• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Orioles win the American League East, have the best record in the American League, and have won 100 games after losing more than 100 two years ago

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself

I was born in Baltimore, and I am so proud! Just for a second I saw Cal Ripken, Jr. in the crowd.

Last edited:

Truthseeker

The glory years for the Orioles were between 1966 and 1985. They were in 6 world series in that time frame, won three in in 1966, 1970, and 1983, and had 18 straight winning seasons from1968 and 1985. They have been inconsistent since, more often than not having a losing record. Their last previous 100 win season was in 1980, and from 1969 to 1971 had three straight 100 win seasons, and were in the world series all three of those seasons, winning one over the Reds in large part because of the recently deceased Brooks Robinson, who was among the most obvious MVPs of a world series that year, both with his magic glove which he was most renowned for and with the bat.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The glory years for the Orioles were between 1966 and 1985. They were in 6 world series in that time frame, won three in in 1966, 1970, and 1983, and had 18 straight winning seasons from1968 and 1985. They have been inconsistent since, more often than not having a losing record. Their last previous 100 win season was in 1980, and from 1969 to 1971 had three straight 100 win seasons, and were in the world series all three of those seasons, winning one over the Reds in large part because of the recently deceased Brooks Robinson, who was among the most obvious MVPs of a world series that year, both with his magic glove which he was most renowned for and with the bat.
Well, we have something in common. I think I saw that play by Brooks Robinson in real time many years ago. The year they had 4 20 game winners, (I used to be able to name them ... all I can remember right now is Jim Palmer, and Mike Cuellar I think ... would have to look it up) we were fishing at the local river, and I stayed by the old truck listening to the radio broadcast. Our school principal used to bring in a TV and we'd watch the games at school. That was way before night baseball. They are my second favorite team this year after the Jays (Canadian ethnocentricity). I'm an ABY (Anybody but the Yankees) die hard, so this is a great year for that.

Truthseeker

Well, we have something in common. I think I saw that play by Brooks Robinson in real time many years ago. The year they had 4 20 game winners, (I used to be able to name them ... all I can remember right now is Jim Palmer, and Mike Cuellar I think ... would have to look it up) we were fishing at the local river, and I stayed by the old truck listening to the radio broadcast. Our school principal used to bring in a TV and we'd watch the games at school. That was way before night baseball. They are my second favorite team this year after the Jays (Canadian ethnocentricity). I'm an ABY (Anybody but the Yankees) die hard, so this is a great year for that.
I've been someone also who doesn't like the Yankees. It's not as strong as it used to be as the Orioles have often ben a non-factor in the baseball race in recent years. Baseball, to tell the truth rates behand football and basketball as a sport for me. The four pitchers that won 20 games are Jim Palmer, Mike Cuellar, Dave McNally, and Pat Dobson. Pat Dobson is the anomaly of the four. That was in 1971, the first time they lost to the Pittsburgh Pirates in the world series. They also lost to the Pirates in 1979.

My interest in sports in general has seen a general waning over the years.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have been the arch-rival of the Baltimore Ravens for a long time, but now that is changing after the retirement of Big Ben. The Ravens have been successful as a franchise, being a contender for many years, and winning the Super Bowl after the 2000 and 2012 season. I used to hate the Green Bay Packers in the 1960s as they stood in the Baltimore Colts with Johnny Unitas' way. I don't hate teams like that any more. Later I rooted for the Packers when they were not a competitor with the Baltimore teams. I liked Brett Favre, and they were fortunate to have Aaron Rodgers follow him immediately.

I became a fan of the San Antonio Spurs when I lived in San Antonio for 3 years from 1982-85. They were 2nd only to the Los Angeles Lakers at that time. More recently they won 5 NBA titles. I liked the Baltimore Bullets, who became the Capitol Bullets, then the Washington Bullets, then the Washington Wizards. My fandom for them waned over the years.

For some reason I never have gone for college football, but I like college basketball. I lived in North Carolina once for 6 years and thus North Carolina teams have been my favorite since, specifically the North Carolina Tar Heels and the Duke Blue Devils. They are considered arch-rivals, but I like both of them.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I've been someone also who doesn't like the Yankees. It's not as strong as it used to be as the Orioles have often ben a non-factor in the baseball race in recent years. Baseball, to tell the truth rates behand football and basketball as a sport for me. The four pitchers that won 20 games are Jim Palmer, Mike Cuellar, Dave McNally, and Pat Dobson. Pat Dobson is the anomaly of the four. That was in 1971, the first time they lost to the Pittsburgh Pirates in the world series. They also lost to the Pirates in 1979.

My interest in sports in general has seen a general waning over the years.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have been the arch-rival of the Baltimore Ravens for a long time, but now that is changing after the retirement of Big Ben. The Ravens have been successful as a franchise, being a contender for many years, and winning the Super Bowl after the 2000 and 2012 season. I used to hate the Green Bay Packers in the 1960s as they stood in the Baltimore Colts with Johnny Unitas' way. I don't hate teams like that any more. Later I rooted for the Packers when they were not a competitor with the Baltimore teams. I liked Brett Favre, and they were fortunate to have Aaron Rodgers follow him immediately.

I became a fan of the San Antonio Spurs when I lived in San Antonio for 3 years from 1982-85. They were 2nd only to the Los Angeles Lakers at that time. More recently they won 5 NBA titles. I liked the Baltimore Bullets, who became the Capitol Bullets, then the Washington Bullets, then the Washington Wizards. My fandom for them waned over the years.

For some reason I never have gone for college football, but I like college basketball. I lived in North Carolina once for 6 years and thus North Carolina teams have been my favorite since, specifically the North Carolina Tar Heels and the Duke Blue Devils. They are considered arch-rivals, but I like both of them.
I'm really just an appreciator of the skill involved, like just how hard it is to throw a ball that accurately, or hit one with a bat. I also love the strategy part, and am an admirer of off field charity that some athletes have done. The hate the Yankees' stuff is just for fun, much like creating a character in acting, or writing. I learned it from my Dad who saw the bigger picture and fake hated any team somebody was an avid fan of, just to get a rise.

I wish there was far more gender equality, and would love to see a parallel NBA or NHL set up, with matching names, like in college. Congrats to Tennis, and Billie Jean King for that in one sport.