• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Risks of Belief

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
I responded to a simular argument, so I just point out to you, that a human player can do this “created a new move” while the computer can only use one that is at the level that I decided and was preprogrammed, not the best in it memory, just one at the level that I decide.
Once again, big deal.
We can only do the move we think is best. The computer does the move it thinks is best. We are just as limited by biology as the computer is. The only difference is we choose to limit the computer more to specialize it. We weaken its reasoning so we can play it and still have fun.

Again, computers cannot freely think, but human do, DATA is just a movie fictional character! A computer can only come up with a pre-programmed answer, if the input is deficient it response is also deficient.
So are we. How can we answer a question with an answer we do not know?
consciousness [kónshəssnəss]
n
1. being awake and aware of surroundings: the state of being awake and aware of what is going on around you
This is an entirely irrelevant definition to the context of our discussion. That simply refers to lucidness. Computers also satisfy this definition. Your computer is aware of its mouse and keyboard. Why is it not aware of more? We limited it.
We are similarly limited with what we can view our surroundings with.
This is definition of consciousness is unique to humans (as far as we know)
Consciousness is regarded to comprise qualities such as subjectivity, self-awareness, sentience, sapience, and the ability to perceive the relationship between oneself and one's environment.

1. philosophy theory of reasoning: the branch of philosophy that deals with the theory of deductive and inductive arguments and aims to distinguish good from bad reasoning
If you are unconscious/unaware of your surroundings how are you going to distinguish
Computers are aware of their surroundings. We just choose what to make them aware too.
2. system of reasoning: any system of or an instance of reasoning and inference
Computer do not do either, reasoning or infer
Yes they do. Specialized AI systems are capable of both. And most computers are capable of running logic commands. They are based off of it.

5. inescapable relationship and pattern of events: the relationship between certain events, situations, or objects, and the inevitable consequences of their interaction
If you are unaware of all of this hare you going to make a relationship between all of these?
They are aware. Their capability in this field is very limited though. Its painstaking to code for all this, although a neural network does an extremely good job.
You also conveniently ignored this definition.
6. computing circuit design: the circuit design and principles used by a computer in its operation
No really, humans do not react instinctually, when the brain receives an stimuli, it get to wok on a solution,
When a computer receives a command (stimulus) it gets to work on a solution.
unlike a computer the human brain can created a solution that is not already stored in the brain, make a new one, no pre-existed response, computers can only bring out solution (that are human thought) that were pre-programmed into it, if there is not a file with that tag, the answer is “there is not such file”
Do you actually think every computer stores every possible mathematical operation inside it? There are over a trillion combinations possible just for numbers 1-100. Thats without the higher level stuff as well. No, the computer computes the result. It produces a number. So the computer does not dig into its memory to find the answer to 2+2. It makes the answer. My computer does not go search its database for 1+1.
As I said, if I choose the lowest level, I win every time, not matter how many complicated moves (thought by the best players) the computer file searcher have, it can only come up with basic move.
How is that different from anybody else?
In chess, the move you pick is the one you feel is the best. The computer picks the move it thinks is best. You are just preventing the computer from thinking as well as it does.

rojse

RF Addict
I am not surewhat you mean by your clarification. Did you mean "Risks to myself if I believe in God?"

Yes, that is what I thought the thread was about. What do you risk, personally, because of your beliefs?

If so, you can take my examples and look at them from your perspective. Will you become a killer because earthly life is not worth as much as the afterlife? Will you refuse medical care because it conflicts with God's will? Will you just waste your time in worship you could spend elsewhere? This is just a broad spectrum of risks based on how fundamental you are.

Most of those are risks that other people would experience because of my religious beliefs. What I would like to know is what risks you take, because of your religious beliefs. For example, if you are an atheist in a predominantly Christian community, you risk being alienated from friends and family. That is a risk that you assume because of your beliefs, not because of someone else's beliefs. So, what risks do you assume personally because of your beliefs?