• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Perfect Source to Knowledge About God

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
This is really a response to the ex-Muslim thread with seems to have been moved/deleted. :(

You come to examine your Holy scripture honestly, in my case the Bible being ex-Christian, and assuming God is, should be perfect, why then is the book which is claimed to possess God's authority so imperfect?

It's easy to come up with any number of explanations as to why this is. One can stretch credulity to it's limits in a effort to keep your religion/faith true. However at some point some come to realize they are only fooling themselves.

Once you come to accept the possibility that the book containing God's authority may be imperfect how certain can one be that any of it is perfect/accurate?

One is left to guess/justify which parts remain perfect. What authority does any man really possess to accomplish this?

Maybe there is a God, maybe not but what, information by man, in the possession of man is trustworthy enough to accept any truth about God?

I say there is none so reserve a decision as to the nature of God until such trustworthy information is available.

How could a perfect loving God expect anything more from me?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
This is really a response to the ex-Muslim thread with seems to have been moved/deleted. :(

You come to examine your Holy scripture honestly, in my case the Bible being ex-Christian, and assuming God is, should be perfect, why then is the book which is claimed to possess God's authority so imperfect?

It's easy to come up with any number of explanations as to why this is. One can stretch credulity to it's limits in a effort to keep your religion/faith true. However at some point some come to realize they are only fooling themselves.

Once you come to accept the possibility that the book containing God's authority may be imperfect how certain can one be that any of it is perfect/accurate?

One is left to guess/justify which parts remain perfect. What authority does any man really possess to accomplish this?

Maybe there is a God, maybe not but what, information by man, in the possession of man is trustworthy enough to accept any truth about God?

I say there is none so reserve a decision as to the nature of God until such trustworthy information is available.

I believe that the claim of 'truth' of any one religion is an unresolvable contradiction and paradox. The factual nature of the history of humanity, life and our physical existence. The heavy role of culture on religion and scripture compounds the problem. Throw in the fallible nature of humanity and the history of scripture itself it is possible that scripture and the religions are a human creation.

I do believe that either there is a universal underlying evolving spiritual Revelation in the scriptures as the only possible explanation that makes Revelation from God consistent and real. In this scenario humanity and life both physically and spiritually evolves. This spiritual evolution is apparent in the progressive nature within the Bible. Quran and the Baha'i writings.

...You come to examine your Holy scripture honestly, in my case the Bible being ex-Christian, and assuming God is, should be perfect, why then is the book which is claimed to possess God's authority so imperfect?...

I don’t think Bible is imperfect, why do you?

Thief

Rogue Theologian

so...you don't believe?
I'm not sure your stance

and if you're waiting for a document ......so you can believe......
good luck

Thief

Rogue Theologian
What do you base your belief on?
science

that ever present corner stone.....
cause and effect

of course, science leads TO the point of decision, and cannot proceed further
the experiment won't fit in the petri dish

so I take what science offers
it leads to the pivot of decision

and yes, it is a decision without proof

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
science

that ever present corner stone.....
cause and effect

of course, science leads TO the point of decision, and cannot proceed further
the experiment won't fit in the petri dish

so I take what science offers
it leads to the pivot of decision

and yes, it is a decision without proof

Why do you feel it is necessary to make a decision without proof?

You can and sometimes it's even necessary but the results are never predictable.

In the case of God however, I don't see making a decision as necessary.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Why do you feel it is necessary to make a decision without proof?

You can and sometimes it's even necessary but the results are never predictable.

In the case of God however, I don't see making a decision as necessary.
let science take you to the beginning....

an object at rest will remain at rest...until something moves it

BANG!

and the universe comes forth

denial would require the saying
the universe set itself in motion

which would deny science

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Try it with Gita or Buddhist Suttas, and it become more of a challenge to see imperfections.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

BANG!

which would deny science
Actually, uniform motion and rest are equivalent in physics. So a universe can be in uniform motion without needing a mover at all.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Try it with Gita or Buddhist Suttas, and it become more of a challenge to see imperfections.

There were two versions of the Bhagavad Gita I read. One handed out by the Hare Krishnas which had very colorful flowery language, and one a friend of mine had which was in very simple language.

This was quite a while ago, but I remember thinking at the time the Hare Krishna's had taken a few liberties with the interpretation.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

BANG!

which would deny science

Sure but lacking knowledge, you can imagine that beginning to have been whatever you wish. The only limit is your imagination.

So you can rely on the imaginations of primitive religions or make up your on story. It doesn't matter since no one can prove you wrong.

So, in your story, how was God created?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
There were two versions of the Bhagavad Gita I read. One handed out by the Hare Krishnas which had very colorful flowery language, and one a friend of mine had which was in very simple language.

This was quite a while ago, but I remember thinking at the time the Hare Krishna's had taken a few liberties with the interpretation.
Yes they did.
One thing I miss is absence of skeptical pushback against Hindu and Buddhist thought. Without healthy critique and skepticism, it difficult to improve upon one's beliefs and thoughts. Maybe you could read the Gita or Buddhist Sutta and provide a critique? :)

Last edited:

It has a very imperfect history with poor provenance of mostly unknown authorship.

Everything people make is imperfect. And most books have unknown authors to me. I think those are not good arguments about relevancy of a book.

The actual factual evidence is that most of the books of the Bible have been edited, redacted and compiled over time.

All books are edited, does it mean they are not true?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Actually, uniform motion and rest are equivalent in physics. So a universe can be in uniform motion without needing a mover at all.
can't agree

prior to the creation.....no movment

there was nothing to move
no where to come from......no where to go to

and I believe it all came from one location.....the primordial singularity

science can take you to that point
but cannot explain that Initial Break ....the Bang

that is where you apply logic

Something created all of this
and set it into motion

Spirit first