• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The rewards of incest

Pah

Uber all member
Linus said:
kc8tbe said, "Sounds like another biblical contradiction"

I dont' believe that this is a very accurate statement, I think you all are forgetting that all the events that you have submetted (Lot's daughters, Noah's family, Abraham, etc.) took place before Leviticus (a.k.a jewish law) was even written. God Forbids incest later in Leviticus probably because it was not necessary any more. It might have been necessary during the times of Adam, or Noah, and it most likely was not forbidden because of its apperrant need for spreading the human race. So maybe God let it occur when it was necessary, and then condemned it when it was not.

Those are just my thoughts though. Anyone else?

I don't think Christians would agree that the authority of the Bible is based on chronological order..

Linus

Maybe with the New Testament, yes. But the Old Testament is different. It is a historical account. It is told in the order in which it all occurred so it can establish the history of the Jewish people. The Jews did not recieve their Law until after the exodus from Egypt. Lot, Noah, and Abraham all lived before that event even took place.

Pah

Uber all member
Linus said:
Maybe with the New Testament, yes. But the Old Testament is different. It is a historical account. It is told in the order in which it all occurred so it can establish the history of the Jewish people. The Jews did not recieve their Law until after the exodus from Egypt. Lot, Noah, and Abraham all lived before that event even took place.

Actually, portions of Genesis were writen about the same time as LevitIcus. Scholarship sees Geniesis as written by four individuals and one of them is desiginated "P" for priestly who may have been the author of all the laws.

I recommend the bestselling book (it was years ago) The History of God by Karen Armstring.

Linus

I'll agree that in some cases Genesis tells different storys out of order to maybe clarify, explain, or go into detail, such as the account of the creation of mankind.

In Genesis 1 God creates everything. Chapter 2 goes BACK to give the details of that creation, then goes FOREWARD to tell what happened next.

But the geneologies from Adam to Noah and from Noah to Abraham are given so that a chronological order is established. That way we know that this story took place here because this person is so many generations away from Adam.

The books may have been written at the same time, but the events that occurred in Genesis happened much earlier.

Pah

Uber all member
Are you saying that morality as encompassed in God's law is relative to the times?

Linus

No. I am only saying that morality in God's law is only what He wants it to be. If He wants to change a law, then He will. I was only guessing at the reason for incest in the Bible. Don't take my theories as widely accepted ones among the Christians. A possibility is that it was a necessity at the time of Genesis, then when it wasn't needed to further the human race God made it against the law because it is better to mix up the gene pool. That's all.

kc8tbe

kc8tbe said, "Sounds like another biblical contradiction"

I dont' believe that this is a very accurate statement, I think you all are forgetting that all the events that you have submetted (Lot's daughters, Noah's family, Abraham, etc.) took place before Leviticus (a.k.a jewish law) was even written. God Forbids incest later in Leviticus probably because it was not necessary any more. It might have been necessary during the times of Adam, or Noah, and it most likely was not forbidden because of its apperrant need for spreading the human race. So maybe God let it occur when it was necessary, and then condemned it when it was not.
Abraham is supposedly rewarded for believing in God. Belief in God is a commandment given in Leviticus. Abraham followed all the biblical laws, even through they weren't introduced until Leviticus. Even Lot tried to follow a few biblical laws, including hospitality, despite the fact that the law wasn't given until Leviticus. The list goes on. So while your argument could hold technically, it would invalidate a lot of mainstream religious thinking.

Also, one of the seven laws of Noah, which apply to both Hebrews and non-Hebrews, forbids sexual immorality. These laws were given when Noah disembarked from his ark - prior to Lot's time. While not everyone would translate "sexual immorality" into "no incest", most would.

Linus

you're right, Kc8tbe. But my intent was only to prove that it wasn't a contradiction. It wasn't technically THE Jewish law, so it isn't a contradiction.

But I'm not saying that God was pleased with the sexual immorality of these people. The case of Lot's daughters was probably very displeasing to The Lord. But I think that he allowed Noah's family to do it in order to populate the earth.

I hope this makes things a little more clear.

Sam Bloom

So old Lot didn't have sex with the daughters willingly? Evidently didnt have any trouble getting an erection did he. Give me a break.

Linus

Sam Bloom said:
So old Lot didn't have sex with the daughters willingly? Evidently didnt have any trouble getting an erection did he. Give me a break.

Please read Genesis 19:30-36.

Lots daughters got him drunk. In verses 33 and 35 it says that he didn't even know what was going on.

dan

pah said:
Are you saying that morality as encompassed in God's law is relative to the times?

Absolutely. What is wrong at one point in time may be required at another. It is God's prerogative to make laws and change them, and it is not our right to judge Him for it.

Pah

Uber all member
dan said:
pah said:

Absolutely. What is wrong at one point in time may be required at another. It is God's prerogative to make laws and change them, and it is not our right to judge Him for it.

God''s morality certainly is relative given all the genocide and infanticide. Making God a relative being certainly destroys any absoute in the Bible. That means, you can not trust the Bible to be related to today.

dan

Which is why prophets are indispensable today, as they were in the past. The world changes, and God never said His rules would not. People just assume that they won't. I'd like to remind you that the relativity of His rules is in no way dictated by earthly influences, but by His own will. You measure the Bible with your own human understanding, but His providence and wisdom are far greater than yours. Do not mistake the misplaced religious zeal of apostates for authorized Godly indignation. Few there be who act in the name of God these days.

Please try to understand that God understands things much better than you do. You are the thirteen year old yelling, "I hate you!" as you run from your father crying; unable to understand how he could be so cold in denying you your rights and pleasures, when all he is doing is protecting and loving you.

Linus

pah said:
God''s morality certainly is relative given all the genocide and infanticide.

Just curious, what exactly do you mean by this?

pah said:
Making God a relative being certainly destroys any absoute in the Bible. That means, you can not trust the Bible to be related to today.

God changes His law when He wants to. When He does it He lets us know. That is what happen when Jesus came and was crucified. God's law was changed.