• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread 3!

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I haven't done any electronic repair for years. Use to be my job, but should put it to practical use.
Cant afford to have an "expert" repair it. And given the issue is electrical and not mechanical then I should be able to troubleshoot the issue and the cost will be my time, labor, and a few dollars for a blown component. Heck of a lot better than paying for a repair I can't afford on an appliance I'd probably spend less replacing.
Even when I can afford to have someone else fix it, I do it myself because it just gets too expensive too easily and too quickly to let someone else do. Like when the upper intake manifold gaskets on my car went bad, it would have costs hundreds, nearly a thousand if I remember correctly, to put a $30 gasket in because it would have taken them six to eight hours to do it. I did the job in four, and saved a crap ton of money.
I don't blame you for doing your own, and completely understand your reasons. I wish that I were mechanically and electrically competent to do those kinds of repairs myself; my point was that not everyone should try--or be allowed--to handle tools and attempt such work. I am one of those, and recognize my limitations. If my life depended on it, I could not McGyver any but the simplest of solutions for any problem. I consider it a great victory if I can adjust the throttle on my mower, or put the chain back on my chainsaw (my wife is very much against me using a chainsaw because of my general lack of mechanical aptitude...I'm really quite good at using it; not so much on repairing/maintaining). Actually disassembling and repairing? I gave up after years of trying to keep my Volkswagen microbus running, and that was a VERY simple system...although I did repair my late father-in-law's riding lawn mower a few years back...

Good luck to you both, and I'm glad you're competent to do such work. Not everyone in the world has those skills; I certainly am not one of them.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Well, at least I have a comfortable and warm bed to sleep in tonight.
Mines not comfortable, but I have the warmth (usually, unless it's really cold outside and the wind is blowing in the right direction). Even when my family was very poor I've always have a bed to sleep in, food to eat (even if it was little), and a roof over my head. It's one of things I do have to be thankful for. That, and my health is generally good, other than my left me (which has arthritis and I've had three surgeries on it) and having IBS (which is how I found out that otherwise my health is in good condition from all the tests that have to be ran for that, along with yearly physical my insurance requires).

I routinely get on a trip of "oh poor me", and I sometimes need to alter my perspective. As unsatisfied as I am with nearly every aspect of my life right now, at least I have a warm, comfortable bed to sleep in this evening. It could be, and should be much worse. I am better than I deserve.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Well, I didn't get the social worker job.:(
And I was really looking forward to the job. I was also really looking forward to the scribe job. But I haven't even been able to get a job delivering pizzas or working at a gas station.
I think I'm just going to apply for SSI and put down absolutely everything that I have on my application.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Making breakfast, knock on my door, answer to a pastor of a new church and his daughter (the long hair, covered from neck down in long dress and other layers type). He proceeds to introduce them and want to give me tracts about their church and such and I just say "no thank you". He then asks if I go to a regular church and I reply "no, I'm Pagan" erroneously thinking that should end the conversation. He then replies with a big smile "that's okay, Pagans need to be saved right?" :rolleyes:. Uh, no. I said "nope, 'cause there's nothing to be saved from". He gives a strange look for a moment then plasters his smile back on and says that he'll see me later and turns and leaves. Great, I think I'm going to have more door knockers. Either that or vandalism.

I think they were from this new church that moved in not too long ago. If that's the case...could be in for actual physical retaliation. Supposedly our neighbor got jumped by a few of their "godly" members because she's lesbian. Wolf in sheep's clothing kind of church. Lovely.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Making breakfast, knock on my door, answer to a pastor of a new church and his daughter (the long hair, covered from neck down in long dress and other layers type). He proceeds to introduce them and want to give me tracts about their church and such and I just say "no thank you". He then asks if I go to a regular church and I reply "no, I'm Pagan" erroneously thinking that should end the conversation. He then replies with a big smile "that's okay, Pagans need to be saved right?" :rolleyes:. Uh, no. I said "nope, 'cause there's nothing to be saved from". He gives a strange look for a moment then plasters his smile back on and says that he'll see me later and turns and leaves. Great, I think I'm going to have more door knockers. Either that or vandalism.

I think they were from this new church that moved in not too long ago. If that's the case...could be in for actual physical retaliation. Supposedly our neighbor got jumped by a few of their "godly" members because she's lesbian. Wolf in sheep's clothing kind of church. Lovely.
We have not had any come to our front door in a while now. If all they do is give me some recycling and leave, that's fine and most are that way.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I am livid! My greed, self-centered, inconsiderate sister took it upon herself to apply for food stamps, against my judgement that if anyone applies it should be our parents given they are head of household, and today I get a letter from a letter from the FSSA saying they got a heads up that I'm living with my sister's family and now I have to provide a ton of documentations for all of her bull ****.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
We have not had any come to our front door in a while now. If all they do is give me some recycling and leave, that's fine and most are that way.

Had a guy come to my door 2 times a year for 2 years. The last time I saw him I told him the most popular religion in my house was Buddhism (my mother-in-law lived with us then and she is a buddhist)....I never saw the guy again

Draka

Wonder Woman
I welcome Mormons, but only them. I have not encountered another denomination that doesn't end up condescendingly preachy.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I think what got me the most was the response that Pagans need saved too "right?" I mean, does it not at all dawn on some people that no Pagan would agree with that? That someone who is not Christian would not believe in the need for salvation through their religion? That there is a need for "salvation" at all? If I believed I needed "salvation" I would already be seeking such now wouldn't I? Duh. :rolleyes:

Wu Wei

I think what got me the most was the response that Pagans need saved too "right?" I mean, does it not at all dawn on some people that no Pagan would agree with that? That someone who is not Christian would not believe in the need for salvation through their religion? That there is a need for "salvation" at all? If I believed I needed "salvation" I would already be seeking such now wouldn't I? Duh. :rolleyes:

New a guy once that invited them into his house and proceeded to try and sell them on another religion (he was at all religious by the way) and he kept them there discussing religion with them and even tried to stand between them and his door keeping them there longer, even though they were trying to leave....they left and never came back.

Knew another guy, a friend of the guy that once got into a serious conversation with some later day saints at his door and had them both worrying for his salvation and a bit terrified. He told them he worshipped paneling and got into painful detail as to who he did that, even invited them in for further discussion, but they declined...they left and never came back as well

Draka

Wonder Woman
New a guy once that invited them into his house and proceeded to try and sell them on another religion (he was at all religious by the way) and he kept them there discussing religion with them and even tried to stand between them and his door keeping them there longer, even though they were trying to leave....they left and never came back.

Knew another guy, a friend of the guy that once got into a serious conversation with some later day saints at his door and had them both worrying for his salvation and a bit terrified. He told them he worshipped paneling and got into painful detail as to who he did that, even invited them in for further discussion, but they declined...they left and never came back as well
The last time I had Mormons in my home they were practically enthralled with my beliefs. They poked around through my books on witchcraft and divination, examined my altar, asked about all kinds of things. One of the guys came back weeks later with a new guy just to have him talk to me and see my stuff. :p. We actually had very friendly conversations, comparing beliefs. Similarities, differences and so on. I've never gotten that from any other Christian denomination. I've gotten preaching, condescension, and close-mindedness. Which is why I have more respect for LDS as a denomination than others. People, especially missionaries, are an example of their beliefs and religions. They are representatives of a faith and creed. I may not agree with particular beliefs, but as a whole, the people show their denomination worthy of respect.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The last time I had Mormons in my home they were practically enthralled with my beliefs. They poked around through my books on witchcraft and divination, examined my altar, asked about all kinds of things. One of the guys came back weeks later with a new guy just to have him talk to me and see my stuff. :p. We actually had very friendly conversations, comparing beliefs. Similarities, differences and so on. I've never gotten that from any other Christian denomination. I've gotten preaching, condescension, and close-mindedness. Which is why I have more respect for LDS as a denomination than others. People, especially missionaries, are an example of their beliefs and religions. They are representatives of a faith and creed. I may not agree with particular beliefs, but as a whole, the people show their denomination worthy of respect.
It's rare and wonderful when someone else has such interest.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
And if you've ever wondered why I like you so much, Draka, now you know. It's because you, too, are open-minded and accepting of people whose beliefs are different from yours.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I just watched a video of somebody playing Super Mario Brothers 3. This guy was not only good, he was so good he makes me look crappy at the game and he was doing stuff that I didn't even know was possible.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm depressed. I was really wanting that job, and my own social worker, against my better judgement,I let her get my hopes up when she told that them doing a background check was a job offer.

Wu Wei

Doing a background check is rarely a job offer, it is a background check, sometimes a precursor of a job offer, sometimes a tool to decide if they wish to make a job offer, sometimes a requirement of applying for a job.

Want a job as a social worker, if you can, find out why they didn't choose you and work to correct those things they saw as lacking, then try again.