• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Picnic Sandwich

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
I thought I'd share one of our favorite sandwiches from the book Vegan Yum Yum by Lauren Ulm. I highly recommend her recipes for anyone, omni and veggie alike. Even my dedicated carnivores request her stuff.

1/2 Cup pine nuts, dry toasted
1/3 Cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
1 roasted red pepper (jarred is fine), cut into sandwich-sized strips
1 zucchini
1 t. olive oil
1/2 to 1 t. Italian herbs, your choice
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
1 French Baguette
1 Cup baby spinach

1. Place pine nuts in a dry skillet over medium heat and brown. Be careful not to burn! Remove and place in a food processor.

2. Process nuts with sun-dried tomatoes. If the paste is too thick for your liking, add a little bit of oil.

3. Chop the zucchini into rectangles, 1/4 of an inch thick. Heat herbs in pan with oil and add the zucchini to brown.

4. Toast the bread. Spread the nut/tomato mixture on both slices. Layer the spinach, pepper, and zucchini. Add additional seasonings if you like.

** You can do anything with this recipe. Add any veggies you enjoy, any herbs, and try it with different kinds of bread (I use wheat often). The key is the pine nut/tomato spread! You don't have to toast the nuts ~ I get lazy and skip that step sometimes.

I love to grill the whole sandwich, adding a bit of low-cal vegan margarine on the outsides. It wraps up and travels well, and it'll be just as good (if not better) the next day or two.

If you aren't vegan, cheese would fit nicely in here too. I will note though, despite my love for cheese, this sandwich really doesn't need it. It's awesome all by itself.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
My gosh, that sounds fantastic! I love discovering new, healthy recipes. Sounds loaded with flavor.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
You can really make it your own too, which I dig. Add whatever you like. It's a great way to eat your veggies.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
What's nice about a good veggie recipe is that one can always add meat and make it twice as nice. :D

:p Funny.

Now that you mention it, I do that for my non-veg family members. Sometimes they'll eat a vegan or vegetarian meal, but most of the time I have to modify the recipe by adding to it.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
:p Funny.

Now that you mention it, I do that for my non-veg family members. Sometimes they'll eat a vegan or vegetarian meal, but most of the time I have to modify the recipe by adding to it.
At least they are getting some veggies in that way. One time you can often get away with this is by putting both meat and spinach in lasagna. :yes: Hey, I know my way around the kitchen more than one may realize.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
:yes: Hey, I know my way around the kitchen more than one may realize.

So, I see.
icon14.gif

Any good recipes for Brussels Sprouts? I try and try, yet I still cannot manage to like them.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
So, I see.
icon14.gif

Any good recipes for Brussels Sprouts? I try and try, yet I still cannot manage to like them.
I love them just how they are. My three favorite veggies are brussel sprouts, cabbage, and spinach. You can thank the Army for me growing to like the last two. Two things that may help you choke down the brussel sprouts are cheese or a butter flavored spray, such as made by I can't believe it's not butter. They do have a strong taste though so I think you pretty much like them or don't.