• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread 3!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Some people like sleeping to it. Its a distant patter if the house is properly constructed. It would be easily drowned out by the sound of a fan or music.

We don't get steel roofs on dwellings on this side of the Atlantic. The only time I've experienced it was on a weekend break in Wales. We stayed in a static caravan and it rained big time all weekend.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
PG&E says its equipment may have sparked Dixie fire - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

Utility equipment from Pacific Gas & Electric Co. may have sparked the Dixie fire, which has scorched more than 30,000 acres in Butte and Plumas counties over the past week, according to a report the utility company filed Sunday.

PG&E said in the report submitted to the California Public Utilities Commission that an employee responding to an outage Tuesday noticed a blown fuse at Cresta Dam in a heavily forested area of Butte County around the Feather River Canyon. The worker approached the pole about 4:40 p.m. and found two blown fuses and a tree leaning into a power lines conductor, “which was still intact and suspended on the poles,” the report said. “He also observed a fire on the ground near the base of the tree.”

The worker removed a third fuse that hadn’t blown, reported the fire, and his supervisor called 911, according to the document.

California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection officials quickly swarmed the area, dropping fire retardant and water. But by 8 a.m. Wednesday, the blaze had grown to 500 acres. Dangerous fire weather conditions followed, with gusty winds and low humidity, leading Cal Fire to issue a red flag warning. By Wednesday evening, the fire — by then dubbed the Dixie fire — had reached 2,200 acres and was 0% contained.

PG&E has come under increased scrutiny in recent years as its equipment has been targeted as the source of several fires. A trust representing more than 80,000 wildfire victims sued nearly two dozen of the utility’s former executives and board members earlier this year, claiming their neglect led to several fires. To avoid sparking incidents, the company has ramped up power safety shut-offs during California’s fire season.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We don't get steel roofs on dwellings on this side of the Atlantic. The only time I've experienced it was on a weekend break in Wales. We stayed in a static caravan and it rained big time all weekend.
Steel roofs are the best.
Alas, they're much more money than asphalt shingles.
I'd like a titanium roof...no corrosion & no painting.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Steel roofs are the best.
Alas, they're much more money than asphalt shingles.
I'd like a titanium roof...no corrosion & no painting.

Clay tiles, slate or cut stone also don't corrode or need painting and far less spendy than titanium.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Clay tiles, slate or cut stone also don't corrode or need painting and far less spendy than titanium.
Clay tiles are fine for the southwest, but they wouldn't hold up here.
cut stone is spendier & heavier.
Titanium is just my fantasy.
Gold & platinum would be wonderful too.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Clay tiles are fine for the southwest, but they wouldn't hold up here.
cut stone is spendier & heavier.
Titanium is just my fantasy.
Gold & platinum would be wonderful too.

Why wouldn't clay hold up? They are sufficient for northern Europe and will last 100 years or more with very little maintenance.

Although i will admit. The roof on this house was blown off during cyclone lothar in 1999. First time in 200 years.

But so was just about every roof (and millions of trees brought down) so i won't be blaming the tiles.

Cut stone is heavier, of course the property has to be built to take the weight. But you cannot beat it for "drystone huts"

unnamed (2).jpg

This withstood the storm

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Why wouldn't clay hold up? They are sufficient for northern Europe and will last 100 years or more with very little maintenance.
I'm skeptical that they'd stand up to snow & freeze thaw cycles here.
Although i will admit. The roof on this house was blown off during cyclone lothar in 1999. First time in 200 years.

But so was just about every roof (and millions of trees brought down) so i won't be blaming the tiles.

Cut stone is heavier, of course the property has to be built to take the weight. But you cannot beat it for "drystone huts"

View attachment 52902
This withstood the storm
Wouldn't want to be in that thing in an earthquake!

ChristineM

Premium Member
I'm skeptical that they'd stand up to snow & freeze thaw cycles here.

Wouldn't want to be in that thing in an earthquake!

Skepticism?? Ok

Stood for hundreds of years, not sure if hit by any earthquakes. There are lots of them around here, used for drying and storing walnuts

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
That castle smashes so good and so deserved of a win I almost fell bad posting after it....almost

Goodnight RF, wherever you are

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
This is random, but not meaningless...I like all the 'new' sections on RF. :clapping:

There are some good ones. The section for sections. The new section where @Revoltingest makes his posts on engines, made as a special DIR so we can opt out of reading them if we get burnt out. The section where we cast spells to bring back the members missing in action. Some good sections.