• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Second Anointing and Having Your Calling and Election Made Sure

Watchmen

Premium Member
This topic came up in a recent discussion I was having with someone, and despite my nearly 40 years in the Church, I had to admit that I know very little about it.

What is your understanding of the second anointing and/or having one's calling and election made sure?

DISCLAIMER: I understand these are sacred topics and I do not mean to pry. Please take no offense and offer only that which you are completely willing to share.

Orontes

Master of the Horse
This topic came up in a recent discussion I was having with someone, and despite my nearly 40 years in the Church, I had to admit that I know very little about it.

What is your understanding of the second anointing and/or having one's calling and election made sure?

DISCLAIMER: I understand these are sacred topics and I do not mean to pry. Please take no offense and offer only that which you are completely willing to share.

The Second Anointing was a temple rite that began in the Nauvoo period. It is the ordinance component of having one's calling and election made sure. It is not performed singly, but to a married couple, where both are sealed up with the full promises of the priesthood. Like with all other ordinances: it has no power in and of itself, its force is tied to the recipient receiving the Second Comforter: Jesus Christ directly.

Watchmen

Premium Member
The Second Anointing was a temple rite that began in the Nauvoo period. It is the ordinance component of having one's calling and election made sure. It is not performed singly, but to a married couple, where both are sealed up with the full promises of the priesthood. Like with all other ordinances: it has no power in and of itself, its force is tied to the recipient receiving the Second Comforter: Jesus Christ directly.
So how is that different than the endowment and sealing?

Orontes

Master of the Horse
So how is that different than the endowment and sealing?

Endowments and Sealings are sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise: the Holy Ghost. The Second Annointing is sealed by the Second Comforter: Christ directly.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Endowments and Sealings are sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise: the Holy Ghost. The Second Annointing is sealed by the Second Comforter: Christ directly.
So they're the same thing other than the sealed part? How does one receive his or her second anointing?

Orontes

Master of the Horse
So they're the same thing other than the sealed part? How does one receive his or her second anointing?

They are not the same, but the one may follow the other. The one is anticipatory of being sealed by the Holy Ghost. The other being sealed by Christ. The Second Anointing is ultimately dependent on receiving the Second Comforter, Christ.

Watchmen

Premium Member
They are not the same, but the one may follow the other. The one is anticipatory of being sealed by the Holy Ghost. The other being sealed by Christ. The Second Anointing is ultimately dependent on receiving the Second Comforter, Christ.
Doesn't the second anointing take place in the temple?