• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The real problem with religion and philosophy.

Smoke

Done here.
Many years ago when I took Psych 101, the professor told us that all fears but two are learned. He said the two fears all humans are born with are the fear of falling and the fear of loud noises.

Shouldn't those be important issues to be addressed by any religion? :)

Skwim

Veteran Member
Many years ago when I took Psych 101, the professor told us that all fears but two are learned. He said the two fears all humans are born with are the fear of falling and the fear of loud noises.

What? I can't hear youuuuu

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
I can't say that I necessarily agree with your learned professor, but I certainly agree that many religions seem to lack a certain explorative quality, a willingness to think outside their own box. It bothers me that too often many religions approach the world with a book and set of rules written well before Sigmund Freud ever did his first line of cocaine, and they say 'this is it, all the answers to anything you can think to ask'.

I don't find this same immobile character in philosophy though. Ehh, those jerks are probably just as bad too.

Last edited:

dust1n

Zindīq

Can't really think of the philosophical implications.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

I have both those fears, but I never thought to address them with my faith. :run:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I haven't found any pursuit for me yet to deal with fear of falling, but apparently motorsport has a leg up on all religion, since it's taken me from fearing loud noises to loving them. :D

Maybe I should take up skydiving.

Edit: I've just come up with a new religion! No tenets, but it would have two Sabbaths:

- Saturday: all-day worship service (BASE jumping)
- Sunday: all-day worship service (auto racing)

Now THERE'S a religion that I could get behind! :D

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Edit: I've just come up with a new religion! No tenets, but it would have two Sabbaths:

- Saturday: all-day worship service (BASE jumping)
- Sunday: all-day worship service (auto racing)

Now THERE'S a religion that I could get behind!

Everyone worships in their own way! ;):D