• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Passion"

Pliskit

I posted my thoughts on the movie on another forum, I'll paste the majority of it below.

I'm not sure if this movie has come out all over the world yet, it came into theaters here on Wednesday. I went and saw it Wednesday afternoon, I wasn't exactly prepared for it. I got there and sat down in the top row, you can see best from there. I glanced around and noticed I was one of the youngest people there, it was mainly older folks, they were all dressed in suits and such. I felt out of place somewhat, wearing a jean jacket from the 70's and bondage pants LoL

So anyways back to the movie. I thought it was well made, as far as I'm concerned it was accurate according to the Gospels, someone did bring a few minor details to my attention that weren't in the Gospels but no biggie.

I found it graphic, yet realistic. I almost felt like I was really there watching all this happen. It was in aramaic, with english subtitles, that really added to the effect. There was usually music in the background and it was fairly emotional sounding. That also added to it. I found myself looking away quite often, closing my eyes.

I found this scene to be graphic:

When they had Jesus cuffed to a stone block and there were two men hitting him with a cat of nine tails (pieces of bone and glass on the ends of strap type things). At one point the ends got stuck in his flesh and the guy kind of stopped then pulled it out and laughed when the blood splattered on him. That was just too much.

I didn't find it anti-semetic for many reasons:

In the movie it was Gibson's hand that ran the spike into Jesus's hand, That was done to show that the bible states that it wasn't the Jewish people that killed Jesus, but it was everyones sin. We are all responsible for Jesus being nailed to the cross but that was the whole purpose of his death in the first place. I watched the interview with Mel Gibson on NBC Dateline a week ago where he talked about this particular scene. I personally found it kind of disturbing to watch but oh well.

Also, when Pontious Pilate is trying Jesus, Jesus says to him something along the lines of "what he says does not matter, and that God's will will be done."

There was a Jewish man taunting Jesus while he's on the cross, he yells at him to come down if he is the messiah, then Jesus says "forgive them father, for they know not what they do". He said that a few times throughout the movie.

After all that if people still find it anti-semetic then oh well.

Overall, it was good, but I left there feeling miserable.