• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Serpent in the Wilderness

Ben Avraham

Numbers 21:9 (JPS) "Then Moses made a copper serpent and mounted it on a standard; and when any one was bitten by a serpent, he would look at the copper serpent and recover." Christians love to read this text and to find in it a reference to Jesus. Christian preconceived notions are the cause of this illusion because, If we focus on that text for the truth, it is right there almost in every line.

1 - And when any one was bitten by a serpent... It means that when any one was moved by the desire to rebel, as rebellion had become the order of the day among the Israelites in the wilderness,

2 - He would look... which means, he would remember.

3 - At the copper serpent which was a reference to the longest and cruelest captivity ever in Egypt...

4 - And recover. Here, "recover" means he would repent from his desire to rebel.

And that was the point for Moses to build the copper serpent in the wilderness.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Numbers 21:9 (JPS) "Then Moses made a copper serpent and mounted it on a standard; and when any one was bitten by a serpent, he would look at the copper serpent and recover." Christians love to read this text and to find in it a reference to Jesus. Christian preconceived notions are the cause of this illusion because, If we focus on that text for the truth, it is right there almost in every line.

1 - And when any one was bitten by a serpent... It means that when any one was moved by the desire to rebel, as rebellion had become the order of the day among the Israelites in the wilderness,

3 - At the copper serpent which was a reference to the longest and cruelest captivity ever in Egypt...

4 - And recover. Here, "recover" means he would repent from his desire to rebel.

Just to point out, since I have no vested interest.

Christian's see the symbol of the copper serpent to represent sin and punishment. The recovery is seen as the recovery from the curse of sin. So Jesus was raised up like the copper serpent for folks to upon/have faith in and recovery from the curse of sin.

Application of symbology has always seemed a bit arbitrary to me when it comes to the Bible. Personally I don't think anyone has a clue. One narrative is as good as the next. You maybe right but you have a obvious agenda. Of course Christians do to. Or it could just be a story that was repeated for generations who's original meaning is lost.

Even today stories are told were any symbolic meaning by the author is lost unless the author is around to explain it.

Of course God, if the assumed author, a lot of folks assume through the holy spirit they directly inspired by to author to understand the symbolic meaning.

"Of course, you'd be inspired to understand the true meaning of the Bible if you look upon Jesus with faith too". Least that's what I'd expect they'd say.

rusra02

Premium Member

Do you believe being bitten by the serpents, and the copper serpent itself are not literal?

Ben Avraham

Just to point out, since I have no vested interest. Christian's see the symbol of the copper serpent to represent sin and punishment. The recovery is seen as the recovery from the curse of sin. So Jesus was raised up like the copper serpent for folks to upon/have faith in and recovery from the curse of sin. Application of symbology has always seemed a bit arbitrary to me when it comes to the Bible. Personally I don't think anyone has a clue. One narrative is as good as the next. You maybe right but you have a obvious agenda Of course Christians do to. Or it could just be a story that was repeated for generations who's original meaning is lost.
Even today stories are told were any symbolic meaning by the author is lost unless the author is around to explain it.
Of course God, if the assumed author, a lot of folks assume through the holy spirit they directly inspired by to author to understand the symbolic meaning. "Of course, you'd be inspired to understand the true meaning of the Bible if you look upon Jesus with faith too". Least that's what I'd expect they'd say.

The Christian interpretation of the serpents in the wilderness is only to satisfy their Christian preconceived notions. Nothing in the text has any thing at all to do with Jesus. Christians are only using the Tanach to add credibility to their gospel aka the NT. My only agenda is to remain in the Tanach. I have no other religion to build but Judaism as it is found in the Tanach.