• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Seventh Seal

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Just rewatched the 1957 Swedish film, The Seventh Seal. The plot is this: a knight is greeted by death (grim reaper). The knight convinces death to play a game of chess with him, with his life on the line. Death agrees to this reprieve.
It is a philosophical film in which a major theme is the existence (or non existence) of god. The characters have a few philosophical discussions on this subject throughout the film. I figured someone on RF might enjoy a film with such a topic, just as I did.
The whole length movie is free on YouTube.
Below are some quotations from the movie that provoked my thought.

Antonius Block
: Is it so terribly inconceivable to comprehend God with one's senses? Why does he hide in a cloud of half-promises and unseen miracles? How can we believe in the faithful when we lack faith? What will happen to us who want to believe, but can not? What about those who neither want to nor can believe? Why can't I kill God in me? Why does He live on in me in a humiliating way - despite my wanting to evict Him from my heart? Why is He, despite all, a mocking reality I can't be rid of?

Antonius Block: I want knowledge! Not faith, not assumptions, but knowledge. I want God to stretch out His hand, uncover His face and speak to me.
Death: But He remains silent.
Antonius Block: I call out to Him in the darkness. But it's as if no one was there.
Death: Perhaps there isn't anyone.
Antonius Block: Then life is a preposterous horror. No man can live faced with Death, knowing everything's nothingness.
Death: Most people think neither of death nor nothingness.
Antonius Block: But one day you stand at the edge of life and face darkness.
Death: That day.
Antonius Block: I understand what you mean.

[watching a young woman get burned at the stake]
Jöns: Who will take care care of that child? Is it the angels or God or Satan or the emptiness? The emptiness, Sire.
Antonius Block: It can't be so!
Jöns: Look at her eyes, my lord. Her poor brain has just made a discovery. Emptiness under the moon.
Antonius Block: No.
Jöns: We stand powerless, our arms hanging at our sides, because we see what she sees, and our terror and hers are the same. That poor little child. I can't stand it, I can't stand it...

Last edited:

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
I did watch the move some time ago and got only 2 points out of it:
1. the templar saw the horrors of war and is now questioning, is there God?
2. no one can escape death