• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The problem with making a prediction of doom over others

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Sometimes i listen to my muslim Brothers who claim to know the truth, and tell everyone else are doomed to hell. This make me sad to hear from them. How can they know where other people end up when they die?

What about them selvs? How can they "know" they are not the one ending in Hell?

Isn't spirirual practice about saving our own life after death, and not about condeming others to Hell?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Sometimes i listen to my muslim Brothers who claim to know the truth, and tell everyone else are doomed to hell. This make me sad to hear from them. How can they know where other people end up when they die?

Isn't spirirual practice about saving our own life after death, and not about condeming others to Hell?

Some are more spiritually mature than others.

There do seem to be an abundance of verses in the Qur'an about the torment the unbelievers face. To be honest, I'm a little over halfway through reading it(at the request of a friend), and I think I've yet to find a Surah that doesn't contain some kind of description about this. I suspect this is why it may be fresh in the minds of some. On the other hand, it does appear one is instructed to worry about themselves and their own dealings, rather than obsess over others. That part is stated, but perhaps not as frequently.

You could always restate this fact when confronted with the more judgmental types.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Some are more spiritually mature than others.

There do seem to be an abundance of verses in the Qur'an about the torment the unbelievers face. To be honest, I'm a little over halfway through reading it(at the request of a friend), and I think I've yet to find a Surah that doesn't contain some kind of description about this. I suspect this is why it may be fresh in the minds of some. On the other hand, it does appear one is instructed to worry about themselves and their own dealings, rather than obsess over others. That part is stated, but perhaps not as frequently.

You could always restate this fact when confronted with the more judgmental types.
I do see the verses in the quran too, but my quest is to use it toward my own being, not toward others:)

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I do see the verses in the quran too, but my quest is to use it toward my own being, not toward others:)

It would be nice if all people could focus on their own paths...

But, like kids, grown folks often become overly concerned with that is on their neighbor's paper, so to speak. Perhaps this is from a fear that perhaps they are doing things wrong, and they want to distract from that? Sometimes its anger that the world doesn't work the way they prefer. Either way, its not a most mature attitude to have, but there isn't much one can do about it until the person is ready to 'grow', in a spiritual sense.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't concern over things like that. It comes across as manufactured stress.

Worrying about things that just simply are not there.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member

I have no idea who is going to end up where. Unlike many I have conversed with on here that claim to know or allude to the ability to know, I am not one of them. It is where I am going that is my focus and the only focus we can really work with.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

The problem in Islam is one Christianity has faced as well.

We have Wahhabism and other rigid views of Islam and those who follow such can be eager to tell others they are damned while the doom sayers feel gratified that they are among the saved.

It's part of lower human nature to want to feel special and by contrast label others as inferior. Religion is a tool for those people.

There's no way to change their minds unless or until they themselves become open to change.

The only answer one can give is that Allah will determine one's fate, that one submits to the Will of Allah and that the two most used names in the Quran are "The Merciful" and "The Compassionate".

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself

Baha'u'llah said in the Kitab-i-Iqan, the Book of Certitude:
He should forgive the sinful, and never despise his low estate, for none knoweth what his own end shall be. How often hath a sinner, at the hour of death, attained to the essence of faith, and, quaffing the immortal draught, hath taken his flight unto the celestial Concourse. And how often hath a devout believer, at the hour of his soul’s ascension, been so changed as to fall into the nethermost fire.
Bahá’u’lláh, "The Kitáb-i-Íqán"

Shakeel

The Qur'an tells us who are doomed. To deny that would be disbelief. It isn't said of individuals except for those mentioned by the Qur'an or the Prophet (ﷺ), but of groups, such as disbelievers and hypocrites.