• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The reason?

Dena

I
I don't belong to a church. You asked the question. I simply told you I thought it was out of line and not on topic.

So this will be my last post as I really am not interested in an argument.

SKKF is not Jewish and likely didn't mean anything by the comment. I've had people call my shul "church" many times when asking me a question. You can just answer what you know they are really asking (did you choose Reform, Conservative, etc) or gently remind them that Jews do not call their synagogues "church". They are not trying to be offensive, they just aren't used to the terminology and slip up sometimes.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
SKKF is not Jewish and likely didn't mean anything by the comment. I've had people call my shul "church" many times when asking me a question. You can just answer what you know they are really asking (did you choose Reform, Conservative, etc) or gently remind them that Jews do not call their synagogues "church". They are not trying to be offensive, they just aren't used to the terminology and slip up sometimes.

I don't practice Judaism, that's correct. And yes, it was just a word used instead of "denomination" or whatever. :)

Tamar

I am Jewish.
SKKF, If I misunderstood your comment you have my apology. I don't go to a church, I go to a synagogue. I am not a part of a movement as I am unaffiliated. Although I am very drawn to the renewal movement.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
SKKF, If I misunderstood your comment you have my apology. I don't go to a church, I go to a synagogue. I am not a part of a movement as I am unaffiliated. Although I am very drawn to the renewal movement.

The internet is not ideal for many religious discussions anyway. Really my only interest was in what denominations people were converting to. what I meant by "church" was Conservative, Reform etc. Yes, synagogue is obviously the correct term. Anyway thanks for the reply.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dena

Well people convert in all sorts of ways. I get a little bit tired of the labels since it doesn't necessarily tell you who that person is and how they approach Judaism. One person can flow through many different denominations in their life and sometimes attend two different shuls (or even three) at the same time.

Rakhel

Well people convert in all sorts of ways. I get a little bit tired of the labels since it doesn't necessarily tell you who that person is and how they approach Judaism. One person can flow through many different denominations in their life and sometimes attend two different shuls (or even three) at the same time.
This sounds like one of my husband's old friends. He originally converted through the reform movement. He followed that up with a Conservative conversion, and when he got to where he lives now, he converted Orthodox. Last I heard, he was attending Modern Orthodox regularly and going to Chabad on the occasion.