ... A similar relationship can be established for the famous Lierre (Belgium) copy, painted in 1516, once attributed to Durero but more probably the work of Bernard van Orley, and the copy held today by the National Museum of Ancient Art in Xábregas, Lisbon (Portugal), painted in the early sixteenth century. The Emperor Maximilian of Austria had requested both. There are documents which suggest that the Lierre copy was ordered by Margarita of Austria, Duchess of Savoy, when she moved the court from Malinas to Brussels ... There are two things that can be seen on Shroud copies – the texts, informing us of where and when it was made or reminding us of what the original is, and the image painted onto the cloth. ... There are various ways that this is explained on the copies, either telling people what it is or simply confirming the authenticity of the copy. Sentences such as ... the most common "Extractum ex originali", on numerous copies dating from the 17th century, when more copies were made than in any other century. Most copies were touched to the original, excepting of course those made fraudulently from other copies without the owner's permission. In this way a secondary relic "ad tactum" was created. This is evident from the cloth of many copies, on which a sentence to the effect of "touched to the original" was written in different languages ... If a date is given on the copy, it is usually just the year, although sometimes we can find the day and month, even the date when the copy was touched to the original. ... Given that the painters in question tried unsuccessfully to recreate the "impossible" Shroud image as realistically as they could, the result has never really been valued from an artistic point of view ... the aim was not so much to paint a beautiful image as to recall the original with pious intentions. One notable exception to this is the copy in the Descalzas Reales (Madrid, Spain, unknown date), painted with clearly artistic intentions. ... Fantino, Conti, Bocciardo, Princess Francisca María Apollonia and a priest at the church of Chambéry were all painters who at one time or another decided to copy the object that had caught their attention and yet which turned out to be so difficult to copy exactly ... Not taking into account the 19th and 20th centuries, and bearing in mind that there are another 40 copies known to have been made but never found ... we can state that 130 copies are known to have been produced. This number will no doubt keep growing as new copies come to light." ("Shroud Copies," Daniel Duque Torres, British Society for the Turin Shroud Newsletter, No. 59, June 2004).

As can be seen above, many (if not most) of these copies of the Shroud state on them that that they are copies of the Shroud, including who was the artist, the date they were copied, and for whom they were copied. If Lombatti has included in his "at least 40" copies of the Shroud any of these which state they are copies of the Shroud, then again he is misleading his readers by giving the impression that these were all independent originals in competition with the Shroud.

One of the most famous copies of the Shroud which was destroyed in the French Revolution was the Besançon shroud. Another famous copy that has survived is the Lier shroud of 1516. None of these `shrouds' claimed to be "burial cloths of Jesus," they all post-date the undisputed c.1355 date of the Shroud, are all grossly inferior to the Shroud and all lack the Shroud's unique major features (e.g. photographic negativity, three-dimensional, extreme superficiality, lack of directionality, etc). If Lombatti did not clearly point out to his readers in his journal article (see below) the uniqueness of the Shroud of Turin compared to these forty copies of it (and going by his media statement he didn't), then he would have misled his readers (if not himself).

I wont post anymore of the article because you guys get the picture, and this is why an elementary googling of a few links from some pseudo skeptical cracker jack box atheist sites wont give you the full info on the shroud. You need to dig into the full picture to see why the shroud of Turin is one of the most scientifically studied objects of our time.

I think I made the case for Lombatti having outbackitis and not giving the full picture of the shroud and only painting a limited view with cherry picked info because of his atheistic worldview.

At Least Agnostic art historian Thomas De Wessellow was honest in folliwng the evidence and that is why he believes that the shroud of turin is the authentic burial shroud of the historic Jesus but wouldnt go further, and just like agnostic Chemist Ray rogers would try (and fail )to account for a naturalistic explanation of how that image with all of its amazing characteristics got onto the shroud.

Folks I beg you to visit Stephen Jones Blog as he has a massive amount of great research on the shroud going way back . Im a small fry compared to him in this area.

I will proceed next to give your info on the shroud. I will try to find Physicist John Jackson's light raking tests to find the exact match and unique folding patterns of the shroud and the mandylion (or image of eddessa).

I know im bombarding you guys with info but like I said, the shroud is meant for curious people, seekers and agnostics. Its not meant for atheists cause they have made up their mind allready and I dont want to confuse them with evidence, facts and scienctific research as that might cause them to bust a blood vessel lol.

outhouse

Atheistically
This is funny

Why the Shroud of Turin is Fake

Why the Shroud of Turin is Fake

know what you're thinking: "That's just the way his body and arms were positioned when he was laid in his tomb."

I think not.

And you can perform your own little experiment to demonstrate why not.

Lie on your back on a hard surface (such as the floor) as the figure is in the image, and just try to cover your privates with your hands. I am a person of average proportions and I had to stretch my arms with some effort to be able to barely cover them. Yet the figure in the shroud image seems to be accomplishing this with relaxed ease. The arms don't appear to be stretched out at all.

Now just relax your arms to the floor, like a corpse, and see where your relaxed hands cross on your body. For me, they don't cross at all. My fingertips barely cross around my navel - well above the private area. To be able to cross them at all in this position, I have to lift my arms somewhat off the floor, and they still to not reach the private area with any degree of relaxation. And no one is more relaxed than a corpse.

outhouse

Atheistically
It's obviously easier to make a fake shroud than a real one.

Its why you can take a body and lay a sheet over it for a week or longer, and no similar mark will be left. When there are no natural explanations for it, like many theist, magic is invoked, claiming radiation made it LOL ha ha ha ha.

AmbiguousGuy

So you claimed that there was a man named fredicus that was curcified in the same manner as Jesus.

Yep. It's an actual historical fact.

So you cant produce this evidence from anywhere and now your dodging.

What evidence? What are you talking about? You want evidence of Fredicus? If that's what you want, why not just ask? All you've talked about so far is some kind of 'link to the man' ... which seems very weird to me.

another case of atheists being allergic to evidence and the facts and then producing more lies.

Who is this 'atheist' you keep talking about? Why do you keep bringing up atheists?

The vaunted intellect, rationality , logic and honesty of atheism is being well dsiplayed on this thread, and this was one of the main reasons I started posting here.

Well I'm certainly not an atheist, but thanks for recognizing my intellect, rationality, logic and honesty. Lots of debaters get so hostile that they miss that.

As I said before the shroud is for honest seekers and agnostics.

The shroud is a relic concocted by medieval relic-concocters. I'm pretty sure of it, as are most rational, logical and honest investigators.

bippy123

Yep. It's an actual historical fact.

What evidence? What are you talking about? You want evidence of Fredicus? If that's what you want, why not just ask? All you've talked about so far is some kind of 'link to the man' ... which seems very weird to me.

Who is this 'atheist' you keep talking about? Why do you keep bringing up atheists?

Well I'm certainly not an atheist, but thanks for recognizing my intellect, rationality, logic and honesty. Lots of debaters get so hostile that they miss that.

The shroud is a relic concocted by medieval relic-concocters. I'm pretty sure of it, as are most rational, logical and honest investigators.

Ok so we both know that your fredicus info is bs?

And yes I do recognize your intellectuality.

You have claimed that the shroud is a reolic concocted by medieval Relic-Concocter, but you have yet to give any evidence behind it, and all of the evidence I have given points to it being much much older then the medieval times and you have given absolutely nothing to show it was a medieval forgery.

You have formed your opinion of the shroud based on what? A lack of being informed about it? Missing all of my posts that show it was here way before medieval times?
Im trying to understand your reasoning as to why you came to the conclusion that you hold cause I cant see the rationality behind it.

Plus I have shown that a medieval forgerer wouldnt need to go through things like going to jerusalem, getting travertine aragonite, sprinkling it in tiny amounts that people couldnt even see to fool anyone in the medieval period. In fact the forgerer had to be a time traveler to know that we would one day be able to detect and specifically name this rare form of limestone or the pollen found on the shroud.

Its completely irrational to believe this.

If I was wrong about your worldview, then I appologize from the bottom of my heart, but it seems to me like your taking the same road they have taken on the shroud, one of forming an opinion thats both irrational and ignorant of the evidences presented so far.

And on top of that you havent addressed the points and evidences I have brought up or debunked them , but u still formed your opinion anyway. Is this real truth seeking.

How about this man. Try leaving your worldview aside (whatever it is) and just examine my posts as an honest truth seeker and see where it leads you, but to say that the shroud is a medieval forgery despite all the evidence that points to it not being one is totally irrational and illogical.

But if thats your opinion I can respect that, as every person has a right to believe what they want.

bippy123

here is another great post by Stephen Jones on the image of eddessa and the shroud and I believe it contains information on John Jacksons light raking research into the folding patterns of the shroud.

Great information for anyone willing to follow the evidence honestly as a seeker or agnostic. If youve allready dogmatically made up your mind and dont want to be bothered by facts or evidences just ignore it :)

The Shroud of Turin: Tetradiplon and the Shroud of Turin

philbo

High Priest of Cynicism
Philbo do you usually bring up old and sebunked information without researching the other side to make sure it hasn't been debunked allready.
er, no. I'm not aware that I've done that anywhere.

I've not done any in-depth research on the Turin Shroud at all: there really doesn't seem to be any value to be gained from sifting through reams of hyperbolic ******** of the kind both sides have thrown out: you certainly haven't helped your cause by banging on about "historical facts" which demonstrably aren't.

What I will say is that it doesn't look to be a shroud - the image was not formed from being draped over a dead body: the geometry is all wrong. Exactly how the image was made is probably independent of who/when/where - answering the one question does not answer the others.

I think it's a shame there's so much being claimed for the thing which will never be provable - whatever its provenance, there's a huge amount that is seriously cool about the Shroud. The problem for me comes with the leap of faith that links it to Jesus, and that is a leap of faith, not any kind of historical fact.

AmbiguousGuy

Ok so we both know that your fredicus info is bs?
Well, no moreso than your Jesus info. Fredicus was my ancestor. His story (of being crucified precisely as Jesus was crucified and therefore being another claimant to the Shroud) has been passed down to us orally. Of course, since you have studied these things, you realize that to a biblical scholar 'oral tradition' is as reliable or even more reliable than written material, so Fredicus is at least as historical as Jesus.

You have claimed that the shroud is a reolic concocted by medieval Relic-Concocter, but you have yet to give any evidence behind it....
That's because I'm not interested in debating the Shroud of Turin. I only expressed my opinion. Think again of the vampires. I might express my opinion that vampires are most probably fictional beings, yet have no interest in engaging the debate over whether vampires are real or whether fictional.

and all of the evidence I have given points to it being much much older then the medieval times and you have given absolutely nothing to show it was a medieval forgery.
I've hardly read your evidence, only skimming over it as I go.

You have formed your opinion of the shroud based on what? A lack of being informed about it?
Well, you might say that. I'm as uninformed of the Shroud as I am uninformed about the finer arguments in favor of vampires. In both cases, the obvious conclusion is that they aren't real, so I feel no need to dig into the details of either. As for the Shroud, before the 1988 tests, I was sure that the results would show it to be of medieval origin, and my certainty was confirmed by the announcement of results. I also knew that the tests wouldn't matter to true believers -- that they would nag and nag and try to undermine those results in any possible way. It's just how the faithful mind works.

So none of this seems out of order to me. My opinion remains intact. Just so you'll know, my main reason for discounting the Shroud is my knowledge of human nature and the fact that relic-making was big business during medieval times. The most reasonable conclusion is that the Shroud was made by one of those businessmen.

If I was wrong about your worldview, then I appologize from the bottom of my heart, but it seems to me like your taking the same road they have taken on the shroud, one of forming an opinion thats both irrational and ignorant of the evidences presented so far.
Sure. The other guy's opinion often seems like that to us.

And on top of that you havent addressed the points and evidences I have brought up or debunked them , but u still formed your opinion anyway. Is this real truth seeking.
Think about the vampires. Do you address and debunk every point presented by the vampire believers? I don't. Not unless I'm particularly bored.

How about this man. Try leaving your worldview aside (whatever it is) and just examine my posts as an honest truth seeker and see where it leads you, but to say that the shroud is a medieval forgery despite all the evidence that points to it not being one is totally irrational and illogical.
I have examined your mindset. You were already seeming to me like a true believer, but when you insisted that it's an 'historical fact' that no one but Jesus was ever crucified as he was... well, I'm afraid you lost me completely. I like your passion, but I don't even believe in facts, much less historical facts, much less that bippy123 has magically examined every crucifixion in the history of human life and can say there was never another one like that of Jesus.

Last edited:

bippy123

Ok ambiguous, so the answer is you don't have any evidence at all for fredicus. Why not say that from the beginning instead of doing an outhouse on us. Notice how instead of looking through the evidence of the shroud (both historic and scientific) you and the other pseudo skeptics have resorted to ridicule and have witted answers simply because you can't accept that the evidences for authenticity is very strong.

Another goal of mine was accomplished here and that was to expose you and the atheists here not as truth seekers who are irrational, illogical and dishonest, and I believe I have done that .

I'm glad that agnostic75 started this thread here because if he didnt I never would have popped in. Special thanks to him, and I hope that this information has peeked his and the other truth seekers curiousity.

bippy123

er, no. I'm not aware that I've done that anywhere.

I've not done any in-depth research on the Turin Shroud at all: there really doesn't seem to be any value to be gained from sifting through reams of hyperbolic ******** of the kind both sides have thrown out: you certainly haven't helped your cause by banging on about "historical facts" which demonstrably aren't.

What I will say is that it doesn't look to be a shroud - the image was not formed from being draped over a dead body: the geometry is all wrong. Exactly how the image was made is probably independent of who/when/where - answering the one question does not answer the others.

I think it's a shame there's so much being claimed for the thing which will never be provable - whatever its provenance, there's a huge amount that is seriously cool about the Shroud. The problem for me comes with the leap of faith that links it to Jesus, and that is a leap of faith, not any kind of historical fact.

Congrats Phil. You have shown us all that as an atheist you have great PURE BLIND FAITH. You have formed an opinion based on nothing but emotional ignorance and barely any research at all . The agnostics and other truth seekers here can now put you in the same category as the west borough church :D.

You made the assertion that it would take a huge leap of faith to connect it to Jesus, and this is from your total lack of knowledge and your ignorance of the evidence (historic and scientific). Outhouse would be very proud of you.

My mission here is accomplished as I have exposes the pseudo skeptics not as rational, reasonable and logically people , but as people that have an emotional bias in the shroud who would not allow themselves to look at evidence .

But there is at least one atheist here that is probably having some honest doubts about his position on the shroud and that is Mestemia because he was the smartest atheist out of the bunch. You ask why? Because he hasn't posted since on this thread since the first few pages. In his mind , its probably smarter y
To either ignore then shroud or do more research on the shroud instead of coming off as an emotionally blind biased person against it.

Special thanks also to Phil, ambiguous and outhouse for showing me as a theist how not to research something and how to be dishonest with yourselves :D

God bless

AmbiguousGuy

Ok ambiguous, so the answer is you don't have any evidence at all for fredicus.

Right. No more and no less than you have for Jesus.

I mean, the Jesus story is based on nothing more than is the Fredicus story.

Notice how instead of looking through the evidence of the shroud (both historic and scientific) you and the other pseudo skeptics have resorted to ridicule and have witted answers simply because you can't accept that the evidences for authenticity is very strong.

Yeah. Just like I'd do if the subject were "Are Vampires Real?"

Unless the pro-vampire debater had some killer new evidence and was able to argue it well, I'd be unable to accept that the evidence for authenticity was strong and so I might amuse myself with some wit in my responses.

Why should I take the Shroud any more seriously than I take vampires? That's the question which keeps me up at night.

Another goal of mine was accomplished here and that was to expose you and the atheists here not as truth seekers who are irrational, illogical and dishonest, and I believe I have done that.

Sure. You've stipped us naked for all to see, bippy123.

Good luck with your mission of speading the Shroud Truth.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
The burden is on those who claim the shroud is authentic to prove their case, not on skeptics to prove it's a fake.

And thus far they have failed to make a case that would convince someone outside the choir.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Another goal of mine was accomplished here and that was to expose you and the atheists here not as truth seekers who are irrational, illogical and dishonest, and I believe I have done that .

huh?
I suspect you worded this rather poorly.

bippy123

huh?
I suspect you worded this rather poorly.
Correct there was a slight error in wording, but you know what I mean about the wording and deep inside your heart you know what I'm talking about with the shroud. Maybe you also have a relative named fredicus also that you can share with us since ambiguous couldn't bring anything good to the table against the shroud.

I can't for the life of me understand why any atheist would even go near the shroud . Look at how it exposed them for what they truly are. Dogmatic atheistic religious believers who have been reduces to ignoring the evidence and denying, dodging and rediculing it.

Maybe one day when your more open minded and rational you will be able to address the points I made. Right now your case of outhouseitis looks like its in full bloom.

Until then , just stay away from the shroud if it makes you uncomfortable, no reason to have doubts about your atheism since it is obvious that you are sogmatically married to it to the point where you have thrown rationality and sound argumentation out the door.

Good day gentlemen , and you too outhouse :D

bippy123

And thus far they have failed to make a case that would convince someone outside the choir.

Mestemia, great one line answer that is backed up with no evidence against the shroud whatsoever. The analytical mind if the new atheist at work.
Thank God Antony flew was an honest atheist. Maybe that's why he converted away from atheism. He was an honest man and a very reasonable man, you should try that approach sometime my friend.