• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the sabbath

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
commandment4 said:
exodus
20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Where in that passage does it say you can't move it?

Squirt said:
Okay, fine. You and I obviously are at opposite ends of the spectrum. I hardly think that God sees the fact that I attend church on Sunday in quite the same light as He sees murder. But, whatever floats your boat.

well it is in the commandments with it
and it doesn't ever say that it is less imortant or that it has changed
it mentions the sabbath from geneses to revelation
never said it was changed
if you know of a place where it does then please by all means let me know

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Jayhawker Soule said:
THE COUNCIL OF LAODICEA IN PHRYGIA PACATIANA 364 A.D.
CANON XXIX.
CHRISTIANS must not judaize by resting on the Sabbath, but must work on that day, rather honouring the Lord's Day; and, if they can, resting then as Christians. But if any shall be found to be judaizers, let them be anathema from Christ.​
What does this have to do with the intent you claimed?

This should sum it up.Matt.15:9 But in VAIN they do worship me.{sunday}Teaching from doctrines the Comandments of MEN.How much clearer do you need it.The Sabbath day,the day of rest is Saturday.Case Closed.I know you will say.But the whole world loves to shop and party and and do fun things on saturday.Again I say.NARROW IS THE GATE.

Squirt

commandment4 said:
well it is in the commandments with it
and it doesn't ever say that it is less imortant or that it has changed
it mentions the sabbath from geneses to revelation
never said it was changed
if you know of a place where it does then please by all means let me know
Romans 7 compares the spirit of the law to the letter of the law. To you, the letter of the law obviously takes precedence. As far as I'm concerned, if you want to live the letter of the law, fine. But just out of curiousity, has it ever occurred to you that one error on the part of mankind during the period of time since the creation took place could have thrown the whole time-keeping system out of whack? Are you 100% sure that, when Saturday rolls around, you are worshipping exactly x number of weeks to the day when God declared He was going to rest? If so see it as that important, nothing I could say is going to change your mind. But personally, I've got a lot bigger things to worry about. I've said all I really care to on this subject.

Squirt

TheTruthWillSetUFree said:
Case Closed. Again I say.NARROW IS THE GATE.
:biglaugh: Case closed? I love that. TheTruthWillSetUFree has spoken and nobody else's opinion matters. :biglaugh:

Your opinion matters ,and Im sorry you took case closed in the wrong way.It means my case is closed.Its the truth,and I got to go with the truth.I just didnt come up with this overnite.But like they say also.Sometimes the TRUTH hurts.I hope I didnt hurt you.We are all children of God.And I apologize if I offended you.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
my Shabbat is friday night to saturday night...
that being said, from a jewish perspective, that commandment is for the Jews only

so if a non-jew wants to celebrate the christian sabbath on saturday or sunday or tuesday i'm not really gonna sweat it:D

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Victor said:
What does this have to do with the intent you claimed?

It doesn't. Not only does it show that the move was against the Judaisers (those who thought Christians should follow Jewish law), not the Jews, but it also shows that the Sabbath wasn't moved at all. It still is Saturday (and as Orthodox liturgical days go from sundown to sundown also, the Sabbath, whilst I don't observe it, is precisely the same time for me as it is for an English Jew). It's just that the Lord's Day has taken it's place. I'd also note that this council is not when the change was made but rather a condemnation of those who failed to abide by the already existing tradition of Sunday worship.

James

Maxist

Constaintene did worse ---ex: his war against Paganism---; but can we balme him? True, that was the original Sabath ---ex: also the Pagan Sabbath---.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Maxist said:
Constaintene did worse ---ex: his war against Paganism---; but can we balme him? True, that was the original Sabath ---ex: also the Pagan Sabbath---.

Can we balme him?? Yes we can blame him for what he did, he did it. Original sabbath was the Pagan sabbath? So by this can we assume that you are saying Saturday, the Jews Shabat is a pagan sabbath?

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Let's say everybody obeyed the Sabbath. Your house better not catch fire, no one working to put it out. Better not have a heart attack, no one working in the hospital to save you. No tv, no radio. No cops.... In God's wisdom, I really don't think the idea we have of it is from him.

Bishka

Veteran Member
jeffrey said:
Let's say everybody obeyed the Sabbath. Your house better not catch fire, no one working to put it out. Better not have a heart attack, no one working in the hospital to save you. No tv, no radio. No cops.... In God's wisdom, I really don't think the idea we have of it is from him.

The ox in the mire. I think Squirt might know what I'm talking about, or I may just be babbling to myself. I think God basically doesn't want us to work unless it is necessary. Like the story of the ox caught in the mire(or something like that), if you ox is caught in a hole or something like that, then of course you need to work to get him out, it's silly not too. Jesus healed and did things on the 'Sabbath' day, but for Him those things were necessary.

Basically, don't do it unless it's necessary, relax, read the scriptures, listen to music, take a nap, go to church. That's usually what my Sabbath's include.:D

jewscout

Religious Zionist
jeffrey said:

the protection of life supercedes the Shabbat laws

Jewscout,this is 4 you,You say saturday is the sabbath for Jews only,Whats up with that,what bible do you read?The Bible I study saysthis,Mark 2:27.Now this is JESUS talking,not me.THE SABBATH WAS MADE FOR MAN.Now where you get Jews only out of that,you let me Know.OK God Bless,and I will pray for you.

sabbath30.gif