• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The old ones chance..........

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
To run concurrently with tcprowling's "The young ones chance", To all those who are old enough to have teenage children, I wonder if you have said any of the following to your children; come on, own up!:p

"You just treat this house as a hotel!"

"I never received presents like you do, when I was your age; and yet you still grumble"........

"I don't care if all your friends are wearing expensive trainers at school, the ones at £20 are just as good as the high profile expensive branded ones!"

"When I was young, Iwas never allowed to leave food on my plate! If I did, it was given to me to finish off at the next mealtime!!"

Come on, wwn up!:D I you have some to add, feel free...........

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
Okay, so I'm only 20, but I've seen how younger generations, my generation, will sometimes treat their elders. Yes, mum and dad, grandma and grandpa, etc., make mistakes, they're only human, but they've been through and seen things that we can only read about in our history books. My great-grandparents, for instance, saw the switch from horses and buggies to automobiles, they saw the creation of the home television, power washing machines...heck, even my grandparents didn't have electricity and plumbing in their homes until they were about my age or older. Can you imagine going from that to cellphones, computers, etc.? I mean, wow! As a young person, I have so much admiration and respect for these people, for you folks, my parents' generation included. You're not God, but you do have knowledge and experience that I don't, and in some cases, will or may never have. I think that a lot of young people tend to forget that, or they've simply not yet realized it.

My $0.02,
Crystal

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
michel said:
To run concurrently with tcprowling's "The young ones chance", To all those who are old enough to have teenage children, I wonder if you have said any of the following to your children; come on, own up!:p

"You just treat this house as a hotel!"

"I never received presents like you do, when I was your age; and yet you still grumble"........

"I don't care if all your friends are wearing expensive trainers at school, the ones at £20 are just as good as the high profile expensive branded ones!"

"When I was young, Iwas never allowed to leave food on my plate! If I did, it was given to me to finish off at the next mealtime!!"

Come on, wwn up!:D I you have some to add, feel free...........
I can't remember saying any of those things specifically, but here's one thing I said -- a lot:

"I can't even imagine having spoken to my parents they way you speak to your dad and me!"

zombieharlot

Some Kind of Strange
Katzpur said:
I can't remember saying any of those things specifically, but here's one thing I said -- a lot:

"I can't even imagine having spoken to my parents they way you speak to your dad and me!"

That's funny. When I would get scolded, I used to say, " Can you even imagine your parents speaking to you the way you speak to me!?!"

c0da

Haha, that sounds familiar. "I'd have got a smack if I'd have spoke to my parents the way you do!"

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Katzpur said:

Yes, I identify with that one!

tcprowling

"In my day.........."
" There are millions of starving people in this world who would be gratful for the food you leave on your plate"
Just a side line to that one my kids came up with a reply " well send it to them!"
" One day you'll remember what i have just said then you will be sorry"
this was always very Tongue in cheek " I bought you into this world and I can take you out.. now do as you are told!"
Crumble bum TC:D

Booko

Deviled Hen
michel said:

I admit to this one!

Hm...what else?

"It looks like your room was hit by a tornado."

"Can you spell 'deodorant'? Knew you could!"

My versions of "when I was young":

"When I was young, I would never have been able to have non-white friends."

"When I was young, we just did our homework. No one had to tell us to."

"When I was young, we didn't walk down the street with our pants hanging off our arse." (My kids are not tempted to do this, but we see a few cracks on the road occasionslly. :cover:)

I haven't had a lot of difficulty with the teenagers, to some extent because they seem not to be inclined to be difficult. But also, thanks to my mom-in-law's approach, on the occasions where they say they want to do something I think is pretty stupid, I don't blow up at them, I just ask, "Oh..why would you want to do that?" At that point, they actually have to think for a moment to give an answer. And they usually figure out on their own it was a pretty dim idea.

Booko

Deviled Hen
tcprowling said:
"In my day.........."
" There are millions of starving people in this world who would be gratful for the food you leave on your plate"
Just a side line to that one my kids came up with a reply " well send it to them!"

Haha...that was my retort when my mother said I should finish my food because there were people starving in India.

That, and once I asked how making myself throw up from stuffing myself too much would help anyone in India.

I didn't do that to the kids. I used to hand my husband a cup of coffee sometimes, though, and tell him to drink it because there are sleepy people in India. :run: