• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The nuclear family. For Better or For Worse?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Are you being super-snarky? Is the author?

Seriously, practically everything in that article is wrong.

(4) Peace and Harmony:
Peace and harmony are very much essential for a pleasant family life. In nuclear families there is no misunderstanding and they enjoy a harmonious atmosphere by living together.

No misunderstanding in a household where the bio-parents live hundreds of miles away from the people who know them best (their parents) ? No misunderstanding between men and women with a batch of rugrats and all the stress that comes with that? In the modern world, free from the simplicity of harshly enforced gender roles?

No, I don't think so. Modern people need their elders now more than ever.
Tom

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
The article mentions that nuclear family children are more likely to develop insecurities. This definitely depends on the child and how they are taken care of. I grew up in a household with a stay-at-home mom and I've developed insecure emotions because of genetic psychological disorders. If my parents hadn't understood psychology and neglected any doctor visits I might not be here.

Similarly some children can benefit from being in the care of someone other than their parents. It depends on the personality of each as well as some understanding.

I would say that in general it's better to have a stay-at-home parent or designated nanny that lives with the family for younger children. Older children (12-13+) might thrive better in a nuclear family because of the high independence within the family model. Unfortunately most people depend on the school system to be nanny even for the teenaged children which is not a secure choice, especially at a younger age where parental attachment is an important part of growth.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The article mentions that nuclear family children are more likely to develop insecurities. This definitely depends on the child and how they are taken care of. I grew up in a household with a stay-at-home mom and I've developed insecure emotions because of genetic psychological disorders. If my parents hadn't understood psychology and neglected any doctor visits I might not be here.

Similarly some children can benefit from being in the care of someone other than their parents. It depends on the personality of each as well as some understanding.

I would say that in general it's better to have a stay-at-home parent or designated nanny that lives with the family for younger children. Older children (12-13+) might thrive better in a nuclear family because of the high independence within the family model. Unfortunately most people depend on the school system to be nanny even for the teenaged children which is not a secure choice, especially at a younger age where parental attachment is an important part of growth.
I think the nuclear family model is more effective at a younger age, it seems to me, most of the problems involving dysfunction occur upon reaching teenage and young adult years. It's based on my experiences from the 60s as relations with my parents quickly cooled as I reached my mid-to-late teenager years. I do think however the nuclear model has gotten more of a black eye than it deserves.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
The "nuclear family" is not the "traditional family" and is not global. Other societies actually still have strong families across the generations. It's a result of capitalism and its atomizing effects, along with urbanization. It used to be that most people lived on farms with several generations of the family living together. People didn't go far. There was none of this having to travel long distances to "see the family" for holidays and nursing homes didn't exist because grandma and grandpa lived with their children and grandchildren. Everyone helped around the farm and took care of each other.

I see the nuclear family model as depressing and isolating. We didn't evolve to live our lives like that. We have epidemic rates of mental illness and I think a huge reason why is because of this sick "dog eat dog" society. Instead of having closeness and support, you're expected to get out when you turn 18, become a wage slave and then create your own copy of the two parents and 2.5 kids in the 'burbs meme. I find it hollow and dehumanizing.

Twilight Hue

The "nuclear family" is not the "traditional family" and is not global. Other societies actually still have strong families across the generations. It's a result of capitalism and its atomizing effects, along with urbanization. It used to be that most people lived on farms with several generations of the family living together. People didn't go far. There was none of this having to travel long distances to "see the family" for holidays and nursing homes didn't exist because grandma and grandpa lived with their children and grandchildren. Everyone helped around the farm and took care of each other.

I see the nuclear family model as depressing and isolating. We didn't evolve to live our lives like that. We have epidemic rates of mental illness and I think a huge reason why is because of this sick "dog eat dog" society. Instead of having closeness and support, you're expected to get out when you turn 18, become a wage slave and then create your own copy of the two parents and 2.5 kids in the 'burbs meme. I find it hollow and dehumanizing.
It said to have originated in the 13th century in England. It's a traditional model.

The Real Roots of the Nuclear Family

Twilight Hue

Maybe it did. But that doesn't render my criticisms moot.
No. Nor do I disagree that dysfunctional families arise from the nuclear model. It just appears that Society has gotten a lot more chaotic since the nuclear model became more diminished.

It seems like a win-lose situation when it comes to the nuclear family. Mostly with the rise of latchkey children and the rise of gang affiliation to fill the gap from my understanding of what people are saying about it.

I think the classic stereotype of the beer-guzzling wife beating Man of the House demanding his dinner has done a lot to vilify the nuclear model. Not to say it never happens but it is atypical.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
No. Nor do I disagree that dysfunctional families arise from the nuclear model. It just appears that Society has gotten a lot more chaotic since the nuclear model became more diminished.

It seems like a win-lose situation when it comes to the nuclear family. Mostly with the rise of latchkey children and the rise of gang affiliation to fill the gap from my understanding of what people are saying about it.

I think the classic stereotype of the beer-guzzling wife beating Man of the House demanding his dinner has done a lot to vilify the nuclear model. Not to say it never happens but it is atypical.
I do think the breakdown of the family is a huge concern. I know it is, seeing as I come from an extremely broken family. My dad ran off when I was young and I only have memories of him abusing me and doing illegal things. My extended families were no better. Full of abuse and hatred. I have zero contact with any of my family except for my oldest sister and even that's tenuous. I'm all alone.

Twilight Hue

I do think the breakdown of the family is a huge concern. I know it is, seeing as I come from an extremely broken family. My dad ran off when I was young and I only have memories of him abusing me and doing illegal things. My extended families were no better. Full of abuse and hatred. I have zero contact with any of my family except for my oldest sister and even that's tenuous. I'm all alone.
I was distance from my parents after my teenage years things went pretty sour myself. I have a sister but she lives in Alaska and is fiercely independent. She would rather forget our family situation and I respect that. Both my parents are dead now.

I tend to lean toward the adage that you can't choose your family but you can choose your friends.

I ended up envying my friends when I was a teenager and young adult who lived in the same family model, but were very close and tight with each other. I came to the conclusion that it's just the luck of the draw.