• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Purpose of Marriage

bahamut19

One Wife Best, Two Wives Allowed​

63 God has ordained marriage for you. Beware of exceeding two wives, and whoever is satisfied with one woman, his soul and hers will be at ease. And whoever takes a virgin for his service, there is no blame on him. Thus, the matter has been inscribed by the pen of revelation in truth. Marry, oh people, so that among you may appear those who will remember me among my servants. This is a command from me to you. Take it as a source of aid for yourselves. -- Baha'u'llah in the Kitab-i-Aqdas

The purpose of marriage seems to be for creating people who will remember God and believe in Baha'u'llah as a Manifestation of God. Is there any other purpose for marriage? If a person does not desire to have children, are they violating God's law?

bahamut19

I suppose I will answer my own questions.

It does seem the other purpose of marriage is for the Cause of God to be exalted, such as by allowing marriage between believers and non-believers in the Baha'i revelation. There does not seem to be any other purpose.

I do think with this being a command, it is actually quite important. There is no punishment of course, and this is not something described as being in the realm of the House(s) of Justice, so it appears it is between God and the believer. Throughout Baha'u'llah's writings, He describes how monasticism is a practice which needs not exist, and it seems as though Baha'u'llah really wanted people to be out there interacting and living in the world, for the purpose of remembering God and being an example of God's love and grace.

With Houses of Justice to be in every city, and every city also having a Mashriq'ul-Adhkar, you can envision how community life is supposed to be. A primary purpose which God has for us, after teaching about God, is to create families and communities which embody God's teachings.

So, yes, it is incredibly important to marry and have children, and every effort should be made to create vibrant communities which support family life, from birth to death and every stage between. Will a person be punished for not having children? I do not believe so. I do hope there could be more children who are born being raised under the teachings of Baha'u'llah. In the communities I had served in, it was a rare occurance. I believe because communities are not very focused on developing family life, and much is taught beyond Baha'u'llah which doesn't make family life so attractive in Baha'i communities.