• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Saint of Auschwitz

Spiderman

Veteran Member
th
th

St. Maximilian Kolbe was born as Raymund Kolbe on January 8, 1894, in the Kingdom of Poland, part of the Russian Empire. He was a Polish Conventual Franciscan friar and a martyr in the German death Camp of Auschwitz during World War II.

St. Maximilian Kolbe was very active in promoting the Immaculate Virgin Mary and is known as the Apostle of Consecration to Mary. Much of his life was strongly influenced by a vision he had of the Virgin Mary when he was 12.

"That night I asked the Mother of God what was to become of me. Then she came to me holding two crowns, one white, the other red. She asked me if I was willing to accept either of these crowns. The white one meant that I should persevere in purity, and the red that I should become a martyr. I said that I would accept them both."

One year after his vision, Kolbe and his elder brother, Francis joined the Conventual Franciscans. In 1910, Kolbe was given the religious name Maximilian, after being allowed to enter the novitiate, and in 1911, he professed his first vows.

At the age of 21, Kolbe earned a doctorate in philosophy from the Pontifical Gregorian University. He would also earn a doctorate in theology by the time he was 28.

St. Maximilian Kolbe organized the Militia Immaculata (Army of the Immaculate One) after witnessing demonstrations against Pope St. Pius X and Benedict XV. His goal was to work for the conversion of sinners and enemies of the Church, specifically, the Freemasons and he would so with the intercession of Mary.

In 1918, he was ordained a priest and continued his work of promoting Mary throughout Poland. Over the next several years, Kolbe took on publishing. He founded a monthly periodical titled, "Rycerz Niepokalanej" (Knight of the Immaculate). He also operated a religious publishing press and founded a new Conventual Franciscan monastery at Niepokalanow, which became a major religious publishing center.

Kolbe also founded monasteries in both Japan and India. To this day, the monastery in Japan remains prominent in the Roman Catholic Church in Japan.

In 1936, Kolbe's poor health forced him to return home to Poland, and once the WWII invasion by Germany began, he became one of the only brothers to remain in the monastery. He opened up a temporary hospital to aid those in need. When his town was captured, Kolbe was sent to prison but released three months later.

Kolbe refused to sign a document that would recognize him as a German citizen with his German ancestry and continued to work in his monastery, providing shelter for refugees - including hiding 2,000 Jews from German persecution. After receiving permission to continue his religious publishing, Kolbe's monastery acted as a publishing house again and issued many anti-Nazi German publications.

On February 17, 1941, the monastery was shut down; Kolbe was arrested by the German Gestapo and taken to the Pawiak prison. Three months later, he was transferred to Auschwitz.

Never abandoning his priesthood, Kolbe was the victim to severe violence and harassment. Toward the end of his second month in Auschwitz, men were chosen to face death by starvation to warn against escapes. Kolbe was not chosen but volunteered to take the place of a man with a family.

It is said during the last days of his life Kolbe led prayers to Our Lady with the prisoners and remained calm. He was the last of the group to remain alive, after two weeks of dehydration and starvation. The guards gave him a lethal injection of carbolic acid. The stories tell that he raised his left arm and calmly awaited death.

St. Maximilian Kolbe died on August 14 and his remains were cremated on August 15, the same day as the Assumption of Mary feast day.
St. Maximilian Kolbe - Saints & Angels - Catholic Online

Maximilian Kolbe - Wikipedia

Anyway, because of a vision he had of Mary as a child, he knew he was going to die a martyrs death and win "the red crown of martyrdom". He predicted (and was hoping) that he would be martyred in Japan. (His monastery was on the outskirts of Nagasaki, yet was unharmed by the atomic blast.)

It seems instead he was quite ready and willing to go to the starvation bunker. In the documentary I saw on him, German guards at the camp said they could often hear him and the other victims singing hymns to God and Mary as they starved to death. This was quite different than the usually screams of agony that they heard coming from the starvation bunker.

Whatever he had, I wish I could have that tolerance to pain and ability to keep such strong faith in a total hell hole like Auschwitz. Weather you believe in God or not, he certainly had some noble admirable qualities to volunteer to take the place of someone sentenced to death by starvation.

Thoughts?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
"That night I asked the Mother of God what was to become of me. Then she came to me holding two crowns, one white, the other red. She asked me if I was willing to accept either of these crowns. The white one meant that I should persevere in purity, and the red that I should become a martyr. I said that I would accept them both."

Thoughts?

I can only wonder whether he had psychosis, schizophrenia, or any other severe mental illness that went untreated because he considered what he saw a "vision" instead of viewing it as a symptom of an illness like most well-informed people would do today.

In any case, it sounds from what you quoted like he did a lot of good things. May he rest in peace.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I can only wonder whether he had psychosis, schizophrenia, or any other severe mental illness that went untreated because he considered what he saw a "vision" instead of viewing it as a symptom of an illness like most well-informed people would do today.

In any case, it sounds from what you quoted like he did a lot of good things. May he rest in peace.
Visions and even hearing voices by themselves are not necessarily symptoms of mental illness. If he was schizophrenic, he would not be able to function in daily life.

Spiderman

Veteran Member

Yeah...I get skeptic as well, and wonder if visionaries are schizophrenic. I know schizophrenic people who hear voices and see people that aren't real. So, I certainly always consider that to be a possibility...

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Visions and even hearing voices by themselves are not necessarily symptoms of mental illness. If he was schizophrenic, he would not be able to function in daily life.

I don't think the latter part is necessarily true. There was a TED talk a woman gave a while back about functioning as a schizophrenic or something along those lines, and she was functioning pretty well herself while being schizophrenic.

On average it's probably much harder than for someone without schizophrenia, though.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Yes, if he was mentally ill, he certainly was successful with it, founding the knights of the Immaculate, and starting a monastery in Poland, Japan, and India.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I don't think the latter part is necessarily true. There was a TED talk a woman gave a while back about functioning as a schizophrenic or something along those lines, and she was functioning pretty well herself while being schizophrenic.

On average it's probably much harder than for someone without schizophrenia, though.
Well, they have periods of lucidity and it can be controlled with medication.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Yes, if he was mentally ill, he certainly was successful with it, founding the knights of the Immaculate, and starting a monastery in Poland, Japan, and India.
There's no evidence he was mentally ill. Experts even agree that we can't say Joan of Arc was mentally ill. I get annoyed when people try to say religious experiences are signs of mental illness. It's insulting and incorrect. It has to be viewed in context. Obviously if their life is falling apart and they're delusional, that's a problem. But just seeing or hearing things on its own isn't, especially if it's pleasant and positive in impact. If I have a vision of Jesus telling me He loves me and it motivates me to fix my life and alleviates depression, I can't think of why a therapist would say it's a problem. There's studies that say religious practice is helpful for those struggling with mental illness and cultural aspects must be factored in.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
There's no evidence he was mentally ill. Experts even agree that we can't say Joan of Arc was mentally ill. I get annoyed when people try to say religious experiences are signs of mental illness. It's insulting and incorrect. It has to be viewed in context. Obviously if their life is falling apart and they're delusional, that's a problem. But just seeing or hearing things on its own isn't, especially if it's pleasant and positive in impact. If I have a vision of Jesus telling me He loves me and it motivates me to fix my life and alleviates depression, I can't think of why a therapist would say it's a problem. There's studies that say religious practice is helpful for those struggling with mental illness and cultural aspects must be factored in.
yes, a lot of drug addicts and mentally ill people do improve a lot as a result of religious experiences and devotions... we shouldn't discourage it...

I think Maximilian Kolbe was authentic, and not mentally ill, but there is a part of me that always questions the possibility that Mystics and Visionaries are mentally ill... I have that skepticism largely because of conversations I've had with atheists who are trying to debunk things, and having met many mentally ill people... it takes it's toll.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
yes, a lot of drug addicts and mentally ill people do improve a lot as a result of religious experiences and devotions... we shouldn't discourage it...

I think Maximilian Kolbe was authentic, and not mentally ill, but there is a part of me that always questions the possibility that Mystics and Visionaries are mentally ill... I have that skepticism largely because of conversations I've had with atheists who are trying to debunk things, and having met many mentally ill people... it takes it's toll.
Those people don't know what they're talking about.